Alonso High School

Public | 9-12 | 2499 students

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I'm in the 9th grade at Alonso High School I hhave worst experience ever it's not a good school. The student are disruptive and terrible and the teachers are bad I haven't learn anything. The school is not welcoming at all, the guidence counselor doesn't do anything if you have a personal problem with a class. This school is terrible in my words, I don't have joy in going to school anymore I'm always mad and frustrated when I have to wake up and go to this school. I constently want to go to sickles high school cause I feel like more of careful school. Mr. Schider is always stating argument with kids and is the mean and disrespectful person that works at the school. I hope you see my review cause this is the TRUTH!!

Posted Monday, September 15, 2014

When it comes to students with learning disabilities,The school is horrible and the way the kids behave thats another story in itself!

Posted September 7, 2014

My daughter is in 9th grade at Alonso this year and we both LOVE this school. The principal, teachers and administration seem to truly care about the students success. GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted August 25, 2014

The last review seems kind of ridiculous especially coming from a parent. I am sure it took you longer to write that review then it took for your child to get their schedule before school started. My son is an incoming freshman and I had no trouble getting his schedule maybe you asked the wrong person. I have done my research for the last 3yrs on all the schools in Tampa and live in Westchase. Every parent I know who's child goes to Alonso had nothing but positive things to say. I even had a parent who's child came from private school K-9th grade and he raved about Alonso and Mr Diaz the principal. There seems to be a lot of activities and programs for the students as well which I like. So far its only been a week but I am pleased with my choice to send my son to Alonso

Posted August 14, 2014

I have a child going into 12th grade and another transitioning from Middle School. My sons friends have been able to pick up their schedules for the year from school. Just driven up, asked and been handing them, at various, random times. I visited the school and was told that I couldn't have them, they are not printed, being changed and will be given out tomorrow at open house. I already explained my kids are 8 hours away, I work long distance and cannot be at the open house. Knowing that others already got their schedules just by randomly showing up at the school, this was unacceptable. No-one was waiting, how long would it have taken? I explained that other parents have theirs. I was then told that yes, they had been given out at various times. I was refused the schedules. Disappointing that kids needs are not a concern here. The first day at a new school needn't be this stressful.. My oldest has special needs that require a 504 plan. My youngest is making the transition to High School from Middle School. Having their schedules would have eased a lot of stress for them. I am not impressed at all and am reconsidering my school options going forward.

Posted August 13, 2014

I think that,out of all the high-schools in Hillsborough County, Alonso is the best! The teachers are actually helpful and you see everyone get along!

Posted March 4, 2014

To all those parents who voice negative opinions about Alonso High School, I wonder how involved you are with the school or do you even have a student at this school? I volunteer at the school and wonder why more parents don't take the time to be involved. Join the PTSA. Join the Booster Club. There are volunteer opportunities in high school. My teenager choose to attend this high school over several other very good options and has been very successful in academics and sports. The teachers and staff of this school helpful and seem to geniunely care about the students success in high school. I would highly recommend 'A'lonso High School.

Posted February 5, 2014

The previous comment is a GROSS exaggeration. The key is to be INVOLVED and get to know who your child's teachers are, and if you're not happy - do something about it! The principal Mr Diaz, is a great leader. My son is a junior and has had some AMAZING teachers who have made a HUGE difference in his success in school, including this year. Fights are going to happen, but daily is very misleading. NO school is perfect - including Sickles.

Posted January 2, 2012

I have a 9th grade son involved with football and honors classes at Alonso HS. We have been impressed so far with the teachers and coaches. I have found that all of his teachers are more than willing to assist with his academic needs and have been timely with returning communication via Edline. The sports programs seem competitive and well coached. The school is very diverse but it seems to work. My son will tell you that he enjoys school and has found friends fairly easily. I'm sure Alonso struggles with issues as all high schools do, but I wish more of the area students would give this school a try before prematurely bailing out on it for private school. They may be wasting their money.

Posted June 10, 2011

Let's get an up-to-date review, shall we? Sophomore in the year of 11. The past reviews are unrealistic, as if it's either a flawlessly amazing school or a terrible prison for teenagers. It's not amazing but not painful. Not all the kids are sweeter than sugar cookies or more bitter than coffee, some are, but there's a pretty good mix of personalities and types, anyone could find a friend. Most of the teachers are alright, friendly, but some obviously cannot handle a class without shouting. I will not mention a name but one particular teacher got a bad group of kids for a class I was in, and took to yelling at them every single day, denying them going to the bathroom, things like that. Others are a bit too passive, however, saying nothing most of the class. The principal and assistant principals are usually good with big obvious school rule violations, but seem to do little when individuals ask for help. I personally love the school, mainly for the social aspects, but there is always room for improvement.

Posted October 2, 2009

school is amazing, it helps kids both in and out of the classroom

Posted September 12, 2009

glad alonso gave us edline,,,keeps teachers and students accountable....i really like t he school...2 boys and they are getting a great education......good school spirit

Posted September 11, 2009

I have two boys at Alonso and I could not be happier with this school. I have never been impressed with any other public school in Hillsborough County but Alonso is truly an 'A' rated school. From their academic program to their Sports program, it is a fantastic school, My son is on on the Football team and they require a 1 hour study hall before practice to ensure their athletes are on track with their grades. Excellent program! I would recommend Alonso to anyone! Thanks to all the school staff for caring for these students.

Posted May 12, 2009

Excellent School, the faculty has the best intentions and good will to teach the students. My daughter loves Alonso High School, she is sad she is graduating this year (2009). She will leave good friends and teacher that she loves. She always will remember all the good times she had at Alonso High the good friendship .

Posted May 11, 2009

The teachers, faculty and leadership (Principal) have treated my daughter with respect. This is my daughters last year (2009) at Alonso High School, she has developed wonderful friendships with many students, faculty members and leaders. As parents, we thank the faculty for preparing our daughter for the next stage in her life. We will visit and continue to volunteer our time to this great program.

Posted February 16, 2009

To all those parents who have negative views about Alonso High School, I wonder how involved they are with the school? I am a parent who volunteers at the school quite often and I wonder why parents think that once their children are out of elementary do they think their kids don't need their input anymore. I think that what the kids and staff at Alonso bring to their school is an atmosphere where learning is encouraged, not only for college but for life. I have one child who graduated and one who is just starting out and while they both had growing pains the atmosphere at Alonso has and is helping them both to be successful in whatever they choose to be. Oh and by the way, Alonso is also an A school!!

Posted December 29, 2008

I graduated at alonso back in 07, i think alonso hs is great, a big variety of extra curricular activities, nice and smart teachers and very tolerant administrators, rotc fantastic, in alonso high school the best memories of my life took place, i wnet to gaither for about 6 months and not even close to alonso, beautiful campus, now taht i m back in my country(italy) i tahnk god i had the chance to attend such a great school. Thank you

Posted November 5, 2008

There is fighting amongst the students of this school constantly, they have no respect for each other, of the campus, or of the administration, and there is no one to crack down on it.

Posted October 6, 2008

I am currently a Sophomore here at Alonso ('11 babay!) and from my experience here, I've really liked it. The administration can be very strict and quick to jump to jump to conclusions but other than that, the teachers are doing their job to the best of their ability and the student is extremely diverse. Whats great about the student body? Well, lets just say that the teachers aren't the only ones who teach ;). Alonso is a fantastic school, but it does have it's drawbacks. Schedule changes once every nine weeks?? Why? While the admin. can be unorganized often, they still keep everything running.

Posted September 4, 2008

im a current student here at alonso and enjoying my time here weirdly. freshman '08 :) but one thing i wanna stress to the school board is why is there an exact zone to a certain school? im giving alonso its props cause they deserve it. my choice for a school is sickles but the 'zones' wont let me go. alonso is a good school, alonso is a great school, Alonso is an 'A' school but i still want to know why they will NOT let me attend sickles. i recomend alonso to everyone cause of athletics and teachers and staff etc. i have friends who are faking adresses just to attend different schools cause of the zones!!!!! it needs to change. fast. but overall alonso is koool dude :D

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

609 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

671 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

651 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

596 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

347 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

648 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

628 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

539 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

• MR. LOU DIAZ
Fax number
  • (813) 356-1529

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Apply now