500 students|Sarasota

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Sarasota Suncoast Academy 5

Posted January 04, 2016
My daughter is in her final year of Suncoast Academy and we wish there was a middle school to go on to! We have had a wonderful experience and wouldn't have chosen another school for all the world!! Our son just started his first year there and is loving it as much as his sister did. We have loved all of our teachers, all the administration (all the staff for that matter!!) and think the world of our principal!!

Sarasota Suncoast Academy 1

Posted November 02, 2015
My gifted child was actively bullied out of the school by the principal, teacher and administrators who did not want to allow her to work at her level outside school and actively discouraged her reading. My child was made to feel there was something wrong with her, while unruly children of staff members were coddled and allowed to ruin the learning environment. The principal goes on social media and asks parents to post positive reviews here. The married principal also aggressively flirts with moms and behaves passive-aggressively is moms won't return his unwanted attention. If the things we were told in our tour were true, this would be a great school. When our child was enrolled the principal and teachers actively made fun of my family when we followed up on claims that were made in the tour and said we were unrealistic. We are grateful there are plenty of other options for our children away from these narcissistic, worn out, ineffective administrators.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted November 02, 2015
My son's teacher later admitted that she didn't want to be teaching. Her true passion was to sell body wraps and work in a pyramid scheme. Great!

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted November 02, 2015
No. Our son's work was far to easy for him but he was forced to constantly do busy work.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted November 02, 2015
No. The school expected absolute, unearned and undeserved respect from students even when adults were being ridiculous, but NEVER respected children.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted November 02, 2015
My child was actively abused by the administration. He was subjected to awkward meetings with no disciplinary or testing purpose.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 02, 2015
No. Children who are "easy" and go along with everything were treated well. Children who were curious, worked ahead, or cared about what was going on were treated as if they were disrespectful.

Sarasota Suncoast Academy 1

Posted August 26, 2015
I'm so glad my child is not attending this school anymore. The principal and and some of the staff member are just plain rude. They simply do not care, and their only concern is to have good reviews. To my husband and I, those are the emotions we did not want our daughter learn, life is about challenges, compassion, learning and family! They have their own "clan" and do not allow new moms to be part of their "family". We moved, and now our child is happy and her development is amazing. She is now a full-time gifted child,when at Suncoast Academy she was labeled as a kid with "perhaps learning disabilities".

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 26, 2015
The teachers are nice, but they need a good leader and more training. Children attend school to learn.

Sarasota Suncoast Academy 5

Posted January 08, 2015
I pulled my child from a public elementary school in Sarasota County 3 years ago and placed said child at SSA and have been absolutely thrilled ever since! Each teacher and staff member are extremely caring and show so much concern for all of the children. My child has thrived ever since we made the switch and she finally found a place where she feels she belongs. There needs to be more schools like SSA. Thank you Sarasota Suncoast Academy for being such a shining light in Sarasota!!

8084 Hawkins Road, Sarasota, FL  34241
Last modified Sarasota Suncoast Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.