Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This is a title-1 school in Cobb county so it's course offerings, schedule and often course load are dictated by the county. That being said, my son has been there for 2 years and we have been really pleased. All of the teachers seem to care and want the kids involved, the music, dance, fine arts program is extensive and their communication via technology is very helpful (each teacher has a blog and they update it every day - not just a forgotten page in cyberspace). They all focus on helping the kids learn organization and multi-tasking. Very pleased. I saw a poster complain that there weren't organized sports held at the school specifically and that is because in the state of GA middle school programs are run via the high schools. The city of Acworth also has a huge extensive football and basketball rec-league program that plays in the Barber middle school gym.

this is the worst school ever. My son went there for the 6th and 7th and 8th grade. the worst thing was a teacher named Coach Richardson. Instead of teaching all he would do is talk about thugs and how students won't be able to be succeed in the real world. But, there was one good thing. This one teacher named Laurie Caroll. She was so helpful to my child. She would care about the students and try her hardest to make them succeed.

This is a great school in a wonderful and safe community. There is a large involvement from the community, parents and teachers!

I think that there could be a better mixture of course offerings. For example, there are no technology courses offered at this school. Also, Spanish is the only foreign language offered. There are no organized sports at this school. The student must go through North Cobb High School or a community league in order to participate in sports. The teachers are caring and do return parent questions in a timely manner. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful.

Amount of homework: Agree

My son has homework just about every night, but hardly ever has homework on the weekend.

We heard a lot of rumors and were very concerned about our son's transition to Barber Middle School. We have been pleasantly surprised. The office staff & campus officer have always been friendly & my son has not witnessed any bullying in his first year at Barber. My son's teachers are very dedicated and responsive. My son's math teacher, Mr. Abel, is ALWAYS at the school... no matter what time or event. I am impressed with how many teachers make themselves available before and after school for help. My son is excelling academically and enjoys being part of their superb music programs. He also participates in RSP & Running Club. Where else will you find teachers who volunteer to get up before 6:00 am on a Saturday to mentor & run alongside your student?

I can describe my child’s experience with this school in one word—TRAUMATIZING. My son has autism, and was placed in co-taught classes; but the teachers, social worker and administration knew nothing about his disability or how to teach him. Rather than looking at ways to help him, they just wanted him out. Their focus was on making the environment so hostile and intimidating that I would have no other choice but to withdraw him. There was one incident that was so bad that my child just put his head down on the desk and started crying. This led to a nosebleed and instead of helping him they just let him sit there and bleed all over the desk; didn’t even give him a tissue. It got to the point that I didn’t feel my son was safe at that school, so I withdrew him. I decided to move to a MUCH better school district where they have teachers that are well trained and care about their students; and now my son is doing much better! If you have a kid with special needs, avoid this school if at all possible.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Teachers have no education or training on how to work with kids that have special needs, yet they are hired as special ed teachers. I ended up giving them information on my son's disability and how to help him. This still didn't help. I can only assume they are indifferent and do not care.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The faculty and staff are indifferent to children with disabilities and the challenges they face. They have no integrity, honest or sense of fairness; and therefore, are unable to develop that in their students.

The principal is the problem at this school. She doesn't care about the kids or the teachers. She doesn't listen or interact with parents; she's only concerned about her looks and appearance. She is defensive and aloof. She needs to step down asap.

Last modified Barber Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.