Villages Charter School

Charter | PK-12 | 2674 students

Posted May 22, 2014

I am a student at VHS and have been attending this school since kindergarten. It may be the only school that I've been at but if given the choice to go somewhere else I would not. It is an amazing school with an amazing staff and student body. The teachers stay by yourside and do everything they can to help you succeed. The students (all though we are teenagers ) are on their best behavior and show respect that you wouldn't normally see in a high school. There are rarely any fights on school ground. Cops are rarely called. If you are interested in bringing your kid here I strongly recommend it. Though there is a lot of requirements I believe it is a small sacrifice in return of giving your child a great school experience and to have a successful outcome :) it really is a great school and that's coming from the student who has to wear the uniforms everyday and be with the staff everyday.

Posted March 24, 2014

I could not disagree more with the negative comments...but I do understand everyone has their own experiences and therefore I can only judge based on my own. Both my son's ages Kinder and 3rd grade LOVE this school, and so do I. My older son struggled since Kinder and I never found the support that I have here. I got a job in The Villages expressly so that my children could come here. I have found nothing but organization and compassion for the students. I love the administration - they take their jobs VERY seriously. The Guidance counselors are all knowledgeable and approachable. Both my children LOVE coming to school everyday...no "stomachaches" or "I don't feel good", There are a slew of different intervention programs that the school implements to assist students with difficulties. If you are a parent that says the school doesn't help you - then you weren't asking. You can't get help, OR act as if you don't know what is going on. You have to understand that without your involvement the problem will never go away by itself! I have access to Websites that have the curriculum they are doing in class that I can reference. Tons of resources for parents!!!! Boo naysayers!GO BUFFALO!

Posted February 6, 2014

This school is a perfect example of how the education system fails our children. My child has add ended this school since kindergarten. Unfortunately I have had to teach him everything at home. They proudly claim that reading is their number 1 priority (hence the reason they rarely teach the other subjects). However, for my son to be on grade level in reading I have has to teach him at home, every night since kindergarten. It's sad how many people can be fooled by pretty things and a smile. As a teacher in a public school, if I required my parents to do as much work as the charter school requires, I simply wouldn't have a job. My students would ALL fail. The aftercare programs are grossly overpriced for what you get. $50 every quarter for your child to sit in a room full of Legos or $180 for violin lessons (3 students to 1 teacher). It's simply a facade. 100% graduation rate? And exactly how many ese, esol, low income or racial variety so they have? Ah yes, the magic numbers do not lie. Lets not forget that they have unlimited resources and SHOULD be able to do better for ALL students, not just average white high income children.

Posted January 23, 2014

We have 4 students that have or currently do attend the VCS system and it's a stellar choice in comparison to the schools that surround this area. THey spend more money per student here than anywhere in the state (beautiful grounds) The complaints I have read are based on the school's rigorous disciplinary, dress, and conduct code, which are absent in other schools in the area. THEY HAVE HIGH STANDARDS so if you aren't into having a child that is goal-oriented and more proficient that required by the state, don't have them attend here. PERIOD. Parents MUST be involved and be employed directly by "The Villages" so check into that before you seek employment. Also, you must volunteer 20hrs per year for each student - check the website. Excellent culinary program and the dance program is award-winning (google it) Since we moved here in 2008, they have built a new Preschool which opened 2012, a new structure for the 4-5th graders opened 2013, and a new wing for the 1st graders opened 2013 also. All to accommodate the growth of the student body. Staff is superior.... all set the "golden standard" - Definitely exceeds the state standard on all levels. Not in any way lacking.

Posted January 9, 2014

Terrible, they break ALL of the rules for being a charter school, for instance a TRUE charter school allows for students to be interviewed and apply, so yeah in other words it is essentially a private school without cost! Great right? :.......well unfortunately our friends in old people Disney USA dont follow any of those rules, they ONLY and I repeat ONLY allow students to attend their "school" if their parents worl in the community known as the villages, like working in a small store in a giant mall. So in other words it is incredibly political and a terrible place . Also students WILL be kicked out if their parent or parents somehow (doesn't matter how ) lose their job in the community, like bam no warning, a sad example of this was one of the dancers at the school(golden girl) had a mother who worked in the community and father who could not, but she qualified for this so called public school because of her mothers employment, it saddens me to say that her mother passed due to illness(God rest her soul) and just two days after the school said "yeah your mom doesn't work here anymore so you have to leave our school.... truly terrible.

Posted December 25, 2013

My Daughter went to this school for two years and i was extremely disappointed .She made top grades but they only teach for the FCAT. Be careful of the ones that say the school is great .One should ask were they obtained their degree from .What I found was for the ones that spoke about the school being so great have really never seen a good school .Most come from a limited backgrounds and have never seen what else is available .Most think that the building is nice so it must be a good school. Look at were the previous graduates got accepted to and how many went on to advance degrees and also what they have accomplished . I found the only thing that is the main focus in "The Villages" is the retires .Children are treated like a disease and second class citizens .The employees that work for the villages are treated like "pool boys " by the employers and by the retirees . So if you are looking for an average school and want to be treated like a second class citizen you will love the villages.

Posted September 24, 2013

This school is wonderful! My kids are thriving and happy and this school has everything including the lastest tech and tools. The aftercare program is a life-saver for any family that wants the kids to do activities without being able to afford to miss work to get to a 4:30- soccer practice. It is a test-driven school, absolutely but they ALL are. NoChildLeftBehind and Core Curriculum made sure of that crap! But, they do not 'let' kids fail and they do not 'let' parents not be involved. All schools has faults, as does this one, but the education my 2 kids are getting is not lacking and is far better (seemingly) than the ones my friends' kids are getting in public (and one in very $$$ private) schools.

Posted September 9, 2013

This school is a "one size fits all" school. There is NO differentiated instruction. They send children home with homework that has not been explained. No notes or books accompany this homework. This school is a joke. It's all ambiance. This school is FCAT oriented not student oriented. One of the reasons I moved to Florida was because of THIS school. There are NO good schools in Florida so I plan on moving back to a state that have good schools. Don't be fooled by this school! The only good thing about this school is that they require parent involvement.

Posted August 22, 2013

This Villages Charter Schools have excelled in all areas. I have a student that is above average and they ensure that she is challenged. I have another student that has many needs and they have always been there to help do their best and communicate on a regular basis.

Posted August 22, 2013

I have three children that have all attended The Villages Charter School. The oldest has gone from pre-k to high school. The school has always made every attempt to accomodate any needs of the student. They are able to offer so much more to the students and my children have a great advantage. They offer a large variety of classes along with sports. Everything the school has is current and ensures the kids are prepared to transition into college or life after highschool.

Posted June 5, 2012

My child attended this school in 9th grade. She was having problems with bullying, and we tried over and over to get the staff & principles' attention about it. I am very furious how we were ignored after trying over and over. Just like every school, this school has problems. I have two children- one in 9th and the other in 11th. My 9th grader was having most of the problems, where as my 11th grader was starting to have problems during the end of the year. Most of the kids here were very stuck up and very rude. As a parent, I do NOT suggest this school!

Posted May 30, 2012

Elementary. My daughter has been here for 3rd and 4th grade. A very nice school with a caring staff , and a great after-care program with many fun learning activities. I am extremely happy with all the parent information they give. Most teachers seem to be passionate about their work. Some subjects were reduced to only once a week this year. I disagree with that. Music and language are much more important in our children's lives. Fitness is great but I think everyday is extreme. It would be nice to see more emphasis placed on education rather then overheating in 99 degree weather. Moving onto the 5th grade seems to be a smooth transition. I will miss being there at the elementary school.

Posted August 11, 2011

A review has not been done in quite sometime, so let me take this opportunity and say...This is my 6th year having my children attend TVCS and this will be the only school my children go to. I will continue to put in the hard work and effort it takes to be an involved parent and will love every second of it. As for people's opinons on the FCAT testing, my children missed 6 questions, total, between the both of them. If this learning establishment can lead my children to excellence, can push them not to pass, but to excel in their academics, I'm on board!! FCAT is NOT their only focus! The staff is wonderful and take great care of all of the children that walk through those doors. They have my full support! GO BUFFALO!!

Posted November 27, 2009

Although the campus is absolutely wonderful, there are a lot of flaws in the actual school its self. For instance, the FCAT scores is basically what the school is all about. Especially in middle school, where the stress is on during test season. They have a wide array of sports, though, which is cool. The food is pretty gross. I'm not gonna lie. I pack lunch because you can practically taste its frozen-ness. Also, there have simply been way too many principals in the middle school. When I went there I had a different principal every year. Dress code is not fun. I see kids get busted for the dumbest things- shirt untucked, no belt, whatever. Detentions are handed out like crazy. You have to be like an angel not to get one. O I mean, its a nice school, but there are lots of things that could make it better.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 15, 2009

Their academic schedule is top notch and students enjoy their school experience and most often go on to higher education.

Posted June 30, 2009

I have four children who attend and have for many years. The facility is beautiful. They offer great extra-curricular activities. However, the leadership is lacking. The middle school has had 5 principals in 8 years.

Posted April 25, 2009

To be honest, this school is'nt all it is made out to be. This year is my first year attending vhs, and, while i have made some very good friends, the overall experience has actually made me decide to switch schools this upcoming school year. The staff is biased, and the students will pick on anybody that does not 'fit in', so to speak. Some kids actually threw their trash, deliberately, at me and my friend. Though the academics at that school may be pristine, there is the matter of the kids that make up the population. I have to admit that i regret going to vhs this past year.

Posted October 22, 2008

I totally agree it is only an FCAT score school. The lack of opportunities for middle and high schoolers is inmense.

Posted October 13, 2008

My son has been going here since the schools first opened and I couldn't be happier. He is graduating this year and I will miss all the great teachers he has had over the past 8 years. The admin. staff is great also.

Posted September 11, 2008

THe school needs to warm up. They are only test( FCAT) oriented and the staff needs to show the happiness and enjoyment they have for being there.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

234 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

234 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

204 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

204 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

211 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

212 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

212 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

210 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

194 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

185 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

185 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

189 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

183 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

164 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

189 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

203 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

167 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

251 Buffalo Trl