No rating

Montverde Academy

Private | PK-12 | 772 students

Living in Montverde

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $192,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted November 4, 2013

Montverde Academy is the premiere school in central Florida. The parent (same one by the way) who complained about fees is ludicrous. If you did your homework, you would discover that MVA's tuition and fees is among the lowest among independent schools on the east coast and the schedule of charges is pretty clear before you enroll. What does it teach our kids when parents get on a site, hiding behind a keyboard, and spew ridiculousness. I know who the PK3 parent is too and I can say is be honest with the school before you enroll with regard to your child's needs. Also on fees, I think I know who this one is too....when your child has additional academic needs unable to be met through traditional means such as OT and PT and educational assessments, every school would be in the same situation of recommending services which may require funding and that is putting the educational needs of the child first! With 27 AP courses and a passing rate of 80% on the AP exams, SAT/ACT scores that exceed the state and national scores and 100% college acceptance rate to some of the most competitive colleges and schools in the USA, I would say the curriculum speaks for itself.

Posted October 24, 2013

My review is a bit mixed... First of all this is a very well run school. My child attends currantly, and is safe. There are very nice parents and children. Mrs Shackelford, Dean of the lower school is just wonderful. Within 2 weeks every teacher knew the name of every child. It truly feels like family. However... I am not able to elaborate on this site, but let's just say we are not overall happy with our PreK3 teacher.

Posted October 3, 2013

Truly the best choice in Lake County all the way around. If Lake County had a high school with an IB program it would be a tie...but they don't. Montverde offers the most AP classes, the highest passage rate, and the best curriculum of the middle and high schools in the area. Not everyone will be happy there because its strict--they don't keep around kids who either can't handle the academics or violate the code of conduct. Guess what--OK with me! That's why I send my kids to private school. Are there fees? Yes, all private schools require you to pay fees for books, technology, the PTA, graduation, etc. It's all outlined in your contract. But they don't charge a lot of fees throughout the year and the fees are a fraction of what the largest Orlando private schools charge. At Montverde lunch is included in tuition! Not many private schools cover lunch. Do your homework before you complain!

Posted September 12, 2013

I strongly advise you not to send your child to this school. The priority is on earning as much money as possible, not on your child's education, health or happiness. The only imagination this school demonstrates is in their ability to find new ways to charge the parents fees. I am apalled at the way they put the finances of the school ahead of the welfare of the students. Stay away, I urge you!!!!

Posted September 10, 2013

The administration was very unhelpful and non-responsive. This was extremely difficult as I am living outside of the United States and I would have appreciated a call back from multiple messages left by phone and email on multiple occasions. It seemed like the only time I spoke to an administrator was when they were looking for more money. I have to say that I was not very impressed with the curriculum either.

Posted August 22, 2013

Our kids are entering their seventh year at Montverde. This is an incredible school environment for children. In addition to the high level education they provide, they place a strong emphasis on character and community. Everyone on campus knows my children. The accountability factor plays a huge role in my son's and daughter's confidence and independence. Other than our home, we can't imagine a better place for our children to learn and grow. The staff and teachers are second to none.

Posted May 5, 2013

As a parent of one of those "athletes"....Montverde Academt has done wonders for my child academically, socially and athletically; I couldnt be happier with the experience he has received and the caring and nurturing teachers and coaches he has had the privilege of learning from is outstanding. I am sacrificing a great deal to pay tuition, but it has been worth every bit of it...thank you Montverde for all you have done for our family!

Posted May 4, 2013

We love our school community and this parent obviously has an axe to grind. Our teachers are all compensated at or above LCPS and many have housing and meals on top of that plus retirement, medical and tuition remission for our children to attend the school; I feel treated very fairly. I think we have nearly 27 AP courses with an 80% passing rate, 30% higher than LCPS and higher than the national and state average. Our SAT scores exceed the state and national average too. We have a girl going to Princeton in the fall and a boy going to Carnegie Mellon and UC Berkeley, none of those are "athletes." Lots of kids going to some great tier one schools. If it weren't for Dr. Kesselring we would still be a school of 100 kids known as the school where you send your kids if they are bad...so if we are known for athletics, I will take that any day over a place for bad kids...plus many of our student-athletes are great kids doing really amazing things in and outside of the classroom. Oh, and our math team and academic team won the Lake & Sumter County tournaments and the academic qualified for nationals and our programming team placed in the top 10 in the state! We love our school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 23, 2013

Kasey Kesselring has turned the school into a sports machine. It is all about recruiting kids for sports and offering them "financial aid" so the school can be #1 in basketball and soccer. No student has got into an ivy league school from academics. Hopefully the school will get new leadership and change course. Unfortunately finding top coaches and paying them huge salaries is more important right now then finding the top teachers in the country.

Posted April 10, 2013

If you want to be ready for college, go to it. If you want to spent all the day doing homework go there.

Posted April 9, 2013

everyone should know that its the #1 school on every category ! they have everything that you would want for a great school.

Posted June 26, 2012

My son is thriving in this school. The teachers have gone out of their way to spend extra time after school tutoring him and helping him in the areas that he needed it. It is a wonderful school community that is like family to us and we are so glad to be a part of it! The best school around!

Posted April 9, 2012

Cannot ask for better mentors for my child in his formative years. I am an extremely pedantic mom, thousands of miles away from the USA. Am so grateful to see how my child has grown in the last couple of years - his mind-set has done a 360deg - and so has his grades. so much credit goes to MVA and its faculty.

Posted January 27, 2012

I have (had) two children there. One just graduated and the other is in grade 11 (my son). He has a 4.0 GPA. He is not a US resident nor citizen but is there to attend a Golf Academy and attends Montverde Academy under a modified schedule. I recently changed my son to a different Golf Academy and was then told by MVA that because he changed golf academy then he can no longer be under a modified schedule. I signed an agreement with MVA for the past 2 years for education under a modified schedule. No where does it state that his schedule must change if he is no longer a member of the golf academy. This is a separate entity. MVA has now added two additional courses and is in further breach of their course change agreement as per their handbook. We are 4 weeks into the semester. How could they do that? The administrators are cold hearted and do not seek the best interest of their students. DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS THERE IF YOU LOVE THEM.

Posted November 18, 2011

It's like the twilight zone. Sit down and talk to the administrators for a few minutes and you'll see what I'm talking about.l

Posted May 17, 2010

My daughter attends this school and I believe they talk a good talk but do nothing but that! The Math teacher in middle school is covered in Tattoos & talks on her cell in class all while walking bare footed. The high school students hug and kiss on the grounds. Skirts are too short! Academic are okay not as strong as they should be for waht u pay!

Posted October 29, 2008

I am a student currently attending Montverde. I could not ask for a better school to spend four years at. The dorm life is great, the teachers are motivative and want us to want to learn. The curriculum is challenging and has many options for classes. In regards for college preparation, graduating here will be the best thing I could have done for my future.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 12, 2008

If you are looking for a school for your children, this is not the right school. I went to the school for an year, well the teachers dont care about the students and their personality. Especially in the Dorm, I do not have to explain, it is not good. Not A Good School not good
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 29, 2008

If you are looking for a school with a challenging curriculum, this is NOT it. Very limited in choices offered to upper level level students.

Posted April 14, 2008

Not a good transition from the lower school to the upper school. Lots of who who s attitude. Lower school principal great. Upper school is completely different. Amazing to preach to these teens about charter when certain teachers are practices nothing even close. Role models are very important and when you re paying you expect nothing but the best.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 30% 3%

• College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mr. Kasey C. Kesselring
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Uniforms
  • Chaperone school trips
More from this school
  • •Founded in 1912, Montverde Academy is a college preparatory, coeducational independent school serving grades PK3-12. The boarding program serves grades 7-12 and Post Graduate. Montverde Academy offers a challenging academic environment to students who have a strong desire to learn. Five generations of Montverde Academy graduates have been guided by three fundamental principles: Knowledge, Character and Community. These principles are illustrated in the classroom through Advanced Placement and Honors courses. Performance on Advanced Placement exams achieved better than 77% passing rate with 45% scoring 4 or higher. Achievement of college placement is evidenced by a 100% college acceptance rate. Accentuating the foundation of Montverde Academy’s community is its exemplary educators who are committed to academic excellence. Montverde Academy has 56 full-time faculty members with 55% holding advanced degrees. Montverde Academy also places an emphasis on developing students physically through positive interscholastic competition. The Athletic Program is sanctioned through the Florida High School Athletic Association. A variety of individual and team sports at both Varsity and Junior Varsity levels facilitate student development. Numerous athletics and fine arts programs have achieved local, state, and national recognition. In the past eight years, 42 student athletes have earned scholarships to NCAA qualifying colleges and universities. Required involvement with fine arts, athletics, clubs and service organizations allow students to become positive contributors to the school and community. The educational experience provided by Montverde Academy creates opportunities for lifelong learning and global leadership.

Apply now

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes