Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Barber Middle School 3

Posted April 14, 2016
I think that there could be a better mixture of course offerings. For example, there are no technology courses offered at this school. Also, Spanish is the only foreign language offered. There are no organized sports at this school. The student must go through North Cobb High School or a community league in order to participate in sports. The teachers are caring and do return parent questions in a timely manner. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 14, 2016
Ms. Zifer spent time before school just to ensure the kids could come for extra tutoring. My son's grade improved greatly.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted April 14, 2016
My son has homework just about every night, but hardly ever has homework on the weekend.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 17, 2015
Thank you Mr. Abel for pushing the students to do their best and making yourself available to help them achieve their best. Thank you to Ms. Zifer & Ms. Morrison for the extra time you put in with running club, boosting students confidence & health.

Barber Middle School 5

Posted November 17, 2015
We heard a lot of rumors and were very concerned about our son's transition to Barber Middle School. We have been pleasantly surprised. The office staff & campus officer have always been friendly & my son has not witnessed any bullying in his first year at Barber. My son's teachers are very dedicated and responsive. My son's math teacher, Mr. Abel, is ALWAYS at the school... no matter what time or event. I am impressed with how many teachers make themselves available before and after school for help. My son is excelling academically and enjoys being part of their superb music programs. He also participates in RSP & Running Club. Where else will you find teachers who volunteer to get up before 6:00 am on a Saturday to mentor & run alongside your student?

Grateful to: Parent

Posted October 20, 2015
A parent of a special needs student also had a similar experience with this school. This child was physically disabled and in a wheel chair. The student got angry one day and they put him in handcuffs! The kid cannot even get up and walk, but he was cuffed!!!

Barber Middle School 1

Posted October 20, 2015
I can describe my child’s experience with this school in one word—TRAUMATIZING. My son has autism, and was placed in co-taught classes; but the teachers, social worker and administration knew nothing about his disability or how to teach him. Rather than looking at ways to help him, they just wanted him out. Their focus was on making the environment so hostile and intimidating that I would have no other choice but to withdraw him. There was one incident that was so bad that my child just put his head down on the desk and started crying. This led to a nosebleed and instead of helping him they just let him sit there and bleed all over the desk; didn’t even give him a tissue. It got to the point that I didn’t feel my son was safe at that school, so I withdrew him. I decided to move to a MUCH better school district where they have teachers that are well trained and care about their students; and now my son is doing much better! If you have a kid with special needs, avoid this school if at all possible.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted October 20, 2015
Teachers have no education or training on how to work with kids that have special needs, yet they are hired as special ed teachers. I ended up giving them information on my son's disability and how to help him. This still didn't help. I can only assume they are indifferent and do not care.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted October 20, 2015
The faculty and staff at this school show no respect towards their students, and are not capable of teaching it either.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted October 20, 2015
They were hostile to me and my child. He was called names, harassed and bullied by the staff. I felt my child was not safe attending this school.

4222 Cantrell Rd Nw, Acworth, GA  30101
Last modified Barber Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.