No rating

Betton Hills Preparatory School

Private | PK-1 | 72 students

Our school is known for our excellence in early childhood education.

Living in Tallahassee

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $158,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted July 14, 2014

My daughter went there from vpk3 to some of vpk4 and I am so happy with the overall outcome. The teachers really do care and the teacher to student ratio is perfect. I had to take my daughter out because we moved and all the news schools I've been searching for doesn't come close to what betton hills offered. If you want an academic head start for your child then betton hills is the school.

Posted February 5, 2014

Betton Hills Preparatory School keeps open communication with parents. Parents and staff work together to help any student who may struggle in their learning environment. The school has a wealth of information to share with parents and provide interventions when necessary.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 8, 2013

My daughter go to this school. And I feel really comfortable her going to this school.

Posted October 31, 2013

Both my boys have gone to bettonhills since the begining of time. I have enjoyed growing with them through the years. I have always felt comfortable and secure with my childrens safety and well being and education while there. I've enjoyed every aspect and can't express enough how happy I am to have known the staff and families. I must say that this place will always have a special place in my heart because they truely make you feel like family and they are indeed ours.

Posted May 15, 2010

Great place for children to learn academics from Pre-K. They do participate in the Florida school readiness program. Great staff. Our child learned to read and write some words and do simple math even before kindergarten. We are very pleased.

Posted October 25, 2009

We recently enrolled our son in the VPK program after talking to some local residents. (We were new to the area). The feedback was good (even among teachers at other schools). It seems as if their reputation is justified. After only a couple of months he knows his letters, counting/simple math and is beginning to write. He keeps surprising me with new things that he learned. His coursework includes art, music and Spanish which I think is impressive for a pre-K program. The student body is diverse, which we wanted. I am quite pleased and I think it is a good choice for him.

Posted June 4, 2009

I have a son in PK3 and a daughter who just finished the voluntary PreK program at Betton Hills. It has been touted as the best PreK program in our area & I have no doubt about that. The entire staff is very caring and completely committed to each and every child there. My son & daughter have excelled not only academically, but socially as well. The learning environment is stimulating and fresh. The emphasis on music & the arts is so refreshing, given the lack of attention to those programs in the public schools.

Posted November 7, 2007

My daughter has been going to Betton Hills since Kindergarten, because of the arbitrary cut-off the state has for entrance into Kindergarten. I am impressed with the small setting and the way that all members of the faculty and staff, including the principal, take time to get to know each and every child personally. My daughter has excelled academically. She has been a challenge to both of the teachers she has had (she has some impulsivity issues), but no member of the staff has ever suggested medication to control her behavior. They are very open to interventions to promote good behavior which, as a behavioral therapist, I appreciate. I would highly recommend the school to anyone.

Posted October 24, 2006

I've had a child in Betton Hills since 2001 and my second child started last year. This is a small school but with big hearts. We feel save every morning when we drop them off, knowing that they will be cared for all day. We have been very impressed with the curriculum. Our kids vocabulary and overall knowledge has surpassed what we had expected. This is not just a school to teach subjects, this is a school to prepare the kids for a successful future.

Posted April 2, 2006

We recently shadowed our child at this school after having repeated bad experiences with a local Leon Co public school. We are so impressed with this school and plan to enroll our 3rd grader next year along with our younger children. It is priced fairly and affordable for the average working family. This school is small and warm and like going back in time 30 years. My child who is very advanced compared to his classmates in public school is about average there, so we definitely need to remove him from the craziness of the No Child Left Behind Policy and the FCAT. No chairs flying through the air, fights, or pencil stabbings at this school. Students screened before enrollment. Violence not tolerated and problem students expelled. Feels safe. Teachers have a captive audience and no major discipline problems to contend with while teaching.

Posted January 23, 2006

My child has learned alot from this well rounded curriculum. I have been very happy with the progress that is showing from Pre-K until 1st grade. Every year I have seen a wonderful perfomance done by the children that is very impressive. I do however feel they lack some quality in how to treat an ill child. I should not come to school at the end of the day to find out my child is sick enough not to be in the classroom since before lunch. This school pushes reading with the child nightly and assigns homework to be done with the help of an adult when needed as early as kindergarten.

Posted August 1, 2003

Betton Hills is a wonderful school. I have two children there and could not be more pleased. The theatre, music, art and spanish programs are top notch and the classroom teachers cannot be beat!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Hungarian, Indian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (850) 422-1369

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory

Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Early Learning Coalition

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis