Channelside Academy Of Math And Science

Charter | K-7 | 400 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

We are so happy with Channelside Academy! I am impressed with the principal, teachers, and all of the supportive parents. Channelside Academy has a more "private school" feel and I really like that. The teachers strive to make learning fun and my girls look forward to attending everyday. Finding this school has been a true blessing!

Posted April 2, 2014

This school is awful they allow children to bully others and make racial slurs. My child gets made fun of for not apparent reason. The teachers say nothing and let the kids go on. I am taking my child out of here as soon as the year is up. The elementary school is a joke. They do not teach anything to prepare the children for major tests. They aren't even teaching on the curriculum. I would never recommend this school becasue its just been a nightmare. My child is always upset when she comes home and I have had enough. They need a new staff that actually cares about the children well being. I like nothing about this school and cant wait to take her out of there.

Posted March 28, 2014

I couldn't disagree more with the latest review that was posted. This "A" school sets the highest standards for their teachers and staff. I'm thankful that this school only allows the best and will not tolerate mediocre teaching. That is exactly why this school environment works for our family.

Posted March 28, 2014

I have elementary and middle school children that attend this school. The Principal and the Dean of Students are professional and very supportive of the students and parents. Channelside Academy is an exemplary example of an interactive school that connects fun and learning. Our children love the small classroom atmosphere and the quality of the teachers and staff. This school is top notch at challenging the development of young minds!

Posted March 23, 2014

As a parent of a student at Channelside Academy, I agree 100% with the review written on Sept. 28, 2013. We are left disappointed with the lack of rigor at a school that is supposed to focus on math and science. One thing to add; five teachers in our son's grade have been inexplicably replaced by January of this school year. Five. Additionally, teachers were rotated between course subjects. No explanation has been given to the parents, but it almost seems as if this school is a "try out" for aspiring teachers who have yet to find their specialty at the expens of our child's education. Our child is in middle school and I feel his experience at Channelside has done little to nothing to prepare him for high school.

Posted December 11, 2013

We are very pleased with Channelside! I find the staff very helpful and knowledgeable and all interactions with the school have been very positive! Our son has done great academically and is also participating in the band. I highly recommenced this school to all elementary and middle school parents!

Posted September 28, 2013

A great start with a very disappointing reality check 6 weeks into the school year. What happened to the days when children were sent home with books and materials for them to be able to succeed in school?? Daily tests without study guides or a text book to review? Classroom means of 68 or lower In Math and Science at a Math and Science school? REALLY? Who is monitoring these things? A lot of disappointed and confused parents this year!!

Posted September 27, 2013

We love Channelside Academy! I am in the top school district for our area but would not even think about sending our two daughters anywhere else. They have been thriving in this wonderful environment for the last two school years. I love the math and science focus, it has been great watching my girls learn so much. The teachers and the principal are all outstanding too!

Posted August 26, 2013

We were very excited to put our kids in this school, but the discipline methods used there are simply counter-productive. Instead of the "innocent until proven guilty" behavior method, they choose to start each week out with you at the bottom and you have to do certain things to achieve "rewards", like free play for the kindergartners. Speaking of, the kindergarten is run like a boot camp. I thought Kindergarten was supposed to be a kind, caring environment and we were given every expectation that it was going to be. Turned out to be the polar opposite. I'm pulling my kids at the first opportunity. To say I'm disappointed is an under-statement.

Posted August 14, 2013

Great teachers and superior leadership have made this such an awesome school you want you kids to stay in thru 8th grade:)

Posted June 1, 2013

This is a wonderful school with high expectations. Children are expected to behave and they are rewarded for their high achieving academics. The teachers are amazing and always willing to go above and beyond. I have two children that attend here and I am a very involved volunteer at this school. I know first hand how much the administration, teachers and staff care about the students here. I could not ask for a better place!

Posted May 30, 2013

I cannot say enough negative things about this "school". Chaotic environment, no classroom discipline, no rewards for positive achievement, no communication from staff, and bullying is endemic at this school. Our child's education came to a screeching halt once he attended Channelside. Not only are your concerns ignored by the teachers and principal but the director will also ignore you and just hope you go away. Would not recommend anyone attending this pathetic, unprofessional institution. Our experience was so terrible we had to remove our child this year. This is as bad as it gets. Awful, awful, awful.

Posted May 30, 2013

Coming to this school we heard great things about Channelside, and all of our expectations have been met. We are so pleased with the teachers and staff. The principal shows strong communication skills, and always go above and beyond. We love all the family events that go on, and can't wait for upcoming years at Channelside Academy!

Posted May 30, 2013

It is really sad to see such an untrue and unfounded review of our school and principal. We moved from NYC and it took us two years and disappointing schools until we found CAMS. Not only are the teachers very helpful and extremely communicative they are lead by a wonderful principal and staff. I believe this to such a degree that I have recommended this school to my friends and ushered them down there to see it for themselves. Everything has been planned out very well and nothing is unsafe (which was a very high concern/deal breaker to me before CAMS) I am comforted by the level of security at this school and I am there a lot volunteering so I do have some first hand knowledge of this. I also have delalt with the principal on several different occasions and have never seen her act in any other way than professional and caring. This poor review of her and the school was obviously written by a disgruntled parent who has some "mean girl" issue themselves. I understand that everyone has a right to an opinion but this one was so outlandish I had to respond with mine. PS: CAMS has a long waiting list of people clamoring to get in.

Posted May 30, 2013

I have experienced many different schools from Manhattan to Florida and none have come close in comparison to Channelside Academy of Math and Science (CAMS). As a owner of two companies myself, one of the first attributes I look for in a school for my child is it's leadership. Any organization needs a strong, caring leader to succeed. At CAMS, the principal is not only a well rounded educator, they are also a very caring and "hands-on" individual who makes themselves available to chat with the parents/students at any moment. Their approach to the education, security and welfare of its students is second to none. The hand-picked teachers are phenomenal and the course curriculum provides the proper balance of challenge and creativity... your child will not be bored. They also have a fantastic science lab with a 150 gallon salt water touch tank for the students and a well stocked computer lab. If you are looking for a top-notch school in Tampa that provides an engaging environment for both students and parents, and from my experience, whose level of education out shines any public or private school, Channelside Academy of Math and Science is most certainly worth a serious look.

Posted May 29, 2013

Wonderful best kept secret in downtown Tampa Bay Area..teachers are great, principal is awesome...would like to see more sports activity and not a lot of space so PE time/area is limited but that is minor compared to what the school has to offer academically..student/teacher ratio is terrific and field trips studies are second to none.

Posted February 18, 2013

Channelside Academy is an amazing charter school! I work downtown and I love how they welcome parents to come in during lunch and eat with their child. My son is finally being challenged and excited to learn. He absolutley loves the school, teachers and staff. I am very happy with the school overall!

Posted February 17, 2013

Great school! Very happy about their curriculum. Principal is always open and available to speak with a parent when needed! Great communication between parents and teachers!

Posted October 25, 2012

AWFUL experience. I sent my kids to this school because they were close to my job and I was impressed with their presentation and I had heard good things about charter schools. I was VERY disappointed, they were focused on FCATs (after stressing at the orientation meetings that they did not focus on FCATs) and one teacher even bribed my son's class with CASH if the students did well on the FCAT. Of course I complained to the principal who did nothing (they have a new principal now) but we are no longer at this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

21 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2010-2011.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2009-2010.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Asian N/A 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Gifted & talented

Clubs
  • National Honor Society
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Ms. Tiffani Richmond
Is there an application process?

Foreign languages taught

• Dance
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom