Springwood Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 664 students

Posted October 31, 2013

I believe this school has potential and needs the help of not only the staff but parents as well. I feel that there are some wondeful and experienced teachers at this school. I also have never had a problem with office staff and they strike me as very down to earth and knowledgeable and concerned. I do feel that with the new leadership of Dr. Smalls and the new attitude and excitement they have adopted that this school has and will continue to prosper with the help of us all.

Posted October 15, 2013

I have two children at Springwood ES and this is the worst school they have ever attended! I am trying very hard to rezone them to get them out of this school. 1 out of 5 teachers has responded to my questions and concerns without me having to copy the principal to get a response. The general attitude and teacher to parent coomunication is horrible!! This school needs a thorough evaluation.

Posted March 7, 2013

My daughter has been a student as Springwood since kindergarden and she is now in the 5th grade. Over the years the school has gone downhill I am sad to say. I have found when I voice concerns about teachers I am met with excuses instead of ways we can make things better. There are some awesome teachers that really care about their students. Unfortunately, the teachers that don't seem to care out number the ones that are really trying to make a difference. The office staff is awefull too. One of the ladies that works in the front office actually has a teenage grandaughter that stays with her in the office all day. I think that is just crazy. Fortunately this is my daughter's last year at this school. I already moved her younger sister to a different school because it has gotten so bad there.

Posted June 28, 2012

The school needs to improve the teachers one on one interactions with the students, seems as though the interns spend more time teaching than the teachers. Front office staff could use some training on parent and student do's and don'ts, What happened to teachers that greet students with a smile and encouragement at the beginning of the day! Teachers who truly care about the students and have experience in educating as well as teaching are needed at Springwood. Hopefully a change will come soon!

Posted May 30, 2012

Less than impressed with this school. My childs best interest was not put first. This school could use a better principal and teachers. needless to say my child no longer goes here

Posted January 16, 2011

Less than impressed with leadership! Securing the students is last on the never ending list of improvements needed. Needless to say....I moved my child!! (Which was sad because we loved our teacher but had nothing but concerns with upper leadership)

Posted May 29, 2009

I really enjoy interacting with the school teachers and principal. The scholl is an excellent learning facility. I especially enjoy the time and caring that the two afterschool instructors display with the children. Chris and Matt are doing a great job.

Posted May 12, 2009

Springwood is doing a Great Work in the lives of our children! Lines of communication are wide open. I can see new hope and inspirationunder the guidance of our new leadership!

Posted January 20, 2009

I think it could still improve a great deal, starting with getting rid of the assistant principal there, but overall it's a great school. The teachers have all been A+ so far, and Principal Burgess is wonderful and always a delight. The school could get better, but is on its way to greatness!

Posted June 11, 2008

My daughter has gone to Springwood the past couple of years and we are extremely impressed. I absolutely love the principal..I think she is fantastic with motivation for the school. I do wish information on different things were sent home sooner. The current director and assistant director of afterschool are two of the best gentlemen you could meet. The are GREAT with the students and much more organized than the previous director. Having gone to Springwood myself when the school first opened and seeing how things are from my childs years there I believe they have carried on a fantastic tradition of excellence!

Posted February 10, 2006

I have two children at Springwood, both boys, both considered ADD. We have had good and bad teachers, but our overall experience has been good. I have volunteered regularly for the past 6 years. I don't have a good opinion of the current principal. I find some of the logistical procedures at the school redundant and useless. The afterschool program has gone downhill since the new principal has come to the school.

Posted January 12, 2006

Very solid educational facility. Excellent Speech and Learning Disability Centers. Caring teachers and administrators. We highly recommend Springwood Elementary.

Posted January 11, 2006

my son attended springwood for 2 years the teachers are great.kindergarten and first grade has the best teachers.And the staff is great too.whatever you need they will help you with it.we really miss springwood.

Posted August 19, 2005

This school is fantastic. My kids really enjoy going everyday.

Posted April 7, 2005

All in all, Springwood is not bad for a public school. I personally feel that there is far too much TV watching going on (especially during the so-called 'special areas' classes). We do not encourage television in our home...I do not want it encouraged at school. I will say, however, that I am impressed with the level on which the students are working.

Posted June 16, 2004

I believe this school needs better parent/teacher communication. Phone calls to teachers go unanswered and information sent home should be sent earlier, not the day of or only one day before.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

91 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3801 Fred George Road