No rating

Kids Community College Charter School Southeast Hillsborough County School District

Charter | PK-3 | 180 students

We have been accepted as an IB Candidate School for 2013-2014 school year.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted May 17, 2013

Kid's Community College Southeast opened in August 2012 and became part of a dynamic family of schools in Florida. We pride ourselves on providing a nurturing school environment and a rigorous inquiry-based academic program. We have been approved as an official IB Candidate School for the 2013-2014 school year and will have a wide variety of IB resources available to us. Our parents play a big role in the success of our school and journey toward IB authorization through volunteerism, donations, and fundraising efforts. We have an open door policy and encourage frequent communication between home and school through several mediums and a minimum of one parent-professor conference per quarter. We provide a number of extended services based on student academic needs. Furthermore, our special needs students are served according to their individual education plans and are supported by KCC staff members. Additional support is provided through the Hillsborough School District. The thorough process of identifying special needs students is done in accordance with state and federal law, as well as Hillsborough School District policies.

Posted June 27, 2013

My child is looking forward to the new school year! That's amazing considering summer break just started! That's how much they love KCC. We have been with KCC for several years and pleased to continue our educational journey with the Southeast school. The same KCC philosophy we love and support is here: high quality education, supportive teachers and administration, high parental involvement, individual needs identified and met! I look forward to experiencing many more successful years with KCC!

Posted June 21, 2013

KCC SE's first school year was amazing! The students had a great time in and out of class. They enjoyed the hands-on and challenging curriculum as well as the extracurricular activities such as our International Festival and End of the Year program. The students didn't want summer break to start; they want to learn more!

Posted June 14, 2013

Before attending Kids Community College my son attended another public school in Riverview and it's an extremely active child and needed a place not only to excel in sports but also his education. He also needed a place where they would not judge him because of past experience or because his brother had trouble performing above average. This school provide a safe heaven where the kids can be themselves, they don't have to worry about how they dress, fit in, sound, walk, or talk. They are thought how to respect themsleves and each other. KidsCC provides a foundation that get their children ready for the real world. I was also worried about where I would send my oldest for Middle School because he does not fit in with what we call the "Cool Crowd" My son is the happiest I have ever seen him. He's performing way above average where before it was way below average; can you say "High Honor Roll!" KidsCC is making a huge difference in our community and our kids future. The staff welcomes you with a smile always. They are extremely supportive and kind....Love them!!!!

Posted June 11, 2013

Kids Community College is a great school and I have been working with them for a number of yerars. I have seen many children come and go and they have benefited from the staff, and the other children of their peers. The staff cares about each of the children and go above and beyond to help them in any way possilbe.

Posted June 11, 2013

KCC is the greatest school I have come in contact with. I have 3children and have delt with several schools and none can compare to them

Posted June 11, 2013

Excellent education enviroment that promote the succes of my daughter, we can not be happier with the resultes and the progress she had made.

Posted June 11, 2013

I have 2 children at KCC Southeast that both just finished Kindergarten. Our school experiences so far aren't as vast as some, however, from the schools that we have experienced and the experience we have received at KCC, I can not say enough great things. My children have had a very pleasant experience and are happy every day that they go to school. They have performed phenomenaly and are looking forward to further education at the Southeast Campus of KCC. My wife and I have recommended this school to several other families that are looking for a source for better education and we will continue to recommend this fine school!! GO COUGARS!!

Posted June 11, 2013

My school (family) here at KCC is nothing short of amazing. They are caring, informative, and truly have our kids interest in their hearts. I can not say enough about it here at KCC. I have had my kids at a public school and a different Charter school and they didnt even compare to KCC.

Posted June 10, 2013

It is a pleasure working at KCC SE and coming to work every day. Here at KCC SE everyone is treated as an individual instead of a number. With a diverse professor and student body, both students and professors learn from each other and each culture is celebrated.

Posted May 22, 2013

My child attends KCC SE. This school is awesome! In one school year they have accomplished some of the most amazing results I could have ever hoped for. They won my confidence as a school that teaches my child on a higher academic level, creates opportunity for learning about & interacting with community beyond the school doors. My child exhibits math, reading, science, social studies and writing skills far above other schools both private and public at her grade level. I'm so pleased but the thing that I truly feel blessed to be a part of this school is when I see my child interact with other children and adults with respect and consideration. I teach her these traits at home, but I know that a school has the ability to either reinforce or break down the things a child is taught at home. KCC SE just received their acceptance in the IB authorization process to be an IB Candidate school starting Sept. 2013. The construction of the new campus is moving extremely well to be open for the 2013-2014 school term. Wow! As a parent, I'm amazed how much this small school has accomplished without ever pressuring me to fundraise or give. They just get it done for us. I love KCC SE.

Posted May 19, 2013

As a professor (teacher) of the school, I am surprised at the misinformation regarding serving students with exceptionalities. Our school is well known for the individual attention given to EVERY student based on their learning modality and specific needs. I gladly spend additional hours each week ensuring my lessons plans reach the individual child and I know my peers do as well. We gladly do it. It's who we are and it's the culture of our company and our school. We are very approachable and I don't understand why any parent wouldn't let us know directly if they had any concerns. We all work extremely hard to ensure that our students are well served and that the parents are included as part of the educational process. Misleading comments like these don't deter me, they make me more determined to make sure that we truthfully and faithfully served EVERY CHILD to the best of our ability.

Posted May 17, 2013

I couldn't disagree more with the parent below regarding services provided to children with special needs. I, too, have a special needs student that attends this school and feel they go above and beyond to ensure the needs of my child and my family are met. Most parents who must contend with the ESE process understand that its very seldom that the delay in the approval process is likely a condition of the School District process, not that of the school. The school is at the mercy of the School District resources, which I've found is always the delay. However, even before we received that approval, accommodations were already being made for my child by KCC. As for fees and fundraisers, we didn't find either to be unreasonable. We all have to purchase supplies off of the supply list and last I checked, most schools have fundraisers. At this school, you see where those funds are spent and it's all for the benefit of the children. WE LOVE IT HERE and wouldn't want to be any where else. Small campus, small classes, premium learning!

Posted May 17, 2013

I also feel the negative remark below is unfair and honestly makes me angry. The school does quite well on a modest budget. This is the ONLY charter school that I know of anywhere in this state that has attempted to become an IB PYP school. The IB program is very expensive to offer and parents ilke me are more than happy to help support the school through fundraising efforts. I am not wealthy by any means, but I do my part to make it a success. District schools regularly ask for money or donations and they receive MORE money per student. As far as special services are concerned, the school follows district procedures and is at the mercy of the district when scheduling meetings.

Posted May 17, 2013

I am very pleased with the attention my child gets at KCC. We tried the neighborhood school and felt like our child was not receiving enough support from the teacher. This is a great little school in Riverview.

Posted April 24, 2013

Kids with any kind of special needs please beware. This school is a hard hitter on fundraising and required fees. If you look at the other reviews coincidentally they all came in around the same time. I had numerous communication issues with this school on top of them requiring financial contributions that are out of most families budgets. My child had paperwork in place for enrichment services and it took 10 weeks before it was implemented and only at my urging and going further to speak with someone. I was not kept informed of my child's academic progress and would only get the grades at report card times. We liked the teacher and the Ib Coordinator but I will say the school as a whole has a lot of kinks they need to work out.

Posted April 17, 2013

We are so pleased to have an International Baccalaureate modeled school in our area. The teachers here are deeply involved with each child and really seem to care for each one. The children are treated as individuals and are expected to do their very best at learning. The standards are very high and the children are meeting them since most are doing work well beyond grade level. I am especially impressed with the leadership. The principal is constantly interacting with the teachers and children and everyday seems like a joy to her. The IB coordinator is extremely knowledgable about the program and its goals and requirements. With the opening of the new school building on Balm Riverview Road in the fall of 2013, the school will probably have long waiting lists since it offers very high quality and very high standards. Parental involvement is required and appreciated. There are many extra events that parents help with such as International Festival, Book Fairs, Cougar Care Club, Soccer and Family Fun Days. It is a pleasure to stop by the KCC Southeast campus. You sense the positive atmosphere throughout the entire school.

Posted January 27, 2013

My family takes a lot of pride in being a part of the KCC SE family! The staff is wonderful and truly teaches to the child. There are so many opportunities to get involved, for the students and the families. I like that parents are required to volunteer a minimum of 20 hours per year. I think it is important for parents to know their child's teacher, as well as the other adults their child/ren are spending so much time with each day. The staff is very welcoming and always accessible. They have even started welcoming my son already and he won't start kindergarten until the next school year! They know us by name and truly seem to care. I also appreciate that the children learn a global awareness, as well as investing in the community around them. We look forward to participating at KCC SE as it continues to grow! I highly recommend this school.

Posted January 25, 2013

KCC Southeast has amazing staff and teachers. Mrs. Borders is the most wonderful teacher and genuinely cares for her students and their individual development. My child loves going to school and her KCC family!

Posted January 24, 2013

I'm very excited to have my son enrolled in KCC SE!!!. My wife and I were looking for a school were our kid could go beyond the standard education and develop himself as a integral human being. I knew about KCC SE because our friends had their children in KCC family for many years and I saw their advance in many academic areas and their character is definitely different from the kids enrolled in other schools. I'm very happy about the progress of my little one and knowing that he's in the IB program is a peace of mind ingredient for our lives. The staff is awesome, professionals in their fields of practice and very kind people. I truly recommend KCC SE for parents looking for a school with high performance and educational excellence.

Posted January 24, 2013

I am very excited to be a part of the KCC Southeast Family. Kids Community College has a wonderful school environment that challenges every student to go above and beyond with their academic programs. KCC teachers have an extremely positive outlook and are constantly looking for new ways to help the students excel in all areas of education. The leadership at KCC is awesome! Kids Community College IB modeled campus is great at looking at other cultures and helping the students understand not only their environment, but also in assisting the students to grasp the entire world and the other cultures that it entails. I would recommend Kids Community College to any student who wants to excel and obtain a love for education and learning.

Asian 15% 3%

Master's degree 0%N/A36%
Doctorate degree 0%0%1%
Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Gifted specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Dutch
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Foreign languages
Foreign languages taught
  • Some students will also learn Dutch.
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Dutch
  • Korean

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 2:55 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:15 p.m.
  • Martha Caballero
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (813) 671-1245

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Multiple Intelligence approach
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Foreign languages
  • Global
Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Some students will also learn Dutch.
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom