Evans Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 910 students

Posted May 28, 2014

My Kindergarten student had a wonderful experience at the school. The teacher was very creative and made my little one's learning experience fun. She looked forward to every day and was sad when the year ended. As for the staff, they learned who I was very early on and made me feel at home. My only criticism would be the after school programs, which I felt were a little lacking.

Posted May 22, 2014

Evans is a decent school, with good teacher/student ratios. It was a GREAT school under previous leadership. However, the new principals are floundering, creating policies that don't allow you to lunch with your child (1x week only), and they do not do a good job of keeping parents informed and engaged. The Gifted program is a joke - it is only 1x week, on the "short" day. So, my child is bored the rest of the week, and likely to disrupt the others due to boredom. The front office staff has been rude to me, and to other students or parents who have come in while I've been there. We used to be excited to be at Evans and are now looking at other options.

Posted May 16, 2014

Awful place. Teachers sulk and complain. Students bully each other relentlessly with no consequences. Parents bully the teachers and administration. There is a complete lack of boundaries between teachers and parents and they can often be overheard gossiping together which makes for an incredibly uncomfortable environment. The inmates are running the prison.

Posted March 28, 2014

My children have had a great experience at Evans. We have had children at the school for 7 years and have been very pleased by the teachers and programs.

Posted March 14, 2014

First and foremost. This school discourages parents from wanting to be involved from its total unfriendliness. It is run like a prison. Drop your kids at the door, and do not even think about coming within 25 feet of the front door. Do not try to give the administration or PTA suggestions, as they are unwelcomed. I have even been yelled at by a "paraprofessional." Other parents have been yelled at by other staff members. Teachers are hit or miss. They assign you one day a week you can eat lunch with your child, and only that day of the week.

Posted February 20, 2014

You know I believe that this is a good school. The staff is very friendly and courteous. They seem to really care about the well being of the children. After reading one of the postings left I was just blown away and not in a good way how unbelievably stereotypical people are. You know what its not the new complex that was built just bexause they accept hud. That doesn't five anyone the right to blame the people who lice there. So with all due respect shut up! It is not a bad school and don't blame others for yopur misfortune!

Posted January 27, 2014

First let me state that Evans is not a bad school; however, I think generic describes it best. On paper, Evans is a fantastic school. In reality, Evans is middle-of-the-road. As with many schools, there is a small clique of parents that believe they actually run the school and relish the sense of power they derive from this belief. This translates into a sometimes unfriendly environment that can make volunteering difficult. Although the front office staff is generally friendly, the parents that work there and in the cafeteria can be gruff. The new administration has amplified this feeling of unfriendliness with policies that impede the ability of parents to feel part of their children's learning environment and unwelcome at the school. Events are poorly advertised and often notification is at the last minute. Teachers at Evans are hit-or-miss; we've had good and bad teachers. Unfortunately, I believe district pride concerning FCAT scores appears to trump actual learning and creativity in the classroom. If you want your child to receive good FCAT scores, don't care about a school's "soul", and aren't concerned about your child's originality and creativity, Evans is the right place.

Posted January 3, 2014

This is my second review the first one was removed by this website on or around 30 Dec 2013. Like I said the first time my kids have gone to Evans for the past few years and it was not to bad. Sadly someone built a huge "HUD" "Section 8" town-home complex about 100 Yards from the school last year. Since then the quality of the school has really gone down hill and am looking into other options. Sadly we live in a world where parents need be aware of what is being built in their zoning districts. These building projects have a HUGE impact on the quality of your public school. I never would've believed it until it happened to our family at Evans!

Posted October 29, 2013

We have had great experiences with the school, and my daughter absolutely loves it here. I'm pleasantly surprised that all of the teachers in the hallways seem to know her name, and the office staff somehow knows me and my husband despite our infrequent visits. Everyone here has been super friendly and the education my daughter is receiving is top notch!

Posted August 29, 2013

My child has been at Evans for the last 2 years. I loved Evans up until this year. The atmosphere of the school has changed. It is an uptight feeling now. Mr. Navarro and Mrs. Hermon were great administration and the new one can not compare. I feel as if my child is being held back in her class. She is far more advanced than given credit for but she is quiet so it isn't seen. I have learned of many different programs for accelerated children that the schools do not want to tell the parents about. So far this year I have been nothing but disappointed. I am glad that I work with my child at home, otherwise she would be very bored.

Posted August 7, 2013

Very very happy with Evans. This is our 6 year there between two kids. The teachers have always been great and the front office very accommodating. I am very pleased that this is the school our neighborhood goes to.

Posted June 7, 2013

I am really shocked by some of the other comments. We were an Evans family for the past 11 years. I have never had anyone be rude to me or my husband in the front office. And the one time (out of 11 years) I had a problem with a teacher, it was handled with urgency and care. I highly recommend this school. I had two different "types" of children in this school. One son struggled with learning issues and the other was gifted. So, no "normal" children. I felt that they were BOTH given an excellent education, and neither were overlooked by teachers and/or administrators. They were BOTH given the attention and education that they needed. (Gifted IS hard to teach to, because no matter how much you throw at them, they want more. My son's teachers were always ready and willing to give him extra work to keep him interested and challenged.) And lastly, the comments about the FCAT. Show me a school in the area that isn't concerned about scoring well! This is something that the state has made an issue for the schools, not something that the schools WANT to do. Until they get rid of that stupid test, you are going to see the teachers over-preparing the kids for it.

Posted April 24, 2013

We have two children attending Evans. One is a special needs child & the staff has been wonderful! Our child is acclimated well & is fitting right in with the mainstream class! The staff is wonderful, friendly, helpful & professional. My kids have never complained once about going to school. They look forward to it! Although the homework is a little much for the younger ones. But I hear that's pretty common in most schools today unfortunately. Overall great school. A+++

Posted May 6, 2011

I have several children at this school. I found the comments to be accuarate. If your child fits the standard model then you are good. Thankfully we do. I have a child in the gifted program that begs me to remove them. They say it's boring and all they do is research and play games. Is that what gifted is about? The new administration staff is wonderful. Although the old staff was strict I did not find it to be a turnoff. The front staff (not all) can give you a less then welcoming feeling. It is unforturnate but hopefully it doesn't carry over to the children who come in. The teachers are wonderful. I do not feel there was a huge turn over in the previious years that we've been there. I think it is good that our children experince all types of personalities and for the most part our teachers have been wonderful educators to our kids. The PTA is very active but they tend to stick to using only parents they "approve" of.

Posted January 24, 2011

There is new principal and vice principal leadership here who are outstanding. They even stand out on the sidewalks on the hottest and coldest days of the year directing traffic.

Posted October 3, 2009

Great teachers, great (new) administration, great parent support, great students!!! Where the best get even better...

Posted September 29, 2009

I love my kids school because the teacher's really seem to care about the kids and their parents! They are one of the top AR schools and did awesome with FCat's last year too! Go Evans -you rock! :)

Posted September 15, 2009

We've had 3 kids at Evans over the past 5 years- overall our experience has been disappointing. We moved our oldest child out of Evans because of their teacher. She was completely uninterested in guiding her classes or helping them build confidence and seemed to be supported by the previous principle. She only ever seemed interested in FCAT scores and made it clear that this was 'just a job' -she did not want to be bothered after hours with questions or concerns. Our other two children remained at Evans but have both experienced varying levels of problems. Though with them, their teachers were much kinder and accessible. The new leadership, coming into the 2009 school year, seems to be trying to create a friendlier environment, which is appreciated, though some staff should have also been replaced with the leadership, such as many of the 'assistant' staff and the guidance staff.

Posted August 30, 2009

I can not say enough about the quality education this school provides. My son's teachers have been unbelievable! The teachers do an outstanding job, even under the ruling of an overbearing, very unlikable Mrs. Winger. I look forward to this year. The teachers at this school deserve a break from her tyranny!

Posted July 9, 2009

My son is going into 3rd grade and has attended Evans since kindergarten. He has has had wonderful teachers who have been very patient with him. He went through testing for ESE and found he was not the process was done quickly. He is ADHD and his teacher were wonderful during the process of working with him. He is an average student and they are always positive. The only negative I see and I agree with the some other posts about the office staff. You tend to get ignored for a significant amount of time at time. But usually pleasent when they get to you. The guidance counselor is wonderful.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

128 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

127 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

146 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

153 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

152 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

152 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

127 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 5 Star Award (2006)
  • 5 Star Award (2007)
  • A+ school for the past 7 years. (2007)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:00
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Multiple disabilities
  • Specific learning disabilities

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now