No rating

Killian Oaks Academy

Living in Miami

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $98,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,200.

Posted November 5, 2012

This school is amazing. My child is in the hands of the most professional and loving educators in all Miami. As soon as you walk into the school you know that you are surrounded by a family. Every effort is taken to ensure that each parent and student knows that they are part of a special community. Each teacher works together with the principal to make sure that each child reaches their fullest potential.

Posted October 25, 2012

My son came home from school and thanked me for placing him in Killian Oaks Academy. Your love, understanding, passion for excellence, and expertise have saved my child from falling through the cracks. K.O.A. is the best.

Posted October 15, 2012

After last month s curriculum night, there is no doubt in my mind that we have selected the prefect school for our son. There are many schools in the community that offer a program to meet the needs of children with different learning styles, but none have the professionalism and loving touch that Killian Oaks has. The teachers are trained with the most current research available and the school is up to date with the available technology to enhance student learning. I was impressed with their presentations and how the teacher is able to create an individualized plan for each of their students. The one on one education provided by this school is impressive.

Posted October 2, 2012

Killian Oaks Academy is the best school in helping students identify their abilities. Before my child entered this wonderful school, he was lost. But Killian Oaks discovered my child s gifted potential through their methodical approach. Through their structured and patterned approach, my son experiences daily success. Together with the parents, everyone works together in such a beautiful way and they truly care for one another.

Posted September 28, 2012

As a parent who had a student for an extended period of time at Killian Oaks Academy, I want to address a comment that their was unusual teacher turnover at the school. That conclusion is not supported by the facts. As one who is familar with how the school operates, the administration expects a lot from the teachers and the teachers deliver. Teaching in such a school requires continual effort, skill, planning and devotion which is present in all of the current staff. Those few who have left reflect an unwillingness to meet the school's rigorous standards for teacher perfoprmance.

Posted September 24, 2012

The teacher turnover rate is so high! The administration does not treat their employees well at all. The teachers are excellent, but the leadership lacks in all aspects. It seems like they have no idea what is going on and they are not at all professional. I'd look elsewhere...

Posted August 3, 2012

I will never forget the love and support I received at Killian Oaks, the challenging curriculum that defined me as a student and the lessons that have always stayed with me. The study skills you taught me have helped me to succeed. Througout our conversatins you taught us that our lives would be defined by the choices that we make. Thank you for those conversations when I needed them, I graduacted from college with honors.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 2, 2012

Killian Oaks Academy helped our daughter discover her many abilities and gifts. My husband and I were discouraged by all the labels; dyslexic, dysgraphic, and A.D.H.D. Killian Oaks let us know that the word "ability" can be found in "disablity." They focused on her learning style. She now enjoys reading, writes fabulous stories and loves school. She adores her teachers and principal. She has leaned how to develop and keep friends.K.O.A. nurtures and mentores us through the parenting process. Our daughter is happy and we are looking forward to another rewarding year.

Posted July 20, 2012

"I can't wail until tomorow to be in school again!" This is what my daughter said when I picked her up. It brought tears of joy to my eyes. She's happy, she is being challenged to reach for the stars, and she has discovered success. Thank you Killian Oaks for helping my daughter enjoy the learning process. God bless you!

Posted July 20, 2012

We were wandering aimlessly, hoping to find the answer for our son's academic struggles. We visited countless schools, and although we heard all the "right" things, we did not feel them. It is so hard to trust others with the care of your child. When we walked into Killian Oaks Academy and met with the administration, a sense of peace engulfed us. After eight years, and two students at Killian Oaks, I can only pray that others are lucky enough to discover a school that nurtures and protects the entire family. Thank you is not enough.

Posted May 21, 2012

As another fantastic year at Killian Oaks Academy concludes, I would like to share the outstanding progress that my son continues to make. Three years ago we arrived frustrated from another school. My gifted son was performing below grade level, particularly in reading. Killian Oaks recognized his potential and created an individually customized program that understood and captured his interest and energy. After three years with a great administrative and academic team, he is performing two to three years ABOVE LEVEL in all subjects. For parents of students who are struggling like I was, I encourage you to put your faith and trust in Killian Oaks Academy. Killian Oaks was the answer to my prayers.

Posted May 7, 2012

Thank you Killian Oaks Academy for believing in my children, their abilities, and their magic. Not only have they been transformed academically, they are happy and confident about their skills. Life has changed at home, thanks to you when they come home, they complete their homework independently and we get to enjoy our children. The homework battles are over! We feel blessed because of the support Ms. Ricon, Dr. Ricon and the staff provide whenever we need them! Your openness and willingness to guide us and mentor us as parents have allowed us to feel completely supported. You are a miracle in our community!

Posted May 6, 2012

I am so thankful to have found this school for my child. He has been in the school for 2 years. He started not speaking much. Now he speaks, reads, writes, and is great in math. Every time I met with the staff I am amazed at the level my child is performing. The faculty is professional, well trained in helping students with disabilities, and most importantly, God is very present in this school. The atmosphere is welcoming, loving, and they want students to reach their highest potential.

Posted April 24, 2012

We are so happy with this school! Wish we had found it sooner. The direction and staff are so caring and work closely with the students and parents to make the learning experience a great one. Every school should follow their example.

Posted March 20, 2012

Love, love, love this school! We couldn't be happier with our choice. The mastery program is fantastic. The children are encouraged to expand their horizons by working to their own potential and are genuinely excited to learn. My son was falling through the cracks in PS, his self esteem was so low and he was shutting down. Since he's been at Killian Oaks, he's gotten back his spark. He looks forward to school and is excelling, not only in the classroom, but at home and in his extra curricular activities as well.

Posted January 27, 2012

As a parent of a child with a spectrum disorder, I feel incredibly blessed to have found Killian Oaks Academy. Due to my son's inability to adapt to a traditional classroom setting, he was previously removed from both public and private school programs. At the time, we felt at a loss but once we enrolled at KOA, he flourished immediately and is currently in his third year. KOA not only provides a strong and individualized student program in a small classroom setting, they also focus on the child as a whole. Their life skills program teaches empathy, improves self esteem, and instills attributes that assist for a successful future. At KOA your child will be more than a number or label; they will be accepted and positively regarded as extraordinary individuals.

Posted January 27, 2012

This school has been a blessing for our child and our family. When we were first asked to leave a school this was the first school that was recommended. We truly feel it was destiny. The administrators and staff have a genuine interest in every child's well being. The curriculum customized so every student works at their own pace. They are also taught exceptional character qualities such as respect, responsibility, honesty, integrity, patriotism, empathy, compassion, etc...They constantly hold events where the entire family is welcome. They run a fine institution and deserve special recognition for being INDEPENDENT (no big profit corporation) as well ACCREDITED. That speaks to the quality of the school.

Posted October 22, 2011

At Killian Oaks Academy I discovered my true potential. I was allowed to progress at my own pace while receiving the support that I needed and my self confidence was kept at a high level. I attained high school performance by middle school and am now am thriving at college level. I am very proud to be attending Smith College!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 22, 2011

As a parent who had two children attend this school I can honestly say that the effort, compassion and attention devoted to helping the students learn and develop their academxc skills is remarkable. Because many children have specific learning styles and approaches it takes an expert in this field to understand a child's particular needs which Killian Oaks Academy was able to do. My children prospered as students there and I owe a debt of gratitude to the teachers, staff and Mercedes and Dr. Merchie Ricon.

Posted October 3, 2011

My son was finally identified by the Miami-Dade School district as "other medically disabled" only after suffering a seizure. Prior to that, the county refused to provide the additional help he needed, regardless of the fact that he was born with cerebral palsy, had several physical challenges and was unable to keep pace with the other students in his classes. Once he was placed on an IEP by Miami-Dade schools, we started looking for alternatives to the public school system. We found KOA by researching schools approved by the McCain Scholarship. He spent 3 years at KOA, during which they brought him up to his current grade level. Not only was he on track, but he was working ahead in several subjects. The director of KOA recommended that we place him in a regular high school, to continue his progress, both academically and socially. We reluctantly followed her advice, and it was the best move we could have made. After 4 years at Palmetto High, he graduated with a 3.7GPA, earned both the Florida Medallion Scholarship, the Miami-Dade College American Dream Scholarship, and tested out of all of the common remedial courses for college freshmen. Thank you, Ms. Ricon and staff!

Asian 8% N/A

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10545 SW 97th Ave