500 students|Sarasota

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My daughter is in her final year of Suncoast Academy and we wish there was a middle school to go on to! We have had a wonderful experience and wouldn't have chosen another school for all the world!! Our son just started his first year there and is loving it as much as his sister did. We have loved all of our teachers, all the administration (all the staff for that matter!!) and think the world of our principal!!

My gifted child was actively bullied out of the school by the principal, teacher and administrators who did not want to allow her to work at her level outside school and actively discouraged her reading. My child was made to feel there was something wrong with her, while unruly children of staff members were coddled and allowed to ruin the learning environment. The principal goes on social media and asks parents to post positive reviews here. The married principal also aggressively flirts with moms and behaves passive-aggressively is moms won't return his unwanted attention. If the things we were told in our tour were true, this would be a great school. When our child was enrolled the principal and teachers actively made fun of my family when we followed up on claims that were made in the tour and said we were unrealistic. We are grateful there are plenty of other options for our children away from these narcissistic, worn out, ineffective administrators.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My son's teacher later admitted that she didn't want to be teaching. Her true passion was to sell body wraps and work in a pyramid scheme. Great!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No. Children who are "easy" and go along with everything were treated well. Children who were curious, worked ahead, or cared about what was going on were treated as if they were disrespectful.

I'm so glad my child is not attending this school anymore. The principal and and some of the staff member are just plain rude. They simply do not care, and their only concern is to have good reviews. To my husband and I, those are the emotions we did not want our daughter learn, life is about challenges, compassion, learning and family! They have their own "clan" and do not allow new moms to be part of their "family". We moved, and now our child is happy and her development is amazing. She is now a full-time gifted child,when at Suncoast Academy she was labeled as a kid with "perhaps learning disabilities".

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The teachers are nice, but they need a good leader and more training. Children attend school to learn.

I pulled my child from a public elementary school in Sarasota County 3 years ago and placed said child at SSA and have been absolutely thrilled ever since! Each teacher and staff member are extremely caring and show so much concern for all of the children. My child has thrived ever since we made the switch and she finally found a place where she feels she belongs. There needs to be more schools like SSA. Thank you Sarasota Suncoast Academy for being such a shining light in Sarasota!!

Pulled my child due to common core. Placed gifted child in private school and found child was behind other kids who knew so much more. PV or private is a much better situation for a gifted child.

My experience was not a good one, and the principal, cares about no one but himself, and keeps teachers, who are just terrible. We had a horrible experience with a teacher, pulled our daughter mid-year, the principal did not want to even address the issue. As a matter of fact I was told by a teacher who longer works, there, that, he really didn't care about what the parents concerns are, and thought that some of them were over dramatic. We personally know of 5 families who have pulled their children from this school for very similar reasons. You can be the judge here, but I do not and would not recommend to anyone. PS- This school is not for the "gifted" . If your child is truly gifted there are district gifted schools who do a great job, challenging your child!

I can only speak for my husband and I. Our daughter is identified as full time gifted and attends SSA. SSA meets all her needs and more. Yes it is true that we could send her to PV or any other gifted program in the county but she is challenged and best of all HAPPY at SSA. Perhaps the previous poster does not enjoy the structure or rules but I would agree that SSA IS the absolute best elementary school in Sarasota County!

Last modified Sarasota Suncoast Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.