1,022 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My child came from McNab Elementary, and is happy and safe at Pompano Middle. We decided on Pompano after much research. We knew coming in that this is an east side public school with some low performing elementary schools feeding into it. With the new IT magnet program, the school is changing. I am confident that my child will complete the magnet and GEM classes, and will advance to Pompano High. My sixth grader got involved in sports and clubs right off the bat and is proud to be a Bengal. Any concerns that I have voiced have been answered by the administration, faculty, or staff. I'm not sure where the "fights every day" and "not getting in PBHS" rumors are coming from, I was worried about the same before we started the year, but they are not valid. To the reviewer after me, I stand by my review. My child reported a cafeteria fight at the beginning of the year, which was dealt with right away. I'm involved with the PTSA and SAC organizations and spend time in the school. While on campus, I have not seen any said fighting, and have been impressed by the politeness of the students. Have I heard curse words while on campus? Yes- it's public middle school and I'm sure I said some bad words when I was that age, too. Every family has to make their own decision regarding school selection. After reading a number of negative reviews I felt I was important for me to share my family's experience. Also, we are on this IT magnet path towards our goal of PBHS, and am wondering if those saying that their student did not or will not have the opportunity to is not in the sixth grade/first round of the new program. I've heard during several meetings (including a meeting that was attended by a PBHS magnet coordinator) that this applies only to those students. I mean no disrespect to anyone, I was simply sharing my review.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Horrible school for learning differences. Special need kids are kept away, in the back of the school, and area where no one is. The principal likes to keep them out sight out mind. You need to make sure you stay on top, from day one, if your kid has a learning disability because some of the teachers will not follow the guidelines. Taking it up with The Braziel won't do any good either since she will just sweep it under the rug.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They look the other way in order to keep the school out of problems with the board and parents.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Homework is given, not graded on time and not entered on time. Your child will have an F in the report card but an A because the teachers do not input the grades into the system. They will not change it either so your kid is left with a low grade showing in the system even if they have an A

HUGE MISTAKE GOING HERE. My child started in this school with a group of friends from McNab Elementary for the new Information Technology and Computer Engineering magnet program. We were all lured in by a great "open house" and a cool new theme. The magnet program consists of about half of the students in each grade. I have come to find out there is no way all (apx. 150) of our kids will get into Pompano Beach H.S. We are told they can get into Deerfield Beach High School, Ely or other schools now that we are here. The magnet coordinator will tell you anything to get you to enroll here BUT this is her last year here since she is retiring. I feel duped. So far there have been a ridiculous amount of fights here at Pompano Middle. You become numb to it. Three years will feel like 20 years to you if you go here and your kid suffers everyday.

My son attends the school, great teaching team. Any issues with improper personal behavior is dealt with quickly and effectively.

Unsafe environment, fights, thefts, foul language, lack of respect to both students and teachers. Just a terrible learning environment. I feel horrible dropping off my child every morning knowing that they don't want to be there and are afraid.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

only a few are very good teachers and pompano is very lucky too even have them working for the school

Lots of lying, stealing, favoritism and many other things. threaten Ms. Braziel by telling her you'll call the district watch how she goes from rude to nice in a couple of seconds. fakest principle I've ever had

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

School is JUST below a B grade. Many schools struggling, while this school thrives through support from administration on down.

Last modified Pompano Beach Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.