Park Maitland School

Private | PK-6

Our school is best known for our "whole-child" approach.

Sweep tile

Posted October 31, 2013

My child attended Park Maitland for a couple of years, and we eventually made the decision to withdraw - The school is very good with public and community relations so their reputation seemingly withstands obvious faults. I strongly suggest that parents judge a school for themselves and not take any one review as the final word. That being stated, I would not recommend the school. The truth is that there are limited options for education in Orlando, and Park Maitland is one of the few decent options available. At the same time, real issues are masked by forced and false sincerity that is motivated by the need for revenue. Behavioral and other problems within the classroom are handled more from a political approach than one that puts the children s interests first. The social environment is like a competitive high school clique that relentlessly tries to out shine each other. If you choose to enroll here, just make sure you are ready to return fake smiles and keep quiet because if you or your child expresses anything that may challenge their heavily manipulated image of perfection, you will be treated like a pariah; although, they will happily continue to take your money.

Posted August 20, 2013

I have to agree with the previous poster. It is a socially limiting school with in attentive administrators. I would not recommend keeping your child at PMS for sixth grade as it doing an injustice to them when they get to middle school (at least on the social level). It is a school geared to girls as they progress through their education at PMS.

Posted June 23, 2013

This is no doubt one of the best schools in the area academically. My children love going to school and are receiving a great, well-rounded education. I would prefer a larger school - this school can become too small as your child gets older - socially limiting. I would prefer a more flexible curriculum or opportunities to expand beyond a rigid course structure. I have one child that could willingly stretch in areas of interest that aren't offered at this school. Teachers are very committed, caring, and responsive. Administrative staff members (some, not all) can be less responsive than they were in the past (not always returning phone calls - not engaged). The pace is fast throughout the school year. This is not a school for the parent looking for a social outlet - the school is really focused on it's program your child., including art, PE, swimming. Most problems are with entitled parents (not kids) and are par for the course at most private schools - competition, cliques, etc. Worth the price - definite areas for improvement.

Posted May 28, 2013

Here is my opinion of Park Maitland. We have had 3 children graduate from Park Maitland and have 1 student currently at the school. Academically, it is fantastic and the kids are well prepared for wherever they continue their education. Teachers are mostly good and well versed in their subject matter. It is definitely not the same school that it was years ago. The administration really tries to please parents but any interaction with them is just a bunch of BS. They say that they will definitely work on whatever concerns that you may have but there is no follow through. Would we send the kids to Park Maitland again? When the sisters ran the school, it was a definite yes. Now with Mrs. Moon at the head, it would be a tough call.

Posted April 16, 2013

Our daughter attends this school, and she absolutely loves it. The curriculum and activities are very involved. Even the youngest kids have 6 or 7 different classes throughout the week. The school is very expensive, but you get what you pay for. A few people seem to be upset with the snobbishness of the other parents, but I think that is more their personal feelings than that of the children and shouldn't be taken into consideration. All of the parents seem very involved, and sometimes you have to fight for spaces to volunteer. We have found that all of the activities can be overwhelming as parents, but the kids love them. We haven't had to deal with a learning disability, but I can see how this would be a terrible place for a child with a learning disability; there is a lot asked of the kids. We are very very happy with Park Maitland. If you can get past the price tag, snobbish parents, and stringent curriculum it's definitely giving your child the best chance to succeed.

Posted March 31, 2013

We did a lot of research before sending our two children to Park Maitland. I am incredibly satisfied.

Posted January 12, 2013

In my five years at Park Maitland, I've experienced a school that truly cares for students like an extended family. The administrative team is exceptional, and the teachers are remarkable. I can't imagine a better place for children and for parents that want to be involved in their child's education. Every day is not perfect, but I wouldn't expect it to be. However, I truly believe that the desire to make every day perfect is there. That's why Park Maitland continues to show me it's the best school for my family!

Posted July 13, 2012

I admit that PM is not for everyone. However, it has been a great fit for us, though that fit was not immediate. We did have adjustment issues the first year for our son and us--it's a huge change from preschool or public school. Academic standards are high and higher order thinking skills (problem-solving, reflection, etc.)are taught starting in K-4. Class material averages about 1/2 - 1 year above grade level. On top of academics, children are taught leadership skills, public speaking, drama, art, music, spanish, computers (1:1 iPads for 6th grade starting Fall 2012) swimming, giving back to the community, etiquette, and healthy life styles. With no church affiliation, they embrace all beliefs instead of simply ignoring them. So far, I haven't met a teacher or admin yet that didn't seem to honestly love their job and be genuinely concerned for my sons well being. I've been even more impressed with the students and graduates-teenagers that are confident, articulate, and look you in the eye when speaking. Today my entire family loves this school and were are extremely happy with our choice.

Posted June 30, 2012

Overall I believe Park Maitland offers a strong and well structured academic program. Most teachers are outstanding and the environment is welcoming and lovely. The school strives to produce well rounded, community conscious students. As a parent I have found the experience to be challenging as many parents are aloof and most certainly judgmental. My child loves the school and as long as he/she remains happy we will continue to attend.

Posted May 30, 2012

This is the "Mean Girls" school of Orlando. If your child is can handle a one year ahead academic program, has exemplary behavior and needs little food, down time or recess, then you will love it. It is the prettiest school around - beautiful campus, beautiful people, extraordinary academics and incredible enrichment experiences. However, if your child does not fit this mod, they will make you miserable. This for-profit school is relentless in its pursuit of perfection. Kindergarteners in tutoring, way too many children on behavioral medication, administrative resistance to accommodations, child being allowed to bully other children about behavior, developmentally inappropriate projects that enhance the school's image but teach the children nothing, and intolerance of quirks. These mean girls pester parents insistently to mold the children into the expectation and do not hesitate to dismiss a child if the child cannot adapt to the mold - even when the child is happy, getting good grades and siblings are encouraged to stay. This school is only interested in easy to manage children who will keep the perfect image up and make life easy for its talented but underpaid teachers.

Posted April 29, 2012

The following is an opinion based on our experience. We suggest you come to your own conclusions after further research. For us,Park Maitland was an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions on every level. They let us down very badly. The school is educationally inflexible and unable or unwilling to meet the simplest of accomodations. The pupil profile is in our opinion unacceptably narrow and profoundly elitist.The school is principally concerned with its own image and reputation and dispalys an exceedingly high opinion of itself. Almost every square inch of the campus is dedicated to fee generation - there is not even a dining room. The playing field is a postage stamp of artificial grass. There is a swimming pool.. The most serious charge though is that despite the fact these people continually talk of "loving" your child, they are incapable of even the most basic of accomodations, telling us our child had a disabilty, involving us in thousands of dollars of testing and opinions, when all that was required (as proved since leaving) was an educational environment that tolerated diversity. They made our lives a misery for two years. We will never forgive them.

Posted March 7, 2011

This school has been absolutely fantastic for my 9 year old. Holistic approach. Very warm. Excellent teachers and administration. Some snoot factor but not overwhelming. Worth every dime as far as my wife and I are concerned.

Posted September 28, 2010

Park Maitland school is the best! It provides all academic additional support when children need it. It also teaches children important values in life that train the children to be good community members. Parents have all kind of opportunities to to get involved with their children's learning and developing process if they are willing to participate. It certainly is NOT a place for parents who do not wish to challenge their children in anyway, or those who are not willing to be part of their kids's learning process. We love Park Maitland!!

Posted June 19, 2010

Park Maitland is a very discriminatory school that has to advertise hard and beg for support to keep up enrollment. They try to prove that they are warm and caring but the truth is I can't think of any worse school for a child's spirit.

Posted May 11, 2010

My children are split. One loves it and the others hate it. Park Maitland has a great curriculum and safety but its teacher quality is 3 stars, parent involvement 2.5 stars, discipline 3 stars and leadership 3 stars are lacking.

Posted May 9, 2010

My child has attended Park Maitland for 5 years now since K-4. It provides an excellent learning environment and a very warm, loving atmosphere. I do wish that there were more advanced classes for children who are above average or gifted though.

Posted February 11, 2009

Our son went to Park Maitland from grades 1-5. Park Maitland provides the finest education imaginable, in a warm, supportive environment. We moved last year; our son now attends a very prestigious private school in our new city--but it doesn't hold a candle to Park Maitland!

Posted March 7, 2008

Excellent school! Amazing campus,teaching, and administration. I've gone there for 8 years and I wish I could still be there. The teaching has helped me through my other school that I'm at now. Great curriculum!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 9, 2007

Our daughter has been at Park Maitland since kindergarten. She is now in 3rd grade. Overall, she is very happy at the school and has a good to great relationship with her teachers. She has many friends and there is little conflict, if any at all. School uniforms probably help with any potential petty competition. The curriculum is rigorous and we are dealing with quite a bit of homework at times. Most classes are using 4th grade materials. Teachers are accessible and teacher conferences are easy to arrange and teachers come to the conferences well prepared. The approach is to have all teachers involved if the child is having any academic or social problem. The school is expensive for the area but I feel it is money well spent.

Posted November 19, 2006

Great School But a private, for profit school. School Administration acts like Park Maitland is a charity which it is not.

Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

P.O. Box 941095