No rating

Our Lady Of Lourdes Catholic Elementary School

Private | PK-8

Living in Miami

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,410.

Posted February 20, 2014

A couple of additional comments after reading all the ratings. First, the art and music programs are truly very, very good. Literally the best I've ever seen. The physical plant of the school (buildings and grounds) is superb -- couldn't be better. We have never had a problem with PE, but our child is an athlete. But again, the core academic programs are weak. Weak.

Posted September 5, 2013

My child attended this school since 2nd grade, she has since graduated. This school was excellent for elementary school, but definitely not junior high. The other parent that wrote regarding the PE department was right on. What she spoke is the truth regarding The coach and her daughter. The teachers in junior high barely teach so get ready for tons of homework they don't understand how to do. They explain to them easy problems and if they don't understand it you will get harder questions in their homework that you as a parent have to teach to them.. Thank God for the Internet! If it wasn't for me being an extremely hands on parent and the Internet she would have been lost. I was extremely disappointed and felt my money went to waste as far as education in Math, Science and English class.. The most important subjects. My child is in a catholic high school now and has no problems understanding the math at her new school. I can see the difference now. The teachers at OLOL are terrible at teaching.If I could do it again I would have chosen a different catholic school.

Posted March 7, 2013

m researching the school for the 2013-2014 School Year. I've read comments about the PE program. Bad comments that date back to 2007. I'm wondering what is so bad about the program or the PE Administrator? I would really like more information is this person still in charge of that program? If you read this and you know this information or more please write a review for those of us interested in the school. Thank You

Posted May 14, 2012

Not only does the PE Dept. have way too much power but they run it like it's a Ma and Pop shop, where the Athletic Director puts the interest of her own daughter ahead of the interest of every one elses daughters. She even gave her 7th grade daughter an MVP award when the 8th grader who also got the same reward was at least a factor of 2 better then the coaches daughter in every sport they played. It's so unfair.

Posted March 19, 2012

The class sizes in middle school average about 30 students. That is more than most public schools in the area. The Florida state mandate is no more than 22 for grades 4-8, although private schools are not ruled by these mandates, one would assume that a private institution would promote and provide a smaller student/teacher ratio. But I guess that's how they keep the tuition down, however, beware, it comes at a very great cost. Less time, less learning.

Posted February 25, 2012

Amazing school! From PE to Art to Math to Science to Spanish, they are all good programs. The teachers are great and caring. As usual, those that complain, complain because their child couldn't make it in this school (academically or socially) or they, as parents, didn't get it their way when they complained; the usual winers. Go visit the school and judge for yourself!

Posted April 16, 2011

i think that this school needs to work on the spanish program. The math program is great; if qualified, 7th graders can take pre algebra and 8th graders can take algebra 1. In 7th grade life science, you can also do dissections. However, we do not learn that much in science.... As a student here, I think that the PE program is good, pushing us to do our best. But sometimes, I feel as if their is way too much emphasis on sports. Also, the administration took away many events since I have been here at the school. For example, they took away spirit week. There are many clubs to get involved in. However, it costs $75 to join any club. In conclusion, I think that this school is great for some things, and not so great for others.

Posted March 15, 2011

The school is okay, so i will give it a B. The Spanish program needs work, as I feel we dont learn anything. The P.E. department has way too much power, and I feel the grading is unfair.

Posted January 25, 2011

It is worth all the money. Education is a Plus, safety, is a small school and everyone is like a big family. My son is attending Pk4 and he loves his school. Homework, activities everything is based on his age. I love it

Posted August 31, 2010

There is too much emphasis on PE, where they are graded not by the determination to do better, but whether or not you can run a +mile in 10 minutes. The PE coach picks on the students who can not do what she asks. She only likes the athletes. The PE department basically runs the school. If you can't please her enough for her to give you an A, you can't make Principal's Honor Roll, making all of your hard studying and academic effort seem useless. Going on to academics, the school gives TOO much hw. The teachers give higher grades to their favorites. There are bullies in the school, and administration doesn't care. There are social groups between kids, and too much bicker. I am happy my child left the school and I recommend you don't consider this school for your child, especially middle school. This school isn't worth it.

Posted January 13, 2009

Truly superior to all the schools in the area, public or private. Take this fom a professional with nearly 30 years in education (and BTW, I do not work for the school).

Posted February 5, 2008

I have been a parent since the school opened 11 years ago. I have known Mrs. Del Campo for all these years. She is one of the hardest workers that exist in Our Lady of Lourdes School. Not only she put the students first, and in return the students adore her.

Posted February 4, 2008

I think it a good school. But not worth all the money. Definetly not middle school. I love the fact that it is a small school and I think that security and safety are definetly a plus. I do believe that the children get too much work. I feel that they are learning what they need to learn for the moment but it is forgotten right away because too much is taught to quickly. It is one thing to learn something to pass a test but I prefere my child to learn something for what it is. The kids get too much homework and too many tests. My children are there simply because of the religion and the morals that I taught there.

Posted October 6, 2007

The academic program could be better.The school claims to have an advanced program, yet the students seem to simply spit out rote knowledge for the most part. Parental involvement is good but could be better. The general school rules appear to be strict, but they are not enforced equally. Extra curricular activities are present but only with regards to sports.

Posted October 3, 2007

I love the school, the teachers, the parish and the church as well as the security. I am unhappy with the advancement academically, I know it sounds ironic but the fact that they go a year ahead doesn't mean that the kids will become austronauts, doctors or geniuses! There is way too much homework and tests, it is taking childhood away from the kids as they don't have time to play and be kids but just study. I think they should offer different types of programs, for example one for kids that go advanced and at least another for kids that go at a normal of slower speed.

Posted May 23, 2007

What a great school. I will give this school an A+. The teachers, office staff and the principal are all wonderful, caring and loving people. I have been a parent at this school the first day they opened their doors. The parents are very supportive and are very involved. This school also has a great sports program and great leaders. I will highly recommend Our Lady of Lourdes Parish School. The quality of the academic program is very high. I have always felt that my child is in a safe and caring environment. My child always looked forward to go to school. I have no regrets but praise.

Posted May 16, 2007

excellent school. Great teacher and an incredible office personel. They are the best in sport! too. I love the church and how they reinforce the catholic faith.

Posted April 22, 2007

After researching and comparing various parochial Catholic schools there was no doubt the Our Lady of Lourdes was way above all the other schools. The academic curriculum is extremely demanding yet they prepare and teach your kids the skills necessary to deal with them. My daughter was reading by Prek. Music, Art, religion, Spanish & PE are all offered at age appropriate levels. Hasa needs improvement in my opinion but there is alot of parental involvement for school functions despite the strong security measures needed to be a volunteer. School is very proactive in regards to safety & security as well.

Posted February 18, 2007

Our Lady of Lourdes Parish School is the Archdiocese of Miami's best kept secret! Teachers love going to work everyday and the administration is simply amazing. Parents are very real and thoughful of others. The kids are wonderful. The priests are amazing! The sports program is #1 in the Diocese with competition to only other schools like Belen who are also ranked as #1. I would recommend this school over any other in this Diocese!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 14, 2006

Excellent school, strong community, united parents, beautiful church. Best of Miami.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • FLOCS/ACTS
Fax number
  • (305) 386-6694

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Miami

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

14000 Southwest 112th Street