No rating

Christian Home And Bible School

Private | PK-12 | 550 students

We are best known for Academic Christian Atmosphere.

Living in Mount Dora

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $146,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted September 16, 2011

If you're looking for a school that: 1. Supports achievement, 2. Has strong partnerships among parents, teachers and students, 3. Challenges it's students, 4. And has high quality and committed teachers, I would highly recommend Christian Home & Bible School. My involvment with the school as a parent spans the past 15 years and overall I have been very happy; not only with the Christian education my children have received, but with the character building traits & skills they heard everyday in Bible and chapel. My kids always wanted to go to school and were very involved in extracurricular activities.

Posted September 1, 2011

This school was not at all what I had expected for my child. Being a christian school, I hoped for a good quality of life for my kid. Instead, there was a lot of bullying... which made me question, if these kids were really christian at all. I was surprised by how little consideration the basketball coaches had for their players. It was really disheartening. Academics left a lot to be desired. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 19, 2011

I agree with the last reviewer. Very very true, if your not a member of the church, you are treated totally different, the teachers and administration dont give you the time of day. The teachers I believe are just very average or below, that dont communicate with you, even if you email them, they will not respond. You have to go to the top, even then no results. There is thief going on too..my son got his ipod stolen last year, no one came clean. So, its about the same as public school.But, the price of 8000.00 year tuition.

Posted July 13, 2011

As a non Church of Christ member, It seems to be a great school when visiting and the Administration is really great at making you think that this school will be the best choice for your child. However, the truth is that the education and extra curricular activities are not any better than public school and classroom behavior. In fact, their are poor teachers and because of there relationship to school, they get looked over.The teachers are all members of the church and most of their children go to the school and are accommodated first before any other denomination that attends this school. Be sure to just really compare First.

Posted December 1, 2010

Our family has been blessed to have attended Christian Home & Bible School for the past eight years. Two of our daughters graduated from the school, and my son attend through his Sophomore year when we had to relocate to Texas. I was extremely impressed with how well the teachers really knew my children and took an interest in their lives. I loved the way they supported and encouraged them in all of their extra curricular activities. My daughters were well prepared academically for college. My son who transferred to a strong academic private school in Texas last August received a 4.0 last grading period. We also loved the fine arts programs. The drama performances were outstanding, a great place for my son to shine in his creative talents. The daily time of praise (chapel) was a blessing to my children. CH&BS is a great school!

Posted May 30, 2010

Our daughter has attended CHBS for the past three years. We have been very pleased with this school. When our daughter began in the PK-3 classroom, she was quiet and shy. Through opportunities provided at CHBS, she has blossomed into an outgoing little girl. She now sings, has been in a talent show, and plans to try out for drama. Academically, we are very happy with the growth we have seen in our daughters reading and math. She is reading above grade level and applies all the math skills learned into everyday life. The teachers at this school not only challenge your children, but love them. CHBS provides the social, spiritual, and academic foundation that we are looking for in a school.

Posted May 29, 2010

Our first child has been a student at CHBS for two years, plus a year at their preschool. We are planning to send our second child to preschool there as well. We have been very happy with the school. Great teachers for the most part, and the school leadership appears to be excellent. Our child has been challenged and is doing quite well, particularly in math. Having read all of the other ratings on this site, it seems that a consistent theme is the lack of discipline and the presence of bullying. Many of these ratings and comments were posted 3 or 4 years ago, so I'm not sure how valid they are any more. We have not yet experienced anything like that (but that could also be that we haven't been in the middle school either.) Overall, we have been very happy with the school and highly recommend it.

Posted May 29, 2010

My husband went to CH&BS from Kindergarten-12th grade. He loved every moment of education their. I guess you could say we are bringing a second generations of students to this school. We have 3 boys and they have attend CH&BS these past 7 years. They have all started out in their Pre-K program. We LOVE this school. Academically we are satisfied. We have found that any issues that we may have with the school they are willing to take time out to meet, listen and answer any questions. This school has such a family atmosphere. The staff and teachers truly love and care for each child and want my child to succeed. Our family is truly blessed to be apart of this school. We pray that one day in the far off future our grandkids can come to this school.

Posted May 24, 2010

I am a former public school teacher and my two daughters have attended CH&BS since PK3. The past six years there have been wonderful. They have both thrived academically and spiritually. My oldest daughter is gifted and has been reading well above her grade level sincePre K. Although CH&BS does not have a specific gifted program they have always gone above and beyond to meet her needs each year. My youngest is in Learning Adventures which is a program that combines K and 1 allowing students to be placed by ability rather than grade. Leaps made by these students are unbelievable, she is now reading 3 grade levels above her own. CH&BS has provided many valuable experiences including theatre, sports, public speaking, art shows, etc. CH&BS has become not only our school but part of our family,supporting us through my husband's battle with cancer. It is the place to be.

Posted April 29, 2010

My daughter went to this school for many, many years. Most days, she came home, crying. Our entire family has been a part of CH&BS history, yet somehow, this school has lost its touch over the years. Constant bullying is a major problem. Sure, there have been steps to fix it, and it exists in every school, but at CH&BS it is in its extreme. A teenage girl should not have to think that she needs to be pretty and popular to have a great life. I just wish that all parents could get a close-up look at this school's personality, without all its 'smoke and mirrors' and all the fronts it puts up in the local community. The school's values are wonderful, if only it would uphold them.

Posted February 15, 2010

My family has been part of CH&BS for 4 years now and we have enjoyed every expierence! My child is loving to learn, thanks to the dedicated teachers she has had so far! She has been on all A honor roll and increased her scored in all tests MAP, AR & etc.! I have a neice that is 1 grade higher in public school than my child and I have compared to make sure she would be on track (in public school) and she would be far beyond her grade level. The school has also had classes on bullying, which I attended too and they were AWESOME! It really meant a lot to the kids and I am sure they got the point. So all in all, CH&BS is exactly what we want for our child and you should check it out too!

Posted February 13, 2010

CHBS is a great school. My 3 children attend (2 elementary, 1 preschool) and I feel they are getting a great education. Both children in elementary have had MAP testing scores increase at each evaluation and both also reading well above AR level. Many extracurricular activities offered, even at a elementary level. Principals and teachers very open to parent's concerns and truly care about the education, character development and well being of my children .

Posted March 1, 2009

I am a Senior at CHBS and have loved all 13 years that I have been here. The campus is amazing, and the teachers and students are even more amazing. I have numerous teachers who not only care about making me a better student, but also making me a better person. I play football, basketball and baseball at CH&BS. All of the sports programs here are dedicated to a winning tradition. Out of all of the fields, gyms, and stadiums I have been to, I can say with 100% certainty that no other school in the area has as great of fan support as we do! The overall comradory of the students at CH&BS is something I will never forget. It is an amazing place and I recommend it to anyone who's child is in search of a good education, close friendships, and great memories to last a lifetime.

Posted December 6, 2008

I am currenty attending CHBS and I love it, It's so easy to make friends and all the students accept everyone great. I really learn a lot in my classes and I like that every grade in secondary school has all four core classes available in honors. I also hope to be in the AP classes later in high school. I like that when there is a class they don't provide that you want to take that the counselor is always there to help you sign up for it online. Another thing is that my teachers are always there after school for if I need help understanding something. The new smartboards that they have are also cool too. They make my learning in math a lot more interactive. There are also like 33 sports to choose from all year long. So, there's never a dull moment.

Posted July 30, 2008

My children attended CH&BS for years. While we thought they were getting a good, balanced education , once they entered public high school, we found out how much they lacked. They were both always honor roll, scored well on the SAT's, in BETA, so we were shocked to realize they were actually behind their peers. The Christian environment is nice, but unless you are a member of the Church of Christ family, your children will not receive the same opportunities as the children whose parents belong to the Church of Christ. Plus, the COC doctrine is taught in Bible classes and the girls are not given the same academic opportunities as the boys. The boys are held in higher regard. The teachers are not exceptional, most are very average. That is because they only hire Church of Christ teachers and have a small pool to pull from.

Posted July 13, 2008

Christian Home and Bible School is wonderful! My child has been attending the school since Pre-K and will be going into 9th grade this Fall.The administration, teachers, librarians, and coaches are always there to encourage students and they offer support and guidance every step of the way! CH&BS provides a safe, strong academic, and Christian atmosphere. I feel blessed to have such a fabulous institution for my child to attend. We have been very happy with every aspect of this school!

Posted July 3, 2008

I was a student there for all of middle school and it was horrible! The teachers don't discipline and the basketball players can get away with anything! The students are very rude and there is a ton of bullying. I didn't enjoy middle school at all.

Posted March 27, 2008

I went there for all of middle school. It was horrible. For a Christian shool it was the worst. I know go to a public school cause i could not stand it there anymore and i have to say the children are nicer at the public school then they were there. At the public school they were disciplined for doing some thing wrong, were at CHBS there weren't. If you had been going there for awhile then you never got in trouble. The teachers and adminstrave would just over look it. As for students learning, please that has to be a joke! I had 7 classes a day and i would say that i only learned in about 2 of them, and i was never chanllenged. I never had to work for my grades. Now at the high school i am challenged i do a lot better.

Posted March 23, 2008

When I first came to this school in elementary, I thought it was great. It was exactly what an elementary school should be. We were generally free to widen our decision-making skills and we were brought up in a very conservative manner. Then, everything changed in middle and high school. Even though the school claims to have a zero-tolerance outlook on bullying, there is plenty of it, mostly verbal. The students are just horrible. Despite the school's great morals, the students act anything but Christian. There are probably only about 30% of good people in the school. The lack of discipline is appalling. Should one person receive a one-hour detention for chewing gum when the person right next to her is verbally harrassing the guy in front of him and gets nothing? Plus, the academics are not good. Everything is smothered and spoonfed to us-not challenging at all.

Posted November 9, 2007

I have 3 kids at CHBS and this is their second and last year at the school. The campus is beautiful, most of the staff is courteous and helpful and the lower school has been a great expeirence for the most part. However, at the middle school level even bigger problems persist. It seems as though bullying is tolerated at a very high level at this school eventhough we were informed early on that there was a zero tolererance for this type of behavior. Sadly, we will be moving our children because of this.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Public Schools
Other Private Schools
Homeschool
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 90% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 3% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Harding University
University of South Florida
University of Central Florida
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Brad Moser
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Honors track
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor