Parkland, FL
Students enrolled: 3,038

Posted November 18, 2014
Okay I can not believe that I am submitting a review for my school. However, coming from a top ten percent student in my class, and reading all of these overtly, exaggeratedly nasty reviews about this school, I felt it was my duty to, at the very least, explain why this school has a mere 3 stars as the community rating while the GreatSchools rating gave it a 9. I SUGGEST ALL PARENTS TO READ THIS REVIEW. Ok, so I want parents that are thinking about enlisting their children into this school to realize that this rating system of schools on this website is COMPLETELY BIASED. Why? This is due to the nature of this rating system. Think about it, when you eat at a restaurant are you more likely to go submit a review of the food on a website like yelp when you are extremely dissatisfied with the food or when you thought the food was great? Most of the time it will be former. This is because most people that liked the food will just walk out and tell their friends and family to go try it out. Therefore, the average 3 stars of this school is not what most people of this school think it deserves, nor do I.

Posted September 28, 2014
MSD is a really good school. All you have to do is try your hardest, and there's no way you can ever fail a class or dislike your teachers. Lots of AP classes, but I'm not an AP kid, though. The cafeteria is quite large, but it's too cold most of the time. You have the choice to eat outside (like a lot of kids do). When the weather gets a tad cold lots of kids bring blankets or towels and sit in the middle of the courtyard under the sun. It's really nice having some freedom like that. The film program is the best! The teacher is a great guy who makes the class a lot of fun. They have a bunch of clubs and sports to join. I'm in the animal rights club (PAWS) and Anime club. The clubs are students run, and there's also National Honor Societies to join. The teachers are great and really care about the students. There's a bunch of sport, too. The drama classes and dept. are crazy good! My friends and I have a lot of fun at school. The teachers make class interesting enough so that falling asleep rarely happens. The media center has tons of books and computers, and you can go there during lunch as well. All in all, I'm glad that I'm attending MSD for another year. I love my school!

Posted September 27, 2014
I originally moved from Orlando , Florida to the Parkland area in 1999. My daughter did fine in Elementary and Middle school. Things totally changed once she reached high school. Stoneman high school is extremely overrated. My daughter was an average student without any behavior problems. She complained of bathrooms being locked up by administration. Extreme over crowding and lots of bD influences. If your child is a neurotic overachiever this school does offer advanced studies and strong academics at the highest level. This is misleading to parents of average students. I ended up sending my daughter to a private school , and she ended up receiving a Golf scholarship at a D1 school. If I did all over again I would never have sent my daughter to Stoneman Douglas. This school deserves negative stars!

Posted August 17, 2014
My son is going into his Senior year at Douglas. He was an A+ gifted student before high school, and has remained so in some classes. He has had such a mixture of teachers, from really awful to fantastic. But the really awful shouldn't be there at all. The school smells like pot all the time, and my kid doesn't ever go to the bathroom because all the kids get high there. Guidance is an absolute joke. They have insulted and put down my child based on appearance, and are the opposite of helpful with anything. In fact, they admit that that don't know what colleges look for. The lack of class choices compared to Coral Glades is significant. AP Music Theory is something offered at most High Schools, but not here, as well as many others, like Philosophy.

Posted July 29, 2014
We moved to Florida in 2012. My oldest daughter was going into 10th grade. She was dreading a new school and understandibly, very nervous her first day. Not only is she shy, but the school is huge! Douglas's Peer Counciling program was such a huge help. The first day of school they paired her up with someone (same age student) to show her to each class and to sit with her during lunch for the first week. My daughter adjusted perfectly, loved the school, the teachers, and her new friends. I had originally heard horror stories/rumors about Douglas, but she /we found none of them to be true. The expectations are higher at Douglas than her previous high school - but she just had to work harder! She is now going into her senior year. We love living here and have nothing negative to say about this school.

Posted May 06, 2014
If only someone at this school even thought to care about the kids. No one does. The classes are over flowing and the teachers can do nothing but have the kids standing. The staff is cold and crass and say we have 3100 kids here what can we do when you talk to them. We moved here due to this being a great school district. Well it is not and I am looking around for my middle school child's high school as it is not this school. Wake up Stoneham Staff you are not an A school. Teachers do not care and even when a student asks they just say don't worry I'll mark it done. No teaching really my child was confused and could not get a teacher to teach.

Posted March 18, 2013
Good helpful teachers who take the time to help students plus a good variety of AP & honors courses for advanced students.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School 2

Posted March 10, 2012
We moved into this area specifically for this specific school and have 3 kids who are currently attending or soon to attend. Wow, if this is a 10, I would fear to see a 5. There are lots of benefits at this school due to it's size including wide array of course offerings and lots of extra activities. Problem is that "average" kids cannot truly benefit from the range of these options as it is a very, very competitive school where "average" kids can get sort of lost. And, I am not overstating this .. the school would be better if the guidance staff just stayed home. There is absolutely NO support, advice, assistance from this department and such is critical in a high school. They arrange a couple of college fair nights and leave kids to figure it all out on their own. It is abysmal. Teachers are the usual range of excellent to adequate ... a few who really care and go the extra mile ... lots and lots who collect the paycheck. We have found precious few teachers there who are available outside of class hour for extra help (many tutor for pay .. I have actually had to PAY my son's teacher as a tutor for extra help). I am underwhelmed and we are changing schools.

Posted January 25, 2012
This is the worst school I ever sent my children to I moved to the area for this school dont fool your self by the rating. From the top of the chain on down the staff have no intrest in helping at all they are there only for a pay check.Ask around before you put your kids in this school.I give them1 star

Posted December 05, 2011
I have been nothing but disappointed by this very very overrated high school. Lazy and uncaring teachers and very rude and disrespectful staff is abundant. The students are loaded up with homework and given difficult tests that have nothing to do with the homework. The teachers chat about their personal problems and social life rather than teach. Thank God my daughter is bright and a good student because if she weren't she would be failing.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
5901 Pine Island Road, Parkland, FL  33076
Last modified Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 81 reviews. Top