Posted May 07, 2014
My kids have loved their teachers, which is natural because they go above and beyond for their students.

Posted August 27, 2013
Great school with great leadership and fantastice teachers! It really is a family where everybody knows your name!!!!!!

Posted August 27, 2013
My son just completed Kindergarten in Mrs. Uhlman's class and she was a joy to work with. She was loving and patient with her kids and the kids were given a great enviornment to learn. My son excelled academically and with his behavior, learning responsability and how to work with others. He loves his school and loved his teacher and therefore loves to LEARN!

Posted June 06, 2013
Our son just completed Kindergarten and we are absolutely pleased with the school. The school has a high academic reputation as an "A" school for 7 straight years. Our positive experience is largely due in part to our son's FANTASTIC teacher-- Ms. Dobbs. It's easy to see that Ms.Dobbs genuinely cares for her children with a nurturing, enthusiastic and fun approach to teaching. Our son told me many times he was going to miss his teacher.OACS requires volunteer hours (20 hrs per child; 30 hrs if multiple). I love this, as it encourages involvement. There are many opportunities to achieve these hours from PTO meetings, class activities, field trips, or baking a dish for the monthly teacher meetings. The school could benefit from a gym, more outdoor play equipment, and improved technology or computer room. The children have an enrichment class each day- P.E. (twice/wk), Spanish, character development, and art. Ideally, I would like to see Music or these enrichment course incorporated in the daily curriculum. Overall, I think the school is great! The improvements needed are mainly financial, which is at no fault of the school, and hopefully fundraisers will help over time.

Posted August 15, 2012
OACS is a great school. My child has attended this school for the past 5 years. We have seen the school grow in all positive ways. We have watched our child evolve from knowing only shapes and colors to reading chapter books and adding fractions. Parent-teacher conferences are mandatory, as they should be. Each family is required to volunteer for 20 hours per school year; it is 30 hours per school year if more than one child attends OACS. There are lots of opportunities to meet this requirement. I am always AMAZED how sooo many families wait until April to start thinking about putting in some time. I highly recommend this school. Many of the teachers know every student by name. Bullying is not tolerated. Uniforms make it easier. Inappropriate student conduct is remedied immediately. The only hassle is car line. While safety is, of course, the #1 priority, drop off and pick up should be extended to more stations along the length of the sidewalk by the playground. Logistically, this would make the line more quicker and alleviate the angst for the residents who live nearby.

Oakland Avenue Charter School 3

Posted June 07, 2011
My children have attended OACS since its opening day and tomorrow is our last day at the school. These years have been great and not so great. My older daughter flew through the school with no problems. My youngest is an ESE student and we found out too late that OACS was not the school for her. The ESE program is lacking but, because the school is small the teachers and staff all work closely with one another and the parents. If the city of Oakland would work with the teachers and staff and stop the power struggle the school would be better. Just because you can successfully run a town does not mean you can run a school. On opening day the town assured parents that OACS would not be a typical school teaching only what is on the FCAT. Every student would have a well rounded education. Well, it has has become what it promised it would not be a school that teaches strictly FCAT.

Posted June 06, 2011
My son has been attending this school for the past three years and he's been blessed to have three very caring, engaging, and inspiring teachers. While there is not a strong ESE program in place at OACS... my son benefits directly from his teachers despite some of the challenges he has with learning. We look forward to three more happy and successful years at OACS.

Posted March 07, 2011
This is a WONDERFUL SCHOOL!! It reminds me of the kind of school I attended as a child. All of the teachers, principals, etc., know the kids by name and they encourage parent participation. The hours they call volunteering are nothing I wouldn't be doing regardless of whether I got volunteer hours for attending (ex: parent/teacher conferences, helping with a class party or field trip). This is my children's second year at OACS and I couldn't ask for a better environment to have them in. I have comfort in knowing my kids go to a loving environment where the teachers aren't afraid to hug the kids, where they learn about all cultures and they have fun! My son struggles with math and his second grade teacher has worked with him individually for many hours and has never been judgemental and is always encouraging him. There is an exceptional balance of academics and consideration of kids needing to be kids at OACS and that is something that is hard to find these days!! I can't say enough good things about this school!

Posted August 03, 2010
I am currently a teacher at OACS and have been for the past five years. In response to the parent that complained about parents having to do most of the work in order to hold us up, this is just absurd and very far from factual. I myself work 5o hour work weeks and also spend some of my weekends preparing material for my class. I am not the only teacher that does this. This is the norm not the exception. We are a dedicated, exceptional group of teachers that are overworked and underpaid due to budget cuts. However, we still teach because we love what we do. The parent involvement is simply to assist already overworked teachers and allows parents to be inolved with their children's education.

Oakland Avenue Charter School 1

Posted June 03, 2010
The school is very clean. The PTO is wonderful. You go in knowing you will have to do at least 20 hours of service to the school. However, the staff is not supportive and very unorganized. Don't try to see your child's records or rely on anyone to answer a question. If they owe you something , FORGET ABOUT IT. Don't let them think you trust them, they WILL take advantage of you. They will make you think they actually care but remember it is just a business to them. All about their bottom line and protecting their people. OCPS has no say in the matter. Just the town of Oakland, FL. So I hope you have no problems here and are able to get through the year. Maybe you wont get a BULLY of a teacher that will intimidate your child to the point of no return.

Oakland Avenue Charter School
456 East Oakland Avenue, Oakland, FL  34760
(407) 877-2039
Last modified Oakland Avenue Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland Avenue Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top