Port St. Lucie, FL
Students enrolled: 1,222

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 30, 2015
I feel that the teachers do their best to teach the children! I am also aware of my part as a parent and do not expect the teachers to do my share! I have been very happy with my kids teachers!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 30, 2015
I feel the home work load is acceptable! Not too much, not too little! They are mindful of students, and parents lives outside the classroom!

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 30, 2015
For a student body of this size, I am very impressed at the level administration goes to in order to provide peace between peers! If there is a bullying issue it is handeled right away!

Posted May 30, 2015
I like the way administration handles the school! Good teachers, safe learning invironment, great public school!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 30, 2015
The school does everything to keep kids at peace with each other! They take care of any bullying issues. For a school with a large student body, I am impressed with how they handle issues.

Posted April 23, 2014
This school is seriously one of the best schools in the county. From the principal down to the students, It gets an A+, Mr. C is a wonderful principal who knows children and how to help them succeed. So many people at this school deserve grades of A+ and the list is so long, that I don't think I have enough characters to write about them and why I adore and admire them. I just wish I didn't wait until my son's second year to find this amazing place. He has flourished and I am so proud of him and so very grateful to every person that works here, even the cafeteria staff. Any school can teach a kid with great behavior and good study habits. That's easy!!! It takes a GREAT school to mold and develop kids to reach that level! Too many schools give up on kids that don't adjust. Not here - they go above and beyond. I love West Gate K-8 and I want everyone to know it!
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 11, 2013
This is my second child attending Westgate k-8. My youngest son has since graduated and went on to HS. He is developmentally delayed and was given the utmost attention and education at his level with professionalism and support. My daughter now attends the school and cries if she is unable to go to school or I have to pick her up early. Teachers are awesome and the principal is #1 in my book.

Posted December 10, 2013
I am a substitute teacher in both St Lucie and Martin counties and I think that West Gate is one of the best schools in the area. The teaching staff and the administration do an excellent job at motivating and teaching self control to the children.

Posted September 20, 2013
I believe you can pick up on a vibe of an institution after 10 minutes of walking around. When we first toured West Gate the teachers were all smiling and the principal seems to be everywhere at once; and also smiling! My first and third grader are excited to go to school daily and each teacher we have had goes above and beyond to help their students stay involved and successful. I have had the opportunity to work within several SL county schools in my experiences and West Gate never disappoints.

West Gate K-8 School 4

Posted August 15, 2013
I had attended West Gate since the school had opened - which means when I was in the second grade. Now, I am heading into high school on August 19, and the school has been great to me. Sure, some faculty, staff, teachers, and students aren't going to like you - but that's in every school. I loved my elementary years - and liked my middle school years. I was freaking out once we had to graduate eighth grade because I couldn't believe after being in at the school for seven years, that it was finally time for me to leave and move on to another school. I've met a lot of friends there, and met a lot of people that I shouldn't talk to - overall, everyone is okay. Miss Nycstrom (now known as Mrs. Stetz), Mr. Apostalico (no longer teaches here), Mrs. Shremmer, and Coach Caroll are amazing teachers. There are also some hilarious members of the Mustang family, and the principal is a kind man who I've never personally seen get furious at anyone before. I'm going to miss this school since it had been my second home for a long time, but maybe one day, it'll be another home for my kids in the future.

1050 Northwest Cashmere Boulevard, Port St. Lucie, FL  34986
Last modified West Gate K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Gate K-8 School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 140 reviews. Top