483 students|Brevard

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School 5

Posted November 22, 2015
Amazing Environment with High Academic Standards and well rounded Arts/Drama/Music Programs. Our family has been very impressed with RLS overall. I feel I can provide an honest overview and comparison as I have had children in private school and other choice schools in this same area. We transferred our daughter to RLS in 3rd grade form another highly ranked choice school in CB. I was not extremely pleased with her 3rd grade teacher but guess what? He no longer teaches there anymore. That's right if teachers are not the best then don't stay here. Trust me this is good thing. Most of the teachers at RLS are amazing and so are the staff. The principal runs a tight ship and yes he could smile a little more (this elementary school not college) but I am sure he has a great deal of pressure and demands riding on his shoulders. I have noticed one thing about the Choice schools in brevard county (both elementary and Jr/HS) they are under tremendous scrutiny by everyone: the parents, the county, the state, and the community. The county is constantly threatening to cut special funding and programs to these schools and shut them down. Talk about stress. These school are under more pressure to prove their worth and benefit to the community and educational system on a regular basis. I am a highly academic, analytical, type A personality and I would not let my child attend RLS if I thought she was going to get a mediocre education. She is learning STEAM and it is intergrated into every component of her day from art, dance, music, mathematics, language arts, and science. Like I said, every school has their good and bad. RLS has way more good from what I have observed. The 5th grade teachers are amazing. The principal is great, he just seems to be very stressed the past 2 years and I can't blame him. The county has tried to shut down Choice schools for no good reason. The took away corridor bussing which was critical to getting students to the school. The principal has to deal with the all politics at the county level. I blame the Brevard County School system for not giving schools and teachers the tools they need to succeed. Our school rankings are dropping in Brevard County and it's the counties fault. We even got a 1/2 cent tax increase to help alleviate the financial pressures on the education system and the county is mismanaging this money.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 22, 2015
Mrs. Hertzog, 5th grade teacher at RLS We want to thank her for being the most amazing teacher our younger daughter has ever had. Mrs. Hertzog is compassionate, caring, fun, she challenges the kids, and makes every day at RLS a great day. I wish I could go back to school just so I could have her as a teacher. She has built my daughters confidence and also taught my daughter so much that I don't have enough words of gratitude. Mrs. Hertzog teachers at a choice school and has to teach common core, STEAM, LDC and she does all of this with great ease and joy. She never complains and never acts like anything is too challenging. She encourages all kids to strive to their personal best and work their hardest. She is the most amazing teacher and we feel so luck to have her at RLS.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 22, 2015
Most of the teachers are excellent. The best I have ever seen and I have had kids in school system for 15 years.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 22, 2015
Some might think it's too much homework. I think it's just right. I want my kids to be challenged. If the school doesn't give enough homework then I will. We need to challenge our kids so they can be competitive in a global society.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted November 22, 2015
YES! I remember the first time I heard this term Grits was from my daughters 4th grade teacher. When she explained the concept I was thrilled. I loved it. Yes, we should not give our kids everything on silver platter. WE don't need more entitled kids.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted November 22, 2015
Absolutely. Students are encouraged to free thinkers and explore ideas. This helps students feel respected for their ideas and they feel like valuable parts of the school community.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted November 22, 2015
Students help each other and there is very little bullying or mean aggressive behavior at RLS. Teachers model this behavior and teach students how to handle conflict in proper ways. Of course again these behaviors should be modeled at home but to have a school that reinforces and models good ethics, values, morals is also wonderful.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 22, 2015
Well I think RLS promotes all these values and characteristics. They have towne hall meetings where they promote and encourage honesty, integrity, and fairness. I do think parents need to also encourage this at home. My daughter is so honest that a teacher reported she had a 96 on a test and my daughter in fact had a 92 and asked the teacher to fix her grade to reflect the 92!

Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School 5

Posted May 13, 2014
Our daughter attended Stevenson for fifth and sixth grades after spending four years at her assigned (based on our street address) school. She wasn't being challenged at her assigned school but when she started attending Stevenson the workload increase easily 2x. I think this kind of experience could lead the student and or parent to feel overwhelmed and therefore start asking for help from the school and give negative reviews if their student's situation doesn't change. I could be wrong but my personal opinion is that those giving low markings to Stevenson fall in this camp. So first of all be aware of the increase in workload. However if you or your child are results driven and care about FCAT scores as well as GPA, then this school maybe ideally suited for you the parent (who would be required to provide volunteer hours) or your child (who would have to work twice as hard if not more than a regular school). Based on statistics, if your child is an FCAT 3 category, the school is not for your child. But if your child is FCAT 4/5 student and also willing to work to assignments and projects that go well beyond his or her assigned school, then this school maybe for your child

Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School 1

Posted February 09, 2014
Funny how the negative reviews that tell it exactly how it is at Stevenson, disappear!!!! Disturbing. Do not subject YOUR child to this degrading, unfriendly atmosphere. Almost all the great teachers leave and go elsewhere...what does that tell you?

1450 Martin Boulevard, Merritt Island, FL  32952
Last modified Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.