St. Petersburg, FL

Perkins Elementary School 2

Posted January 16, 2015
For the first time my child has a public school teacher at this school that makes just going to class unpleasant. Lets be clear my child has been taught to be respectful to authority, which the teacher takes advantage of by making her feel bad or cry for the smallest infractions such as talking. The school district has a no bullying policy and it should apply to students as well as teachers near retirement who no longer teach concepts well and are disrespectful to students! The principal should be looking for these problems but he only seems to care about issues of interest to himself.
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 22, 2013
Perkins Elementary, St. Petersburg FL, is a fabulous arts magnet school where children are privileged to have more extra activities than at any other school in our system. Dance, drama, piano, t.v., production, art, vocal and instrumental music, Suzuki violin, Spanish, etc. They also have a super academic program and are highly rated in reading and math. I am employed as a substitute in this school and have my choice of teaching at huge numbers of schools in the county system. Perkins is almost an hour in drive time from my home, but I don't mind the trip because of the fabulous programs, good students, and excellent friendly staff members. I wish my own children would have had a school like this available when they were in the elementary grades. It's truly very special. Any kid would love attending classes here.

Perkins Elementary School 3

Posted November 30, 2012
As you can see a lot of the reviews for this school are older and were written before the new principal arrived in 2009. While everyone loved the old principal the new one seems to relentlessly pursue his own agendas regardless of other peoples opinions. Most of his issues are trivial matters and his attention could be used for more important ones. One example is there is a problem with neighborhood kids and bullying and the administration tries to ignore it(they do not report it outside the school) rather than deal with the behavior problems. The result is children are afraid while attending school. Instead they focus on how many ways they can reduce the number of allowed tardies which is already a reasonable amount. Especially when you take into account the public bus system has late arrivals almost everyday which do not count against the student. However, what makes it a better than average school is the parent involvement, curriculum, and most of the teachers are great.

Posted March 12, 2011
This is the MOST amazing school! When my child began going to this school, he had been diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Delay, NOS. He was barely speaking in the 1st grade, and when he did, it was impossible to understand him! Over the course of 5 years, and with all of the support of every staff member down to the cafeteria workers (lol) my son excelled to the point that no one meeting him could ever tell that he was ever diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum! He was mainstreamed from 1st grade on and progressed to making the honor roll or principals list every grading period from the 3rd grade all the way through the 5th grade! They care and they are smart passionate educators who will come to know your child individually and treat them accordingly. They work with the entire family and if one is fortunate enough to have the opportunity to have your child accepted to this program, you have effectively given your child the best academic start in Pinellas County! My son and I both miss this school with all of our hearts!

Posted March 19, 2009
I am pleased to inform everyone what a great school Perkins Elementary is. This is the first year my daughter attended a magnet school. She attended Mt. Vernon since Kindergarten and this is her last year of elementary schooling. I was fearful changing her school the last year but I wanted her to excel and she seemed complacent just getting Honor Roll. I became enthralled when my daughter recieved Principal's List her first grading period. The principal is inviting, social and eager to help. ALL the teachers are enthusiastic, friendly, professional and respected by the parents and their students! I have never experienced such dedication from any other school my other children attended. I have praised this school to all my friends, family and co workers. Keep up the exceptional work Perkins your the best in my book.

Posted June 29, 2007
The best thing I can say about Perkins is that my son thanks me often for letting him attend such a 'fun' school. Perkins makes learning fun, which sets the pace for their love of learning for the future. The teachers and students alike really enjoy being there. There is a great network of parent volunteers and you cannot beat the wonderful music, art, spanish, theatre, dance programs. Also, there is great gifted program and PE daily.

Posted May 03, 2007
A fantastic school with a dedicated staff, parent volunteers and kids who are learning in all ways possible. Lots of great Art, Dance, Drama, Music, Spanish and equally engaging academics, plus a wonderful gifted program.

Posted April 24, 2007
I could not have wished for a better school for both of my kids. Getting into Perkins is like winning the lottery. The principal and the teacher are so very nice, the program is perfect for elementary school, and we always felt very welcome. The arts and Spanish program is fantastic, and still the academics were well taught. Highly recommended!

Posted January 21, 2007
Every school should be like Perkins! The principal is fantastic! The teachers are like family! The children are happy, smiling, learning through hands on experience, and want to go to school! My child is sad when she misses a day, especially gifted day. The curriculum is absolutely wonderful, especially since they don't focus so much on the FCAT but rather on educating our children appropriately! Thank you, Perkins! Have you seen a curriculum that lets a child experience so many things? Along with the required classes,they also receive Spanish daily, art, music, violin & keyboarding, drama, computers, and dance. I am so happy that Perkins recognizes the need for P.E. daily. The parent involvement is super, top-notch. They have implemented a new magnet behavior plan this year to add for consistency. It is truly such a great, unbelievable atmosphere! My family is lucky to have won the lottery on this one!

Perkins Elementary School 4

Posted November 28, 2006
As we all may want our kids to attend a 'perfect' school, there is no such thing. Perkins is a very good school rich in areas such as extra curricular activities, parent involvement and discipline. This school does an excellent job with exposing our children to the 2nd most popular language of america; spanish. Being a school of the arts, perkins students must be able to multi-task, if not they will be totally lost at this school.

2205 18th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL  33712
Last modified Perkins Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Perkins Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top