Alexander W Dreyfoos Junior School Of The Arts

Public | 9-12 | 1337 students

Posted August 7, 2013

Seems to be a great school. Hoping for another good year for all new and returning students.

Posted June 13, 2013

My daughter graduated from Dreyfoos last year. She completed her first year at a prestigious Boston college and did excellent! Dreyfoos totally prepared my daughter for a vigorous program of study. She took many AP courses and was active in all the honor societies there. She told me that many of her college friends were having difficulty keeping up with their studies. These kids had gone to private northeast high schools! She loved Dreyfoos and visit whenever shhe's home. My only complaint is that the school lost an exceptional language teacher (through no fault of his) who inspired the students & was loved by all! Michael went on to accept a position at a local prestigious private high school.

Posted June 1, 2013

Hey everyone! Honestly I cried when I received the letter letting me know i was going to be part of the dreyfoos class of 2016. I went to bak in middle school and loved it so much. When i didn't get into dreyfoos i was devastated. For the past school year I have gone through hell and back. I have a serious white blood cell condition that allows me to contract illness's and miss school constantly. No less than one month in American heritage i was dubbed with having aids. Not because I acted slutty or anything like that. We must wear a uniform and i don't even wear makeup. Im also very shy so i don't talk to many guys in the first place! The entire year I was ignored in fear of "contracting" aids. People would even wipe the handles on the doors so they wouldn't catch my disese. Thankfully I kept all my friends that went to dreyfoos and I will see them again next year. God bless this school for allowing kids to be a bit quirky and accepted. I walked into school to check it out for a day and i was immediately welcomed. Please allow your child to audition here, even if they don't get in the first time.

Posted March 26, 2013

I am a parent of two students at Dreyfoos school of the Arts and I have been very happy with the quality of their education. The strings department has been awesome. The entire orchestra is going to New York for spring break and will be playing at Carnegie Hall. Where else would Carnegie Hall be part of the education. Also they have taken over 9 AP classes and I feel they both will be very prepared for college. Many of the students go on to very competitive colleges. I am happy that they are at Dreyfoos

Posted July 2, 2012

I had a pretty poor experience at Dreyfoos. The administration was rude and largely incompetent, it was very difficult to make friends, and the environment was cutthroat and competitive. I was disappointed with my art area because there were too many unmotivated students (which wasn't addressed by the arts teachers at all). I did enjoy the guest speakers, the flexibility with scheduling, some aspects of my art classes, and the opportunities to participate in a lot of clubs and honor societies. However, that didn't make up for the unwelcoming and inefficient nature of the school. I would not recommend it.

Posted October 24, 2011

I love the way the teachers appeal to the students imagination by assigning projects that broaden their artistic skills while teaching them about history, social studies, etc.

Posted June 8, 2011

Hi I need a greatschools for my daughters. We life in Dominican Republic but next year we will move to Miami. My daughters love music, dance. I will like to known if we can visit the school next month.

Posted April 12, 2011

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. My daughter also went to Bak and is a visual arts major. She is in ninth grade now and I think the school is exemplary. Unfortunately, we have to move to NJ and she won't get to go to 10-12 here. It breaks my heart to leave. If your daughter or son has a chance to go to this school JUMP ON IT. THE BEST school experience we have ever had.

Posted October 12, 2010

hi i'm really interested in going to dreyfoos for there theatre program because i want o be and actress and a director, but i've heard dreyfoos has drama, musical theatre and acting, which one is for monologues and film festivals? somene please help me.

Posted September 21, 2010

My son try to enter in this school and he could get in, because he needed some more points, but my appreciation, a what I heard from him, is that this is a wonderful school, with incredible opportunities. My little boy will love be there...

Posted November 7, 2009

My son came to this school from one of the top private middle schools in the county. This is a great school, particularly for out-of-the-box, creative kids. The campus is open and not built in that post-Colombine prison-lock-down style in which most new Palm Beach high schools are being constructed. Mrs. VanArsdale, the principal, sets a high bar academically along with the arts programs. The band program is a student Grammy winner. The concert and jazz bands and the classical orchestra are the best in Florida. In 2009 the school had a 100% graduation rate, and more than $18 million in scholarships. Students audition for entry and it is very competitive. With budget cutbacks in the Palm Beach School DIstrict, the number of 9th grade entry slots into band dropped to 27 in 2009 from somewhere in the 30s the years before. If your student gets in, they will love it.

Posted April 22, 2009

A beautiful school, like nothing i have ever experienced before, this school is like a summer camp, i look forward to coming and have no anxieties when coming here, i feel very very safe, and i have lots of fun.

Posted April 8, 2009

I go to Dreyfoos and i am graduating this year. Dreyfoos has opened so many doors of opportunity for me, and has paved the way for me to become the successful individual I now know myself to be. It is so safe, and creates a great safe haven, I would encourage any parent to send their child if they're able.

Posted March 5, 2009

I am not afraid when my son goes to school. It is a safe environment with lots of kids who really enjoy attending the school.

Posted January 26, 2009

i love my school and i am very pround

Posted January 25, 2009

This is an amazing school. It gives us students a way to express, build and exploit our artistic talent. All of the teachers understand this and work tirelessly with their students to ensure their success.

Posted October 1, 2008

What a great educational environment for kids. I have two boys in Dreyfoos. One a senior, and the other a sophmore, both theatre majors. The have both had a positive experience with their teachers and classes. They have learned alot in both academics and life lessons. Some lessons were easier than others...

Posted July 30, 2008

As a current student entering my Junior year at Dreyfoos as a theater major I am proud to say I am a part of this school. I came in lacking experience and confidence in many areas of my art and have grown immensely in the two years I have already experienced. The core curriculum is solid and I feel that most academic teachers are preparing us for the world to come but the greatest benefits come from the art teachers. After taking many state tests and reading and writing I can enter my theater classes expecting a dose of reality and another challenge. It is a pleasure knowing I have something to look forward to every day of my high school career.

Posted May 8, 2008

My youngest child is about to graduate from Dreyfoos and my older graduated a few years ago. Both had wonderful experiences. The school is a safe environment and the art and academic teachers - with very few exceptions - are outstanding! Funding to maintain the school's arts programs continues to be challenge. Know that the school needs your financial and volunteer support to maintain excellence in both the arts and academics.

Posted January 3, 2008

Dreyfoos is an overall good performing arts high school. The core curriculum is strong, the academic level is reasonably good and the yearly trips are culturally diverse. However, I can not believe they do not have private instructors assigned for each instrument. My daughter is a flute major and we had to find an instructor outside the school for her.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

340 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

323 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

319 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

332 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

405 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 12%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)