Sarasota Suncoast Academy

Charter | K-5 | 489 students

Posted June 26, 2014

Sarasota Suncoast Academy is a fantastic school. It is not for every child or parent. Parents sign a contract which is easy to read and understand about the rules and expectation of parents and child. This school provides an excellent education in academics and social skills. The Principal, Support Staff, and Teachers are the best I have ever encountered!! It truly is a community where children and families can flourish .

Posted May 15, 2014

Our experience was unpleasant. My child attended Suncoast for a year and I would not recommend the school.

Posted April 19, 2014

SSA is the best school in Sarasota. I have a daughter attending now and won't graduate for another couple years and already I am dreading that she can't continue on there past 5th grade. We have absolutely the best teachers and I hear from my daughters 3rd grade teacher several times a week. She's always coming up with suggestions to help my daughter stay focused. I would absolutely recommend this as the best elementary school in Sarasot, hands down!!

Posted April 18, 2014

The responsive classroom and CARES used at this school has benefited my child greatly. They have more than accommodated him, getting him an IEP and really working with him. He is a straight A student now!! It is like having a second family. They care about the individual child and families, and know all their names. We love this school!!

Posted March 24, 2014

Wow, don't let the last review from 3-19-14 deter you. Someone must have an issue with respect for Principals, teachers ect. How about a school with a little structure? If the parent doesn't show any respect towards the school, I know why their child didn't fit in... I's a great school, with great staff, and great families. You are welcomed every morning by the admin & some students while dropping your child off. I have always had a nice friendly wave & have a great day while leaving drop off area. Never have I had to "salute" anyone. A little common courtesy for others is hard to come by these days!!

Posted March 24, 2014

As a parent who started with the school when they first opened in a hole in the wall building, to the move to the current facility. I can tell you, I would never put my children any place else. Mr. Crump and his staff are very dedicated to the safety of all the students and parents. Here are some Facts. FACT: the local back roads to the school, when the school moved into the current location, they actually had to go to a zoning hearing. During that hearing the School s Board of Directors and the principal promised that the school would not impact the small back streets, and said parents would strongly be encouraged to use Clark Road into the facility. FACT: the accident at Proctor and Clark, that intersection has been horrible for decades, and accidents happened there long before the school was even in existence. The school has policies in place which are part of the parent contract, which has to be agreed to prior to enrolling in the school; and yes, choosing not to follow them is cause for removal. I now have a kindergartener starting and can t wait Suncoast here we come again!

Posted March 19, 2014

The posts for the week of 1/30/14 are a direct result of the principals facebook post to friends and family requesting that they post on here and give a good review so that others planning to enroll their kids for kindergarten will think the school is wonderful. Its a complete indication of his dictating and controlling personality. If you don't salute him, he will kick your child out of the school. He has only kids and families at the school who are conformed to his ways. This past year, as another example, he sent a note home to parents stating that if they drive up a back road leading to the school (that is not a local only or non public street), then the kids will be kicked out of school. There was a bad car accident on the main road that was being avoided the next morning with 2 Suncoast kids and their families involved. Be careful before you enroll your child here. It'll send you into a complete tizzy and out of nowhere you'll be dealing with drama and immaturity you cant even explain. The school is a charter school so they feel invincible since they're not monitored through the school board like a public school. It feels inner city vs like a small school at the church.

Posted February 5, 2014

The teachers and staff are amazing! This school is like an extended family, I feel safe leaving my child with them every day!

Posted February 4, 2014

If you are looking for a school where the teachers care about your child, the administration knows each student and the parents are actively involved you've found it here. Love that my kids are getting such an amazing education while learning important social skills as well. Couldn't be happier!

Posted February 2, 2014

I am a stay at home mom of two. My daughter is in 3rd grade and my son in kindergarten. I volunteer a lot and go on field trips. Each time I go the people where we visit say they have never seen such well behaved children. Thanks to Mr. Crump and his staff these kids learn C.A.R.E.S. (Cooperation, Assertion, Responsiblity, Empathy & Self Control). In 4 years I have never had my child tell me they had an issue with a kid bullying or being mean to them. Thanks to Mr. Crump who instills the CARES, my kids are getting a great education and learning the tools to know the difference between what is right and wrong both at home and at school. I am so grateful a school like this exists where they still hold true to old fashion values in a society where it just doesn't exist anymore. I also hear from many mom's of other schools all the negative things that go on that I never hear at this school. The parents at SSA are amazing and I never hear anyone talk behind another parents back. Very rare! We love our school, our principal and his staff! `Renee Daluise

Posted January 31, 2014

My children attend Sarasota Suncoast Academy. This is a great school! Involvement by parents, teachers, and the staff are what make this school so special. Everyone works together to create a good learning environment. Expectations are high and common sense structure help the children reach their goals and feel successful. It's a really wonderful school and I feel very grateful that my children are having such a positive learning experience.

Posted January 30, 2014

We love Suncoast! It is such a positive and nurturing environment. I have minimal worries sending my child to school here....And that says a lot these days.

Posted January 30, 2014

This is our families 8th school year at Suncoast Academy. With 5 children attending through the years at different academic levels (gifted and otherwise), We've had the best experience both educationally and otherwise. We appreciate the foundation of integrity and love for our children. Suncoast is more than just a school it is training ground for life! You could't pay me to take my kids anywhere else. Some of my children have moved on to middle school and have been shocked by the unkind behavior of others, having come from an environment of caring that Suncoast Academy offers. Some may feel that the Principal is strict and controlling but the truth is he loves the children and the only "control" that he asserts is to protect the environment from parents that bring in strife! There are other good schools out there but none that prepare children socially as well as academically quite the way Suncoast does. We have never been to the church there or even been asked to visit it. I would HIGHLY recommend this school!

Posted January 30, 2014

Suncoast has exceeded our expectations. I would highly recommend this school if you are looking for great leadership, education and community.

Posted January 30, 2014

This school has been wonderful, and families who don't end up choosing this school could benefit from learning about their approach. Some of the schools' practices sound controversial at first, but after learning about the motivations behind them I'm impressed at the willingness of the SSA administration to make the choices that are best for students; even when they are not easy or popular. I'm grateful for the consistent & fair approach. There are many great schools in the area and I'm grateful our child is here.

Posted January 30, 2014

I currently have 2 children attending Suncoast and an older son in middle school who attended as well. This is our 4th year at SSA and we love it. We have the best teachers, staff, and Principal in Sarasota. I drop my kids every morning knowing they are safe, loved, and getting a fabulous education as well as a stellar Character development program. Cooperation, Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy, and Self-Control (CARES) are modeled and taught on a daily basis. So grateful to have found this treasure of a school when we did.

Posted January 30, 2014

Sarasota Suncoast Academy is more like an extended family than a school. I can't imagine our daughter going anywhere else!

Posted January 29, 2014

The principal is a nut. If you have any level of understanding human behavior its clear. Be very careful of them and keep your kids away. He is a control freak and loves a power struggle and children are his cup of tea to push around. Be careful!

Posted October 28, 2013

We left this school for another about a year ago. I did not write a review sooner because I wanted it to be a fair review after I had to time to compare this charter school a public school, that has an A rating, high FCAT scores etc... Long story short, I was not happy with the teacher, and the principal refused to intervene, help us. When I contacted the school board, they basically told me they could not help me either, because they were a charter school. I had to file a formal complaint against the school/teacher, at the state level. I think their academics are average. They state that they want to be challenging, but I think any parent of a truly "gifted" child will be better off in one of the districts "gifted" schools. These reviews talk about community, and small town feel, which the school does have, so in that way it may be attractive to some, but we now attend a non- charter district school and have the exact same thing, and many more resources!Suncoast has no formal lilbrary, no playground, and way too many rules! It always felt a little military to me.I have met 3 other parents who pulled their child the same year and ow go to our school, for the same reason

Posted August 9, 2013

We have had all three of our children spend their elementary school years at SSA. I can honestly say that when my older two children graduated from 5th grade, I was sad that they had to leave and attend middleschool. I know that it's been challenging academically and through CARES there is an intentional process put into play to address the character qualities that every child should have as they grow towards maturity. We have had excellent teachers each year and for each one of our kids. We know there is no perfect school but this school has that "small town" feel of community. You can come in any time to help in the classroom and that is a blessing to have such an open door policy. We will miss Suncoast when our last one graduates. This school has been such a beautiful and prosperous experience for our kids both academically and socially. If you are looking for a close knit team of staff and community, This is a great choice.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

64 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 6%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8084 Hawkins Road