Lake Mary Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1002 students

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted June 23, 2014

This school was excellent great teachers, organized, and safe environment. All and all had a great experience for my 2 kids.

Posted January 26, 2014

They don't have a clue. Terrible experience. Bullying issues that are not addressed. If a parents challenges administration or asks to many questions they find a way to transfer the student immediately. Less than a 24 hour notice.

Posted December 17, 2013

I have 2 children that attended the school for their 1st year. Children are left outside classroom until doors are opened to their room at 835. Anyone can walk onto the grounds easily. Needs more security. The teachers are new and no personal attention. One of the kids in my son's class spit gum in the teachers face and he was back at school the next day. No Discipline. First and Last year for us at Lake Mary.

Posted May 16, 2013

This is my daughters last year in Lake Mary Elementary and she will miss this school. It has been a great place for her to be challenged and learn and prepare her for 6th grade. We had great experiences with her teachers throughout the years. I am not sad to see the car line end. People do not know how to properly merge, they drive in the wrong way to avoid the drive to get to the front, how many times I had to brake to allow them to pass is quite annoying. Hopefully they will remedy this for next year.

Posted January 14, 2013

My daughter now attends Lake Mary Elementary school after we moved here from Minnesota. She is in 1st Grade with Mrs. Chaires and she loves it! I've had nothing but great experiences with the facilty and staff, but I have never met the pricipal. Other than that, nothing but good things about this school, the parents, and the kids.

Posted October 28, 2012

My child transferred to Lake Mary Elementary from Heathrow Elementary earlier this year. I felt a bit hesistant. However, I am amazed how much he has grown (from an academic and emotional standpoint). His teachers are outstanding! They actually care. The environment is warm and accepting. I am very thankful that my child is a student here. He enjoys attending school here. What a great change.

Posted April 24, 2012

After transferring from Hamilton this school was a big improvement. However, my daughter is asking to attend a different school next year. She explained that the art teacher is constantly yelling at the students and the art class is very dull and boring. She explained that her previous teacher at Gompers Elementary made art fun but not here. I also have had complaints about the P.E. classes. There have been several incidents that other students were not listening or following directions and the rest of the kids had to pay the consiquences for their actions by having to sit down in the pavillion for the entire gym class without moving or talking. Don't get me wrong the curriculum teachers my children have had have been great but this school needs improvement. Also all of their technology equipment is outdated and not enough for all of the students.

Posted February 20, 2012

I am relocating to the area and am inquiring information about the school, from the reviews I am wondering how true is the unwelcomed feeling parents get when visiting, I am very involved in my childs education and love to help and assist in school. Will this be an issue? Also, is traffic bad when picking up and dropping off your children?

Posted August 26, 2011

There are some wonderful teachers at this school. Some great parent volunteers also. Some of the reviews I've read here, using the office staff or the car line traffic as an excuse to not get involved in the school is pathetic. A school is as good as the team of parents, teachers, and administrators make it. Get involved instead of griping about administration. Lake Mary Elementary has been a great school for many years, and hopefully the new team will continue the success.

Posted October 4, 2010

I agree with the last post. There are many fine teachers, however we have also been made to feel most unwelcome and treated with a lack of respect by the office and support staff. I agree that it tends to dampen the community enthusiasm as I do not want to get involved if I am made to feel unwelcome. I also don't enjoy being yelled at by the staff when I have waited in the car lane for 40 mins to pick my child up in the afternoon.

Posted November 9, 2009

There are many fine teachers at Lake Mary Elementary. The problem is the principal. She has a very heavy handed management style. She is always right and will not accept a difference of opinion gracefully. Parents are not made to feel welcome which tends to dampen community enthuasiasm.

Posted March 4, 2009

Wow! It is extremely surprising to read so many negative reviews about such a wonderful, hardworking school. I am a teacher at LME and I have been there for many years. I have watched numerous teachers, assistants, and administrators work so hard to provide a successful, positive learning environment for a diverse group of students. In reading some of these reviews, I find it appalling to read things like 'some teachers are just there for the paycheck' and 'the principal's management style is her staff is always right.' We come to school early, we stay late, and we think about our students while we should be sleeping at night. Our principal is a valiant leader who supports her staff and has made all of LME's students' education a top priority. It seems the only thing lacking is community support.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 13, 2008

I agree! The principal at this school is unaproachable. She runs the school like a dictator. I dont believe she still has a clue my childs name even though she is an excellent student. I believe the focus here is all wrong. We have been blessed with some great teachers along the way but I think they are even stiffled by the managment at this school. What a shame!

Posted May 21, 2007

If your child has no issues, and you can go with the herd, this is a good choice for you. We moved to LM 8-06 for the schools, and are bitterly disappointed. I hope there are good teachers at this school, but I do not have experience with them. Investigate, do not go on school report cards alone.

Posted April 21, 2007

Once upon a time this school amazed me. You could see the teachers planned together and cared for each other. A new principal came in 2003. Since then the school spirit and enrollment has gone down. Teacher that have worked at the school for years, have left. This school has really changed for the worst.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 17, 2006

There are many wonderful teachers at lake mary el. However the administration does not hold all teachers accountable. I was not pleased with the ese program nor the technology training both which have drastically declined with the new administration.

Posted May 14, 2006

I am very pleased about the academic program at Lake Mary Elementary School. My child is doing very well. I attend every PTA and stage production. I will say there is a teacher that throws stuff around the classroom and yells, and makes students cry. Now I know that young students can exagerate sometimes, but I heard enough incidents of this that there must be some truth to this. Lake Mary Elementary has a high rating among the elementary schools of Seminole and Orange Counties. I am glad I sent both my children to Lake Mary Elementary. I purposely kept the district in mind when we moved to our house.

Posted March 8, 2006

After two years at a very expensive private school in the area we switched our daughter to Lake Mary Elementary. Instead of being ahead of her new classmates, she was behind. The teachers have been wonderful, the academic program is right on target and the administration is approachable. The buildings do not compare to where we came from and the classrooms are cramped but the education is top flight.

Posted June 16, 2005

Don't buy into the hype that this is an A-school. Yes the students score well; however this is mostly because they come from stable and somewhat affluent backgrounds (not everyone, but probably higher than the surrounding area). In my opinion, many (but not all teachers) seem to be there for a paycheck. I suspect that these same government employees are there because the kids are easy to teach. The administration, including the principal, did't impress me as effective leaders or very responsive to parents. If you child wasn't born gifted, I would recommend against this school -- there are other schools in the area with dedicated teachers and a cooperative, caring administration. I think the quality of the academic programs, availability of music, art and sports to be average. The school doesn't seem to handle children with discipline problems very well. I saw a lot shouting and berating; with inconsistent consequences.

Posted March 7, 2005

My oldest daughter went here and I was very happy with the teacher and curriculum quality. The prinicpal was a strong leader. Last year, some changes were made and the high standards went down. Parents are very involved and this is what fills in the gaps for more help in the classroom.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

160 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

160 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

178 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

178 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

174 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

173 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

175 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

175 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

129 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

132 South Country Club Road