448 students|Escambia

Bad
Good

We are a military family so I can honestly say we have moved our fair share over the years. This school is by far the worst school I have ever had to deal with. Please if you are reading this do not send your child to this school. Today was this first day of school and I had such bad anxiety all night because of all of the nightmarish issues that we dealt with the year prior. My husband is not up for transfer until the end of January but, for the greater good of our children have decided to move the kids and I early in order to avoid my daughter the pain of attending here for even five more months. You know it is bad when we have choosen to be apart early ( which we have no choice but to be separated) going into his 3 years of sea duty in order to get the kids away from this school! The lady who sits in the front desk is extremely rude and condescending. The administration is absolutely nowhere to be found even when you ask and request meetings you're denied. And last year the guidance counselor actually told me because I was pregnant I was over emotional about my child being bullied because of the color of her skin. I will be following this review up with on heck of a school board complaint .

My experience was horrible, the teacher called my son names and constantly embarrassed him in front of the students. The principal didn't care and refused to allow me to sit in the class saying this would make the teacher uncomfortable. His second teacher at the school did not believe in giving children homework and my son did not progress at all. Another teacher in the school told me to move him to another school, she would never let her child attend OJ Semmes. This school is horrible the teachers don't care and the principal seems lost, poor leadership.

The worst school ever! The Principal Mrs.Smith need to be fired! Its starts from the top to the bottom if the Principal dont care then the Teachers will not care also the students want care very sad! Smh how does she still have a job.

My daughter went to this school last year. We moved out of Mrytol Grove district into Semmes district. My daughter was an A+ student at Mrytol Grove got to o.j Semmes making A/B student where at both schools I volunteer & Mrytol Grove I felt like they was harder on there students however my daughter asked if she could return to Mrytol Grove. Her words was mom i know you say don't call people getto but that school is getto can I please go back to Mrytol Grove I'm not learning anything here & she is only 7 years old.

I have heard this was a good school but would like to hear more from the parents. My son might be starting here soon.

Last modified O. J. Semmes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.