Public charter
Miami, FL

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted August 25, 2015
The music teachers are constantly comparing every student to another and creating an unhealthy environment for the kids.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 25, 2015
The decisions are made by the moods of the teachers, especially the principal. This is not fair for any kids. Some kids get away with things that would not be allowed for other students.

Posted August 25, 2015
This school was possibly the worse school I've gone to. Being in the music department I was really disappointing to find that because I had a high level in my field I was required to "help" -meaning teach- the kids with less knowledge of their instrument, which would have been okay if it was only once or twice but not all year long. They don't bother in actually hiring a teacher besides Mr. Djurich, who cannot possibly do it all by himself and who sometimes gets in moods and throws chairs around the room or screams his lungs out at anyone in his way (A teacher DOES NOT EVER do this to his students). The level or care towards the learning of the kids is close to none, the kids will only learn the music that the teachers have chosen for the concert, leaving out: music theory (vital in the music Kid, especially when working with elementary/middle/high school kids), music history, private lessons, amongst other EXTREMELY necessary classes to advance musically properly. There is zero tolerance for kids who struggle with their instruments due to not having a teacher, they are just toss aside and told to not play the day of the concert because they "didn't prepare" enough, being this the most absurd way of saying "I did not teach you anything this year". Being in this school for two years, I can say I would NEVER provide my kids with such a mediocre school.

Miami Arts Charter School 3

Posted April 07, 2015
I am a former student of MAC. I left this school due to the poor academics. I jumped around between 3 art programs before settling in dance. The Dance program and Theater program seemed to be the most professional teachings a teacher at this school could give. I still have a plethora of friends that attend the school. That tell me it has been the same since it had began. One thing that school does not lack are motivated teachers. This school is gull of them. Who are eager to teach. I have never saw a fight or heard of when attending this school. When I left and went to another I was not prepared for violent gang activity that almost every puplic school has. This school needs a new principal who can lead the administration in the correct direction. In my opinion Ms.Torres should take initative. She'd be perfect for the job. Overall this school taught me a lot. I made amazing friends, ate great food, learned a lot and never got stressed, and I had amazing performances. This school is self for students. Probably one of the best schools in Miami.

Posted March 10, 2015
This school is not that great in academics. If your children can do good at school, don't send them here.

Posted December 11, 2014
If you want a school to focus on arts, then this is the school for you. My child does not get much homework which is a good thing about the school. If you are going for dance, visual arts or theater you will see the change on how your child is improving. My daughter is in the chorus program and neither her and I are happy. Also this school has no gifted program or any classes for the advanced kids.

Miami Arts Charter School 4

Posted December 02, 2014
Excellent: -Teachers are passionate about material and make class interesting..my kids really LOVE a few of theirs. -They do NOT get a ton of daily homework - almost none. -They've built tutoring and retaking of tests into the school day so nobody falls too far behind. -Visual Art and Dance education are impressive. -Student population really seems like "good kids," as cliche as that sounds. -The Umatilla camp week the high schoolers do yearly is truly AMAZING. Logistical hassles: -high school gets out at 3:45 one day, 2:00 the next, based on if it's an "A" or "B" day.. One week is ABABA, the next is BABAB. Middle school ALWAYS gets out at 2:55. Having a kid at each is ridiculous. "When does school get out?" is answered with a chart. -Siblings can wait around for each other, but there is no after school care. -No free bus service; you have to pay $100s per month for private, IF it's available (not to our neighborhood). -Lunch is $4.50 per kid. That IS for high quality food, not typical school lunch. -They have had some staff turnover in a couple of slots as they get settled in.

Miami Arts Charter School 5

Posted November 14, 2014
We have opened our second campus in Homestead for the 2014-2015 school year!! As a teacher and parent, I am pleased to be a part of the MAC family. We specialize in the ARTS and offer dance, theater, music, creative writing, and vocal courses. Academic teachers offer free tutoring to students, we have 60 in televisions in each classroom that connect to our computers through WIFI so that we can offer a technologically engaging lesson. Students are positive and well behaved!! What a great environment to send your child. We have have student council for each grade level and offer many after school clubs like interior design, key club and environmental interests just to name a few. We will have an open house on Thursday December 4th from 7:00-9:00 pm. So come and check us out for yourself!!

Miami Arts Charter School 1

Posted August 22, 2014
Miami Charter's Homestead Campus is not at all what we expected. Extremely large classes. Small classrooms or rather small because of the amount of students crammed into them. The facilities are not finished, it is not ready for school for students. They are a mess. They don't even have the internet, yet they claimed to have a state of the art campus...don't be sold on a fake reality like we were.

Miami Arts Charter School 5

Posted August 15, 2014
As a parent of two children now at MAC, I am very happy with the school and have recommended it to many others. As far as the academics are concerned, students will get out if it exactly what they put in. I like that the teachers are often young and enthusiastic and are true role models. I also cannot say enough about the social environment at the school. My eldest daughter had stress headaches and stomachaches at her previous large middle school. These symptoms disappeared her first day at MAC. Students are unusually supportive of each other and feel safe enough to be weird (and fearlessly creative). Everyone belongs, and that's a very rare thing for a middle or high school.

3900 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL  33137
Last modified Miami Arts Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Miami Arts Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top