574 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

I am currently a 7th grader at Young, and I really like it. Most of the staff are really nice but still get stuff done. One of the only things I don't like are some of the kids here, some of them can be very mean and/or rude. Still, the kids who aren't mean are great. Our new principal changed things, but one of the things she changed for the better is the uniforms. Last year a some of the girls wore 3 inch long shorts and a lot of the guys sagged. Uniforms also cut down some of the teasing, so that's nice. Sometimes I feel like I really don't want to be at this school because some of the behaviors can get quite overwhelming. Overall though, I think Young is a pretty good school, considering the neighborhood, which isn't the best. I think that if you want to send your kid to a magnet school, Young is a good choice.

I am in 6th grade at Young Middle Magnet school. I enjoy the planting theme and all of the outdoor gardens. I am taking the agriculture elective and we get to plant in the greenhouse the rain garden and the outdoor hydroponic garden. I would recommend Young to anyone who is interested in how things grow. I was also able to help with Young's fair exhibit where we built and designed a city of the future out of legos. I love to draw and build. We just won first place for our exhibit.

I have two children at Young Middle Magnet in 6th and 8th grade. I am so appreciative of the education they are receiving at Young. Their teachers are wonderful and are committed to providing high level instruction. The theme lessons are teaching my children how to work with others to solve complex problems. I enjoy all of the family nights and other oppotunities for parents to get involved. The school is clean and welcoming. My 6th graders is able to take accellerated math courses so he can take Algebra in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade. My 8th grader is on Young's VEX robotics competition team. I would recommend Young to any family with children that love science and engineering.

as a former student it was an awesome experience to see how middle school REALLY is my 6th grade year was spectacular i love ALL the teachers i graduated 2012 and you had your mean kids but you will always have a friend the staff is funny and not that stirct but they are vbery serious when it comes to education the teachers are wonderful they educated me even if you dont have them they are still kind.....there werent many lock downs but like 2 or 3 but most were practice lockdowns the school is safe.....uniform is a GREAT idea because some kids took advantage of the no uniform last year the teachers are funny and sometimes serious but overall they helped me.....the IPS program is great and AVID was so cool... SCIENCE MATH L.A and READIND helped me a lot some of the teachers from 2011-2012 left the school i dont know who is taking there places the knew princeple is great guidance counceler helped my out a lot

As a parent of a former student at Young who has since graduated I am so impressed with how Young's program prepared my child for the IB high school they currently attend. My child has had no problem keeping up with classwork and meeting the challenges the IB high school program offers. While at Young, my child completed four high school level courses. I have to thank all of the teachers at Young for giving my child the tools to succeed in high school.

I have been a faculty member at Young Middle Magnet for about five years. I love working and teaching at Young. The smaller environment that magnet schools offer allows the faculty to get to know each student as an individual. We are very excited and energized about our new Creative Science theme...solving global problems and creating ways to make our world a better place! The kids are loving the theme and learning a great deal. I hear them talking about their classes quite a bit with excitement!

I have been teaching at Young for several years now and have really enjoyed my experiences here. The new magnet theme has brought very challenging and hands-on lessons for our students- always integrating science and promoting our theme. Additionally, we have excellent and different elective choices for students to take and multiple high school credit courses (in math, science, engineering and Spanish.) Teachers care about students and work hard to ensure their success. I would strongly recommend Young to others with middle school age children. With our academic/elective courses, talented athletic programs, participation in competitions (like Future City, Odyssey of the Mind, Math League, Science Olympiad) our students are given many varied opportunities.

I am a parent of a current student at Young. I think this is a great school with dedicated teachers and administrators. My daughter is a part of the STEM program, and once she leaves Young, she will have earned three high school credits. Young also provides ample alternative/extra practice courses for those students that require additional help in their course work. They have a class where students are able to complete their FLVS (Florida Virtual School) assignments, Young also offers tutorial classes during the day, and ELP (extra learning practice) during the school day for students as well. This school's mission is to ensure that ALL students are successful.

This is a horrible school and I wouldn't recommend sending your children here, nor would I recommend teaching here. You will regret it if you do and this is why: Uncleanliness The bathrooms are always filthy, the cafeteria also smells. Lunches have caused food poisoning to students and staff. Classrooms have mold while teachers and kids keep getting resperatory illnesses. Bad kids are out of control: Day after day of the same students terrorizing other students and teachers without consequence. Administration won't support teacher detentions or hold school detention because it is "Magnet". Teachers have documented endless interventions, only to be scorned and ridiculed by the principal. Absent Principal: The principal is rarely present. She will appear, make rigid demands only to disappear for days again. Non-existent academics: Young was an A for years. Since this administratino, it has dropped to a B, then a very low C. The 8th grade science teacher quit early on. Students have watched movies and hung out with various subs since. Science is FCAT tested in 8th grade and these students have had a whole year of no science instruction. I could go on and on .....

pros: excellent teachers and curriculum cons: clueless administration , students that seem to be in endless In school suspension instead of being expelled, weekly fights, resource officer never seems to be around and spends most of his day in the 8th grade building.

Last modified Young Middle Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.