Posted May 13, 2014
Our daughter attended Stevenson for fifth and sixth grades after spending four years at her assigned (based on our street address) school. She wasn't being challenged at her assigned school but when she started attending Stevenson the workload increase easily 2x. I think this kind of experience could lead the student and or parent to feel overwhelmed and therefore start asking for help from the school and give negative reviews if their student's situation doesn't change. I could be wrong but my personal opinion is that those giving low markings to Stevenson fall in this camp. So first of all be aware of the increase in workload. However if you or your child are results driven and care about FCAT scores as well as GPA, then this school maybe ideally suited for you the parent (who would be required to provide volunteer hours) or your child (who would have to work twice as hard if not more than a regular school). Based on statistics, if your child is an FCAT 3 category, the school is not for your child. But if your child is FCAT 4/5 student and also willing to work to assignments and projects that go well beyond his or her assigned school, then this school maybe for your child

Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School 1

Posted February 09, 2014
Funny how the negative reviews that tell it exactly how it is at Stevenson, disappear!!!! Disturbing. Do not subject YOUR child to this degrading, unfriendly atmosphere. Almost all the great teachers leave and go elsewhere...what does that tell you?

Posted February 08, 2014
I am very shocked by the negative remarks on this page about RLS. I am a grandmother with two grandsons who attend this school. I have had over 400 volunteer hours each year they have attended, and I am there for part of every day, so I know a good bit about what goes on here. THERE IS NO CLOSED DOOR POLICY. Yes, you do have to go through the front office to get in. That's a security issue trying to keep the bad guys out, not families! Volunteers are wanted, welcome and recruited! If you sincerely care about the quality of education your child receives and you want to be a part of it, then this is the place to be.This school consistently ranks in the top 50 elementary schools in the state of Florida. Impressive in a state with several thousand elementary schools Children at RLS wear uniforms and sign a behavior contract. There are very few discipline issues and the overall attitude of respect between staff and students creates a positive learning environment.

Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School 2

Posted December 05, 2013
Took my children out of RLS after 2 and a half years. Both children were happy to go. Strangely unbalanced environment. The school and administration seemed too focused on buzzwords and anything that could get attention for the school. Way too focused on testing! Stifling, unfriendly feeling for an art school. Many teachers have left, all teachers there are overstressed. Very involved families and good students. But after my husband was spoken down to by administration yet another time, we made the choice to leave. We now go to Tropical and our kids are thriving in our calmer neighborhood school.

Posted June 07, 2013
PART 2/2 If your child is shy, and you want her to be more social, these teachers are so understanding. I used to be the shyest kid. I would barely talk. But my teachers pushed me gently and little by little, I became more out-going. I landed a lead role in the school play! We have plays. These aren't your "1 week put together plays" These take months of planning. The script is written, music selection picked, and complicated dances. And don't be disappointed if you don't get a part, or don't get in a dance. It doesn't mean you're not talented enough. The teachers don't pick favorites. Now are you gonna listen to a student, or someone who doesn't go here?

Posted February 21, 2013
I, too, like several other parents have stated, am so happy that my daughter attends R L Stevenson Elementary School. It is a fantastic school. My daughter has attended since 3rd grade and is currently completing her 6th grade and final year at Stevenson. I am so sad that she will be leaving Stevenson. The previous writer that stated this is not an Arts school, has clearly not been to Stevenson. My daughter has Theater Arts, Drama, Orchestra, Music and Dance every week. In the past she has had traditional art classes and digital art classes. She has been in numerous productions the school has produced. Currently the entire 6th grade class is completing a Capstone project in Animation. This school is all about providing a superior education while offering numerous arts (dance, music, art, drama) classes. The teachers and administration are warm, inviting and extremely professional. The thing I love most about Stevenson is that it teaches each child to expectation, not the medium standard. What a gift that is to our children. My daughter has surpassed the challenge and now far exceeds the norm....YEAH Stevenson!!!

Posted January 17, 2013
I wasso happy when my son got in to Stevenson .He has been for 3 years now .Excellent teachers ,challenging academic programs,I was happy.The school is not for having fun it is for learning and becoming someone great in future.To the parents who are writting all the negativity about our school:unfortunatelly this school is not for you, kids, they learn a lot here with the help of Parents and teachers,if you are not willing to involve as a parent in your childs aducation thats your problem not Stevenson schoos .Love the education in Stevenson as well as challenges that comes with it.You should see my sons face whwn he reaches high score_Priceless!!!!!

Posted January 16, 2013
As a parent of a standard child who us to be an star in her old school, I was in shock when she finally got into Stevenson. She was retained in second grade, ask me if I was happy about it?. Now, she is a great student, she was able to jump her reading level from kindergarten to third grade in just one year of remediation. She really loves all her teachers, front offices staff and nurse. As a parent, I always feel welcome, informed and part of the school. I will be always great full for all they have done for my daughter.

Posted December 30, 2012
Stevenson was my oldest child's 3rd elementary school and I cannot give this school enough praise. Students are encouraged to excel and accomplish what they never dreamed they could. Teachers are incredibly devoted and caring. And, although the principal can be a bit firm, his expectations for each student is for them to achieve their personal best and nothing less. Kids are also afraid of him, which allows him to keep discipline throughout the school. As another reviewer said, the front office is hard to get past, but I'm glad they're not allowing all these parents free roam of the school. They are there to preserve a professional learning environment, not to coddle parents with attachment issues. This environment is not for everyone, but it's only one of three choice schools in the county who give students this type of challenge and put education as a priority. They employ technology, the arts, and individualized attention to go beyond what other schools are doing. The best anecdote about Stevenson I can offer is when my daughter was asked what makes someone "cool" and her answer was, "to be smart and get good grades." That is Stevenson and I am privileged to have my kids there.

Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School 1

Posted May 10, 2012
I have to completely agree with the comments warning new parent(s) of what RLS is actually about. I too have seen what goes on there and was shocked so many parents allowed a school to operate in such a poor manner. The "drop & go" parents don't see what is really happening there. They need to spend more time inside the school. (Which is extremely hard to accomplish, since it is difficult to get past the front office) However, I have talked to many parents who have stated exactly what the reviewer twice ago said. To sum up as briefly as possible, RLS is a hositle, univiting, uninspiring enivironment that believes in a negative, rather than positive teaching/reinforcement style. Parents are constantly pulling their children out of the school. And contrary to what they may want you to believe, they do it to provide their children a better educational experience. The parents who have saved their children from RLS could open your eyes to the multitude of problems there. You should try to seek them out. Also, the Arts program there is awful. The other review is 100% right. Put some art on the walls for tours, take it down right afterwards. Back to boring gray walls. Yeah School.

Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School
1450 Martin Boulevard, Merritt Island, FL  32952
Last modified Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Robert L. Stevenson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top