No rating

Park Maitland School

Private | PK-6

Our school is best known for our "whole-child" approach.

Posted June 3, 2014

We have had below average experiences at Park Maitland. We have 3 boys currently at the school. I find that boys and girls have very different experiences at the school. I have noticed that most positive reviews involve girls at the school. Park Maitland does not need an overhaul just a good clean up with some of the faculty members and leadership. Beautiful campus though even if on the small side.

Posted June 1, 2014

My daughter just graduated from Park Maitland on 5/29/14. After spending first grade in Lakemont elementary and having bad experiences with two teachers that treated quite disrespectfully, I decided to switch her over to Park Maitland. She has blossomed remarkably well. Within two weeks at Park Maitland her vocabulary increased two times fold. Her manners and demeanor also became softer and since we were going through a divorce; I was amazed by the care and guidance the in school counselors provided. Their phone message is "Growing leaders every day.." -I couldn't agree more! The love and relationships she has developed with her classmates will last her a lifetime! Thank You Park Maitland!!!

Posted May 27, 2014

My daughter finally has made it to her 6th Grade graduation. She is the 4th and last child to graduate from PMS. I must comment on the last post. Yes your child will be well prepared but to say over prepared really diminishes your credibility as a parent (if that is what you truly are!!!). Every child is different and they will find out quickly that there are many other kids just as bright (or even brighter!!) than they are led to believe by the PMS adminstration. OK enough criticism. The school is a caring environment and your children are well nurtured. My first child graduated 14 years ago and the changes at the school are obvious and commented on by us "oldtimers" that knew and loved Mrs. Cohen. PMS is still a good school but they have lost their ways when it comes to discipline and its advantage over other schools.

Posted May 25, 2014

My daughter is finishing her sixth grade year at Park Maitland. This has been the most fun year of school, and she is well prepared, if not over prepared, for middle school. Thank you Park Maitland for a memorable elementary experience that was worth every penny.

Posted May 9, 2014

Boy, do I disagree with some recent comments! With so many more outside societal influences, the one thing that has remained constant for my children is the warm, nurturing environment at Park Maitland. The teachers are the best in town, both in content and care, and the school stresses leadership and manners. No school today is without these "hot button" issues. To think Park Maitland does not care, is not what I have encountered. I have had no problem with administration. To me the fact that they employ a full-time guidance counselor and hold parent chats throughout the year designed to help parents navigate adolescence just shows they understand how hard it is to raise children today. I have a boy who LOVES Park Maitland. He has PE, recess, or swimming everyday. What other schools still do that along with the arts? He is definitely a "boy's boy", and has no problems fitting into the "mold" parents love to talk about. I know everyone has to find the right fit and am saddened to think any child does not enjoy their experience at school, but we have to remember that they ARE kids, and they are ALL growing and maturing. I love that Park Maitland understands this.

Posted May 9, 2014

My husband and I were not from the area and felt we were fortunate to have the opportunity to look at several schools in the area. We chose Park Maitland School and after eight years of education have never regretted our wise and informed decision. The staff is welcoming, wonderful, intelligent, and inclusive. We made many friends for life as did our daughter. The school is amazing. The educational foundation has served us well as our daughter has graduated and gone on to another great preparatory school where the skills she learned socially, emotionally, and academically have continued to serve her well and contribute to her success. We are grateful to have found such a great school.

Posted May 8, 2014

THERE IS NO BETTER SCHOOL AROUND PERIOD. For any parent who truly wants a caring and challenging academic and artistic environment for their children, Park Maitland School (PM) is the place where you should send your child. Both my children recently matriculated from PM and are now thriving in Middle school and High School. I give so much credit to the teachers and administrators at PM for instilling both a thirst for knowledge and a work ethic in them which will serve them well for the rest of their lives. If you do your homework as parents, you will see that students who matriculate from PM do much better on average than their peers in High School and in SAT performance. Many PM grads go onto prestigious Universities and almost all are professionals in some capacity, be it doctors, lawyers, scientists, or business owners. Most are also pillars of the community that they choose to live in because PM teaches manners, respect and leadership to the children who attend. Don't rely on my post or on some of the other posts here as a basis for such an important educational decision. Go visit PM and you will see why this place is so very special.

Posted May 7, 2014

Park Maitland School is fantastic academically. If your child fits in the PMS mold, you will absolutely love this school. While our experience was a negative one, I know there are many people who can have a great experience with this school and love every minute of it. If you are well connected socially with the Winter Park crowd and have all girls, you will find this school to be magnificent. Most the academic teachers are truly wonderful. The supporting teachers - especially in the older grades - are not up to par. There are quite a few older teachers who have truly lost their love for children and need to retire as they have little or no patience for children. The administration was much better years ago when the owners had a more hands on approach to the daily operations of the school. The current administration is very good at telling you what you want to hear and professing love for your child but not taking any steps to fix current issues. There is a recurring theme of hiding issues under the carpet and making parents feel isolated in common issues many other families feel. other "negative" reviews are right on. This is the "mean girl" school of central florida.

Posted May 5, 2014

After 3 difficult years, we decided to pull our daughter out of Park Maitland at the end of this school year. There are children that are just bullies and must see this behavior at home. While most parents are nice, the loudest parents rule the school. They teach their children to be mean to others as the administration looks the other way. The school makes excuse after excuse when they are asked about the kids that are constantly bullying others. While the education is good, the horrible attitude among higher ups is just too much to tolerate.

Posted October 31, 2013

My child attended Park Maitland for a couple of years, and we eventually made the decision to withdraw - The school is very good with public and community relations so their reputation seemingly withstands obvious faults. I strongly suggest that parents judge a school for themselves and not take any one review as the final word. That being stated, I would not recommend the school. The truth is that there are limited options for education in Orlando, and Park Maitland is one of the few decent options available. At the same time, real issues are masked by forced and false sincerity that is motivated by the need for revenue. Behavioral and other problems within the classroom are handled more from a political approach than one that puts the children s interests first. The social environment is like a competitive high school clique that relentlessly tries to out shine each other. If you choose to enroll here, just make sure you are ready to return fake smiles and keep quiet because if you or your child expresses anything that may challenge their heavily manipulated image of perfection, you will be treated like a pariah; although, they will happily continue to take your money.

Posted June 23, 2013

This is no doubt one of the best schools in the area academically. My children love going to school and are receiving a great, well-rounded education. I would prefer a larger school - this school can become too small as your child gets older - socially limiting. I would prefer a more flexible curriculum or opportunities to expand beyond a rigid course structure. I have one child that could willingly stretch in areas of interest that aren't offered at this school. Teachers are very committed, caring, and responsive. Administrative staff members (some, not all) can be less responsive than they were in the past (not always returning phone calls - not engaged). The pace is fast throughout the school year. This is not a school for the parent looking for a social outlet - the school is really focused on it's program your child., including art, PE, swimming. Most problems are with entitled parents (not kids) and are par for the course at most private schools - competition, cliques, etc. Worth the price - definite areas for improvement.

Posted April 16, 2013

Our daughter attends this school, and she absolutely loves it. The curriculum and activities are very involved. Even the youngest kids have 6 or 7 different classes throughout the week. The school is very expensive, but you get what you pay for. A few people seem to be upset with the snobbishness of the other parents, but I think that is more their personal feelings than that of the children and shouldn't be taken into consideration. All of the parents seem very involved, and sometimes you have to fight for spaces to volunteer. We have found that all of the activities can be overwhelming as parents, but the kids love them. We haven't had to deal with a learning disability, but I can see how this would be a terrible place for a child with a learning disability; there is a lot asked of the kids. We are very very happy with Park Maitland. If you can get past the price tag, snobbish parents, and stringent curriculum it's definitely giving your child the best chance to succeed.

Posted March 31, 2013

We did a lot of research before sending our two children to Park Maitland. I am incredibly satisfied.

Posted January 12, 2013

In my five years at Park Maitland, I've experienced a school that truly cares for students like an extended family. The administrative team is exceptional, and the teachers are remarkable. I can't imagine a better place for children and for parents that want to be involved in their child's education. Every day is not perfect, but I wouldn't expect it to be. However, I truly believe that the desire to make every day perfect is there. That's why Park Maitland continues to show me it's the best school for my family!

Posted July 13, 2012

I admit that PM is not for everyone. However, it has been a great fit for us, though that fit was not immediate. We did have adjustment issues the first year for our son and us--it's a huge change from preschool or public school. Academic standards are high and higher order thinking skills (problem-solving, reflection, etc.)are taught starting in K-4. Class material averages about 1/2 - 1 year above grade level. On top of academics, children are taught leadership skills, public speaking, drama, art, music, spanish, computers (1:1 iPads for 6th grade starting Fall 2012) swimming, giving back to the community, etiquette, and healthy life styles. With no church affiliation, they embrace all beliefs instead of simply ignoring them. So far, I haven't met a teacher or admin yet that didn't seem to honestly love their job and be genuinely concerned for my sons well being. I've been even more impressed with the students and graduates-teenagers that are confident, articulate, and look you in the eye when speaking. Today my entire family loves this school and were are extremely happy with our choice.

Posted June 30, 2012

Overall I believe Park Maitland offers a strong and well structured academic program. Most teachers are outstanding and the environment is welcoming and lovely. The school strives to produce well rounded, community conscious students. As a parent I have found the experience to be challenging as many parents are aloof and most certainly judgmental. My child loves the school and as long as he/she remains happy we will continue to attend.

Posted May 30, 2012

This is the "Mean Girls" school of Orlando. If your child is can handle a one year ahead academic program, has exemplary behavior and needs little food, down time or recess, then you will love it. It is the prettiest school around - beautiful campus, beautiful people, extraordinary academics and incredible enrichment experiences. However, if your child does not fit this mod, they will make you miserable. This for-profit school is relentless in its pursuit of perfection. Kindergarteners in tutoring, way too many children on behavioral medication, administrative resistance to accommodations, child being allowed to bully other children about behavior, developmentally inappropriate projects that enhance the school's image but teach the children nothing, and intolerance of quirks. These mean girls pester parents insistently to mold the children into the expectation and do not hesitate to dismiss a child if the child cannot adapt to the mold - even when the child is happy, getting good grades and siblings are encouraged to stay. This school is only interested in easy to manage children who will keep the perfect image up and make life easy for its talented but underpaid teachers.

Posted April 29, 2012

The following is an opinion based on our experience. We suggest you come to your own conclusions after further research. For us,Park Maitland was an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions on every level. They let us down very badly. The school is educationally inflexible and unable or unwilling to meet the simplest of accomodations. The pupil profile is in our opinion unacceptably narrow and profoundly elitist.The school is principally concerned with its own image and reputation and dispalys an exceedingly high opinion of itself. Almost every square inch of the campus is dedicated to fee generation - there is not even a dining room. The playing field is a postage stamp of artificial grass. There is a swimming pool.. The most serious charge though is that despite the fact these people continually talk of "loving" your child, they are incapable of even the most basic of accomodations, telling us our child had a disabilty, involving us in thousands of dollars of testing and opinions, when all that was required (as proved since leaving) was an educational environment that tolerated diversity. They made our lives a misery for two years. We will never forgive them.

Posted March 7, 2011

This school has been absolutely fantastic for my 9 year old. Holistic approach. Very warm. Excellent teachers and administration. Some snoot factor but not overwhelming. Worth every dime as far as my wife and I are concerned.

Posted September 28, 2010

Park Maitland school is the best! It provides all academic additional support when children need it. It also teaches children important values in life that train the children to be good community members. Parents have all kind of opportunities to to get involved with their children's learning and developing process if they are willing to participate. It certainly is NOT a place for parents who do not wish to challenge their children in anyway, or those who are not willing to be part of their kids's learning process. We love Park Maitland!!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

Po Box 941095