1,347 students|Pinellas

Bad
Good

I agree with the first 2 posts learning here is a joke they do bride kids to pass tests my son passed the F-Cat with no problems but it really made him angry when they started offering Universal passes and free prom tickets to those who could re-take the test and pass, my son was in the arts program and he was not one of the select few who was privileged to participate he was treated like an outcast and the regular classes were so disrupted by rude kids they didn't learn as much as they should have. When he got to college he had to take a lot of math and chemistry classes to catch up and begin working on his degree

Gibbs is a terrible school. The academics are substandard with many "retakes" on tests while the arts program is clearly established for only a select few (so select that the majority of arts kids can't even participate). Why there is still funding for this school is beyond me.

gibbs is an amazing school...i love it sooo much my friends love it also we have soo many laugh s in this school...my grades are very good and i will always be a gladiator!!!!

Gibbs High School's Pinellas County Center for the Arts (PCCA) program is the best in the county. Top-notch teachers, facilities and AP/Honors course offerings give students an excellent head start. Gibbs has a proven track record that has opened many doors for students leading them to a successful career in the arts. PCCA offers focused comprehensive concentrations in Visual Art, Technical Theatre, Theatre, Dance and Music.

it's definitely an interactive school whatever type of person you are there's always a plce where you can fit in

I am a Senior this year (Class of 2010) i am in travel and Tourism. since 10th Grade (sophomore) year because all freshman not in Beta or PCCA are in the renaissance program. And i have to say even though Gibbs is now a F school (one point from a D) and now declared the worst school in Pinellas county. Gibbs High School is still a great school. I've been here since my freshman year. they have a lot of great programs. One of them is the JROTC program. There are a lot of fights at this school and other bad things. Some of the activities are bad. they barely give us the chance of Pep-Rallies. we need more of them. We really don't do anything activites outside of school corresponding with Gibbs. But i guess its alright because i have great friends and some of the teachers are amazing. IfYouPickTheRightClassesThenYouWillHave A great time.

Yes I can agree with some of the comments of Gibbs. I am in the PCCA Program, and I would actually say I am impressed even though we are treated like we are in jail. It is unfair to me that what the general population does, they think every one else will do. I love the program, and the kids at Gibbs and I do plan on staying for my whole high school experience. I would say the teaching is a lot better than my old high school (Osceola High).

Gibbs High School is a D school for good reason. Speaking honestly, as helpful and understanding as the staff can be, many hate being there as much as several students. If you are a smart indidvidual don't plan on learning anything Freshman or Sophomore year. You have to wait until you can start taking all AP classes Junior and Senior year. The school struggles so much, and students pay so little attention that I have actually been provided answers on exams just so the school keeps good records. The only salvation the school has are its magnet programs, the PCCA and BETA programs. Unfortunately, because the facultycan't trust the students at all, in fear that there will be an uprising of some sort, there is little, if any student freedom outside of these Magnet Departments.

'Top notch' arts education at the PCCA program at Gibbs High School comes at a significant price to students due to parent frustrations. For example a parent cannot plan from week to week for transportation. The schedules that are sent home state start times for rehearsals, recitals, etc not end times. They never end at a consistently. When you call the school to find out, they say they don't know... it depends on how many kids are performing that day. Our lives as parents are basically on hold pending the next loosely scheduled event. The traffic circle there is second to none in ineptitude. We have cross US 19 without any help from faculty or the SRO who stand up on the grass and watch the traffic-- no one directs it.

As a recent graduate of the BETA program at Gibbs I can say that while it sounds excellent in theory, in practice it has many glaring flaws. The organization of the staff is non-existent; if an assembly is scheduled for today, not one of your teachers will know about it until 5 minutes beforehand, when the announcement is made. The BETA classes were across the street at PTEC when I attended and was something of a blessing and a curse. However our separation from the Gibbs 'society' at large was a benefit as we we're therefore able to actually try to learn, rather than given passing grades so the school could improve it's dismal score. I would not recommend this school to anyone serious about learning.

Last modified Gibbs High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.