Dunbar Elementary Magnet School

Public | K-5 | 229 students

Posted September 11, 2007

I put my daughter in Dunbar after hearing many good things about the staff and program. At the rate things are going, I may pull her out before Christmas. She has a teacher who apparantly cannot control the class. My wife visited last week and the kids were yelling and throwing things while she sat there, and the teacher didn't even say anything. It's bad, and the office doesn't seem to care.

Posted August 30, 2007

I removed my 4th grader from dunbar after last year. The teacher turnover has been terrible for the last few years. I think it's because of the principal. That's a shame, because dunbar was a great school when my son started 1st grade.

Posted August 16, 2007

Our son went to Miles elementary until 4th grade at which time we couldn't take it any more, we got him enrolled in the magnet system and chose Dunbar because of their science and math curriculum. At first the neighborhood sort of frightened us but as soon as we were 'welcomed' through the doors by ms Carson and her staff we have never looked back. What a great job the whole staff does to making u feel like a big family. ms Fortman, our sons fourth grade teacher was absolutely fantastic. she always has a positive attitude. she didn't wait until our son was going down hill to ask for a conference if he was getting c's she called. (even Sunday evening!

Posted March 23, 2007

The neighborhood Dunbar is in might not be as good as some other school neighborhood but never judge a book by it's cover. I went to Dunbar ever since 2NDgrade, now I am still at Dunbar in 5thgrade. My brother use to go to Dunbar but now he is in middle school. We both thinks this school is fabulous. The staffs at Dunbar is wonderful! The teachers are very funny, and caring. The specials teachers (music,P.E..etc) teaches you things that you can apply to the real world!Dunbar offers many fun things but educational at the same time too, for example clubs. Some of the clubs are the chess club and the recycling club! There is also a 5THgrade banquet. (A party for 5THgraders since they are graduating elementary school) Also Margareta Spellings, The Secretary of the United States visited Dunbar! Trust Me you won't be disappointed if your child(ren) attend Dunbar.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 18, 2006

I have watched with sadness this once very good school swiftly decline over the past couple of years as my children worked their way through. 'A fish rots from the head' is true at Dunbar. An outstanding principal was replaced by a very good one, but then she was replaced by another new principal who has alienated parents with very disappointing decisions followed by very poor communication. During these transitions, many of the best teachers have also transfered. My youngest is in 5th grade, where the teachers are still experienced and excellent. I wouldn't recommend Dunbar to someone starting out today, though.

Posted August 20, 2005

I wanted to take time to say that my son has recently begun attending Dunbar and he has made great strides. He's enthusiastic about school and his teacher Mrs. Gibbs. I visited the school last week and sat in his class. The staff were very courteous and helpful; I felt as if I've been associated with this school years. The teachers were very patient and attentive to the kids, even those who weren't following directions. All the children, amazingly, anticipated their 'quiet' reading time. I found this astonishing; my son is steadily making progress and the first quarter hasn't arrived. I'm really looking forward to what the future holds for my son and I at Dunbar Elementary! My son, only in the first grade, was explaining to me how the music, art, and sports instructors are very pleasant; 'Mommy they're great because they enjoy teaching us. I was impressed!!!!

Posted May 20, 2005

First I believe every good academic program start from the directive given to the staff as well as the teachers from the administration. Dunbar's administrative staff has a wonderful rapport with the parents. They are very active in meeting the needs of the student as well as addressing the concerns of the parents. It has been my experience that if you have any difficulty communicating with a teacher the administrative staff is always willing to intercede and acts as a liaison between the parents and teacher to resolve the concerns of both parties. Most of the teachers are giving excellent support to the children to ensure their academic success. Supplemental materials are always given to help with the current lesson. Additional feedback is given to parents on status of the children's progress. Dunbar is fortunate to have great teachers; it has been for the most part a wonderful experience for my children. I wish all the school in Hillsborough County were as successful as this one. KUDOS FOR DUNBAR!

Posted July 26, 2004

Excellent staff makes for an excellent school. Dunbar's math program is especially outstanding. Highly recommended.

Posted January 23, 2004

This is a wonderful school with an outstanding staff. My son attended this school from 1st grade, now he is in third and I continue to be amazed with the quality and diversity of this school.

Posted January 7, 2004

I am a former student that attended Dunbar and I think that it was a great school. I went there since 2nd grade. The teachers had good personalities and my parents got along with them very well besides a couple. Overall I enjoyed my time at Dunbar and am now an honnor roll student in the 6th grade at Williams Middle Magnet, which is also a good school. If you are thinking about going there then you are on the right track.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 7, 2004

My son has made an immense improvement in his math skills. His teacher provides support in more than just teaching; she has help improve his self esteem by focusing on positive attributes. He adores his 2nd grade teacher Ms. Van Name and he enjoys going to school. We moved to Brandon and live walking distance from another elementary school but he chooses to the take bus across town to continue his education at Dunbar.

Posted December 7, 2003

Perhaps the best public elementary school in Tampa. My daughter has attended since 1st grade and we've been very happy with our choice. The staff is especially outstanding.

Posted August 26, 2003

My child is no longer enrolled at Dunbar due to the lack of administrative responsibility. Our time spent there last year was a nightmare! We moved our son to another magnet and have never been happier!
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

44 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

44 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Ethnicity This school

• MS. SARAH JACOBSEN-CAPPS
Fax number
  • (813) 272-2254

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now