No rating

Highlands Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 650 students

Our school is best known for outstanding excellence in Christ-centered education

Living in Pompano Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $60,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Posted October 5, 2014

As a Christian parent, I was looking for a Christ-centered private school that would encourage my child's faith and offer a well rounded educational program. From the first day my child started school at Highlands Christian Academy, the admin and staff worked on finding my childs strengths and led him in getting involved. The administration are compassionate for each child and sincerely care for their spiritual and social development as well as their educational and extracurricular activities. The experienced and long term administration has shown stability for the school that many schools I looked at, did not have to offer. They have an online grading system that also allows me as a parent to know how my child is doing academically on a daily basis. I love that my child has chapel weekly too. They attract outside speakers to challenge the students. I would have to give HCA an A+++ for the most well rounded spiritually focused school in the area.

Posted August 24, 2014

Very disappointed with Highlands. One thing I've learned is they will do anything to get a dollar out of you. Several of staff members smoke, dip and drink out of school hours witch I would think would be a no no, and has been well documented over the years I should add. Deerfield is a much safer and better option for your son or daughter

Posted August 24, 2014

Excellent Christian education. Loving and safe environment. Easy access to faculty and administration. Fantastic campus.

Posted August 24, 2014

To a parent the worst thing that can happen is to have your son bullied. The second worst thing is to have the school do nothing about it. STANDARD

Posted August 24, 2014

Not worth the money. It's a bunch of clowns that get pleasure out of getting your children in trouble.

Posted August 17, 2014

I give this school a BIG FAT ZERO. They have no team spirt they Do not have the emotional well being of the kids.They are doing bad finically because kids are leaving the school.No parent participation. I have heard of middle school kids being bullied and they don't handle it they just say lets pray about it. They hide behind GOD because they are NOT doing their job. I do NOT recommend this school . My kids had a terrible experience and school should be fun. The teachers act like the kids friends then turn on them as soon as they get the chance. They are all hypocrites. TERRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 20, 2014

I am a junior in high school and have attended this school since I was three years old. Both my older brothers went here as well. My oldest brother went to Liberty University. My middle brother has autism and now works in a welding shop. I love all the teachers. I love my school. I don't know what some of these posts are talking about with lack of discipline as that has never been my experience. I feel all my teachers, office ladies, lunch ladies, daycare ladies, and the principals really care about us. There is no school I would rather be at than Highlands Christian Academy. I know my brothers loved this school too! If you want your kids to have the best education in an environment where the people who work there really care about you, then this is the school for them!

Posted January 30, 2014

I currently attend Highlands Christian Academy, and I have been here since fourth grade. So far, the experience has been great, until this 2013-2014 school year. My classmates and I truly feel it's going downhill from the amazing school it used to be. We don't get to do half the things students in the past got to do, and the education and discipline is so poor. In most of my classes, my teachers are too busy trying to settle down the students to even teach the lesson. It's not always the teacher's fault, but the students here are wild almost, they never stop trying to get themselves in trouble. The education doesn't get good until junior year, apparently. Also, the authority figures always seem so unorganized and 'too busy' to even just talk to students who ask to see them. Still, this is an amazing place to make lifelong friends. And although the small student body can cause some drama, it feels like a huge family when I'm there. It always seems like everyone is laughing! The pros weigh over the cons most definitely, but I just thought I'd share how I see the school from a students point of view.

Posted August 29, 2013

I went to highlands Christian academy for 11 years and loved it! I just graduated this year (2013) and miss it already. The teachers are great! They truly care about you and will become your best friends when you leave highlands. They also are very good at their profession. I learned so much while going here and they prepared me for college well. They are a great Christian school and helped me grow closer to The Lord. I actually want to go back and teach because I loved it so much! I recommend the school!

Posted August 27, 2013

I had a very terrible experience with this school and I am being generous in offering them one star. I have never posted a review of any kind in my life but this time truly has to be an exception. The school lacks discipline in the middle school and the kids just simply try to best each other in getting the most detention for the week. I paid a very hefty sum to learn my lesson about this school and I would never recommend to anyone. Parents, do your homework and look further.

Posted August 16, 2012

We have been at Highlands Christian for 6 years and moving into our 7th with two boys. Although the the tuition (fairly low for a private school) and campus ( fairly large for a Broward county private school) wer the first things that drew us, it has been the people that have kept us here. The teachers and staff really care about the students, not only grade wise, but as individuals. There is a reasonable number of kids per grade for social development, but not so many that ours get lost in the crowd. The academics are not top magnet school caliber, but they do offer a challenge and push for any intelligent child. There are additional programs within the basics for those who want to stretch themselves. We haven't experienced the high school yet, but we have noticed that there are about 4 AP classes and a number of honors classes as well. One negative that I have seen is that they do not fully utilize the wonderful parent base that exists. I think that with a more active PTA and more input from parents, Highlands would rise to a whole other level. Thanks!

Posted July 29, 2012

Highlands Christian Academy provides a Christ centered education by offering quality educational and extra curricular programs, such as athletics and fine arts. Over the years, I have witnessed my children grow to be well rounded individuals who have excelled academically, but most importantly, spiritually. The administration and faculty genuinely care about the students and work hard to help them succeed. I would recommend HCA to those parents searching for an excellent Christian school environment.

Posted July 15, 2012

My children have attended this school for ten years. This last year was a disaster they took their eye of the prize of teaching about God. They were focused on many problems they had from a new computer system , many students not from Christian families and they fired the high school principal and a few others. They lost over 100 kids last year and they continue to say the decline is based on finance. The decline is based on you and how you run a school. In todays competitive market you can't be winging it for Jesus daily and survive. I pray that HCA will survive. The school is academically suffering in the high school and the educational standard is declining. We used to love the school but they have learned how to focus on a few kids and have idolizd them. They have not maintained the high standard God calls us to be which is excellent. We used to have better parent involvement and know we have nothing.

Posted June 30, 2012

As a parent I searched high and low for a school that would meet our standards for our daughters education. Florida has one of the lowest rated schools in the country, I am so glad to see that at Highlands they fight to maintain quality academics and athletics...and the fruit of their labor reflects in the students there. I love that they are providing an amazing CHRIST-CENTERED education when so many other schools are trying to be of the world. I see us being here through graduation and encourage everyone to bring their child to be part of the experience.

Posted June 30, 2012

My child is entering 7th grade as a parent I believe this is a crucial and influential time in her life. I am blessed to know that she will be in an environment that focuses on putting God first. My interactions with the teachers and principals so far has been AMAZING....I strongly believe that the education of my child is a partnership we take on and I am glad to be partnered up with them. I STRONGLY recommend anyone to send their kids to Highlands.

Posted May 29, 2012

My child attended the VPK program at this school. It was a horrible experience. They discouraged parents from being involved in the class room or volunteering at all. They over used time outs for the smallest offense. They also made children hold the "BIg Book" in the preschool directors class room till there arms tired as punishment. They took away play time on the playground with time out where they sat children in the sun along a hot fence. I spoke with other parents and they had the same experiences and where really upset as well. They are new to the VPK system and are majorly lacking in providing a positive and joyful introduction to school. Do not send your children here.

Posted August 2, 2011

My child has attended this school since K-3. The elementary school years are quite challenging. They are now working on more challenging strategies for the secondary school years, which they did not have before. I LOVE that my child has the opportunity to be surrounded by those who want to follow Jesus Christ's leadership. They are missing a school nurse and guidance counselors, which is needed in any school out there. This school wants the best for your child spiritually and academically, which is very rare to find in any private or public school. HCA is a diamond in the rough. I highly recommend it!!

Posted August 2, 2011

This is the 5th year my kids have gone to HCA. The teachers, principal and students are all wonderful. Academic excellence is stressed, along with a love of faith and family.

Posted January 19, 2011

I have kids that attend HCA as well. They offer a unique family atmosphere where the teachers care for the kids and the parents. They truly want your kids to succeed in life. They give them the academic and spiritual tools they will need to move onto college and beyond. I can't say they are not without their faults but what school doesn't have some sort of faults if you are truly honest about your current school. They welcome parental involvement in all areas of the school.

Posted January 9, 2010

This is a wonderful school. I just moved to south Florida and this is the only school i found to be clean, welcoming and worth driving 18 miles each way for! i had searched for a school in many areas and this one I felt the best about. I have two girls, one in fourth and the other in pk. Both love going to school and both have wonderful teachers that care deeply about the children in their academics and personally. Its a close knit Christian environment...Just great

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Abundant Life Christian Academy
St. Paul Lutheran
Lighthouse Christian
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 20% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 70% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 6% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 2% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Liberty University
Palm Beach Atlantic
FAU
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Spanish
Portuguese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ken Lopez
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Associations
  • FCCAP
Fax number
  • (954) 421-2429

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

3 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
178
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
700
Students typically come from these schools
Abundant Life Christian Academy

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Liberty University
Palm Beach Atlantic
FAU
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013