High Point Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted December 20, 2007

We have been at High Point for years. While the school is overcrowded, the classrooms are not. The ESOL children are taken out of the classroom for special instruction, leaving the all English speaking children with quite a low ratio teacher/child. As for fundraising, we do two a year: Sally Foster & Silent Auction. We have had teachers in each grade and I can tell you without exaggeration that our children have had the best of the best experiences in learning on all levels. The teachers were fabuluos even when the administration was not. Now, with Mrs. Nash we are fortunate to have great leadership leading some of the best and most dedicated teachers. Ultimately the education anyone's child receives, regardless of where they go to school is in direct correlation to how important the child's education is to their parent.

Posted December 19, 2007

Less than 3% of families living around High Point send their children there. That was the first clue. Our daughter transfered to High Point from a neighboring county and we were all unprepared for the level of disappointment. Specifically: the classrooms are overcrowded, more time has been spent translating than learning, the teachers are either brand new or ready to retire, and fundraisers are priority #1. I hope the redistricting in 2008 saves this school. Something needs to.

Posted September 12, 2007

We ve had children at Highpoint Elementary for some time now and I thought it would be worthwhile to write and voice my support for the teachers, administration staff and parents. I have found everyone at Highpoint, from the principal on down, to be hardworking and engaging. When I drop my kids off in the morning I leave knowing their best interest, both educationally and socially, is being looked after. I attribute a large part of mine and my children s positive experience to my better half s willingness to become involved in as much as Highpoint Elementary has to offer. As I watch her and the other committed parents, I have truly come to believe that parent involvement, with a positive attitude, is a key component to success at this level. I challenge any parent who reads these postings, including myself, to become more involved. In lieu of posting negative comments on a message board visit the school, talk to teachers and staff, join the PTA and find out how you can help.

Posted September 11, 2007

High Point is a wonderful school. The diversity at the school represents what Atlanta and this country is all about. The teachers are phenomenal whether brand new or old timers, they are focused on the children and truly WANT to TEACH. One teacher actually gave up a 100% paid scholarship in journalism at Georgia to pursue a career in teaching! One teacher is an EMT on weekends and one teacher just came from Iraq. These experiences and stories are wonderful for the children. As a parent of 6 children, 4 are at the school today so experience abounds with us at High Point. The administration is totally focused on the children with many having children at the school themselves! WE LOVE HIGH POINT!

Posted September 11, 2007

Highpoint is 59% Hispanic, with 80% free/reduced lunches, and growing at an amazing rate. With this demographic, what is being accomplished here is nothing short of miraculous! Read the reviews parents who are involved and committed love this school; parents who have issues with the demographics can t see beyond that personal blind spot. The staff, teachers and parents are building our future, struggling with realities no other school in this district has to face and they are winning! I ve been a HP Dad for 7 years now, and will be for at least 7 more. I ve seen the progress, and fully expect to continue to be wowed in the future. I m PROUD to be a part of this success story!

Posted September 8, 2007

This is our first year at HP and I would say so far it is a mixed bag. The teachers I have met are genuinely interested in the students and have several years of class experience, the diversity is students is great. However, the administration is troubling. Example: parents were recently told of an edict from the principal: we could not walk our young children into the school, that we had to drop off from the curb.

Posted August 30, 2007

High Point is truly an undiscovered gem! People that have not visited don't know what they are missing! The teachers & staff are first rate. They come from all around to work at High Point. A Happy Staff makes for a Happy Learning Environment. Most of my friends children go to private school. I wouldn't send my child to private school knowing that I have High Point as an option. The teachers have years of experience & those that are new come with exciting new ideas and a fresh perspective on teaching. Being in the education field myself, I understand the importance of mixing old & new ideas to make the learning environment fresh and exciting. An engaged student is a student that is learning! The Principal is available to answer any concerns that you might have. I would however, like to see more parent involvement on the volunteer side.

Posted August 30, 2007

One of the best judges of a school is the teachers themselves. One teacher recently confided in me that she's very happy to be teaching at High Point. After spending a few years teaching in Alpharetta, she moved to High Point to be closer to home. HP is the only school where the assistant principal and principal came to her and asked what she needed to perform her job better. She really appreciated their offers to help in any way possible. I'm so happy that my child attends school where the administration and teachers work together for the good of the students.

Posted August 30, 2007

Highpoint is a great school. Our family has had a positive experience across the board. The teachers communicate with us on a regular basis. Our needs and concerns have always been address. And our kids are working at an above average grade level. If you want to really get to know Highpoint, get involved. Be a part of the solution instead of perpetualting problems. We as parent have the greatest influence on our children. We need to support the teachers and raise children to respect and admire the teachers and staff that give so much of themselves to enrich the students' lives. If you spend any time at the school you would see this supportive, learining evniroment. Get involved and form you own opinion rather than accepting the opinion of others

Posted August 16, 2007

Any parent who does not give this school at least four stars has not spent any time on campus. A three million dollar addition has brought all the homerooms inside the main building and expanded the playground. The school has recieved distinguised status for the last three years and has been awarded the status of a Georgia School of Excellence. The administration is dedicated, enthusiastic and fair. The overwhelming majority of students and parents love this school. Don't make your decision about a school based on a few people with an axe to grind who are completely ill-informed and think that diversity is a bad thing. Visit the school and make your own decision. No school is a perfect fit for everyone whether it be public or private.

Posted August 9, 2007

Any parent who rates this school higher than one star has not spent any time on campus. The teachers are either new (no experience) or ready to retire (no motivation). The administration is fully aware of the problem and does *nothing*.

Posted June 26, 2007

My daughter started Kindergarten at Highpoint in the Fall of 2006. She loved being a part of Highpoint and looked forward to attending everyday. She thrived in the environment and was reading full sentences by December. I think her teachers Ms. Churchwell and Ms. E did a great job. As parents we are both involved with our daughter helping her with any work assigned and have always been involved with teaching her prior to her ever being in school. Parents and teachers should work hand in hand. It is our duty to guide our children and not just leave it up to teachers and other adults who are involved in our kids' lives. In response to the comments below about the Hispanic population; I think it is great for our children to be exposed to other cultures and languages besides their own. This is the society we live in. Accept it.

Posted June 25, 2007

My son is a 3rd grader who just attended his second year at High Point and we are greatly disappointed at this school's steady decline. Unfortunately, with public education, you do not always receive what you give. Teacher enthusiasm is great, but it is no substitute for actual teaching or a quality classroom environment. This school lacks both. As others have posted here, diversity can also be great, but this school has some serious problems. My son can learn Spanish in a Spanish class, and his early education shouldn't suffer because of this school's misguided sense of 'accommodation'. The administration is out of touch with the day to day educating of the children, and more worried about the next fundraiser.

Posted March 29, 2007

My daughter started first grade at High Point this year and I have mixed feelings about this school. Her teachers (Ms. Pitchford & Ms. Lambert) have done a great job and my duaghter's reading & math have improved dramatically over the course of the year. The school has a huge percentage of Hispanic students, and the school seems to forget that no matter what the demographic, english is the spoken language in this country. They cater way too much to non-english speakers - to the detriment of the other kids. Also, High Point seems less like a school and more like a fund-raising foundation. They put a lot of pressure on these small children to sell things and get their parents to donate countless amounts of money, rather than focusing on education. I will be sending my daughter to private school next year.

Posted January 22, 2007

Yes, the principal is on-site and is a cheerleader for her teaching staff but does a poor job of addressing safety and educational student issues and working with parents. Although we were fortunate with our teachers, on several occassions I overheard others belittling young children. In light of these experiences we had and observed, to counter another review, I feel that children will find friends anywhere; this is not a reasonable criterion for a good school. Overall, I would not recommend it.

Posted November 13, 2006

This school is overcrowded and little playground. Teacher's are of a high standard however proncipal seems to be more concerned footware of teachers than student progress.

Posted August 23, 2006

High Point is a wonderful school with great teachers and a fabulous administration. I am confident that the education both of my children are receiving is as good as any available at any public school in the Atlanta area. I have been associated with High Point for many years and I have never seen any discipline problems that are not dealt with immediately. I never worry about the safety of my children while at school. Since Lisa Silverstien became Principal, High Point has been named a Georgia School of Excellence and received consecutive Distinguished School awards. Don't form an opinion solely based on what you read, visit the school and make the decision that is best for you and your children. Our experience has always exceeded our expectations.

Posted April 19, 2006

High Point is a once good school that has gotten a lot worse lately. As other people posted, many of the students are segregated into different classrooms to be politically correct. This is done with no regard to what the best situation is for the child or parent only to make sure no one is offended. It is impossible to make friends for your child at the school if you are not fluent in Spanish. The main contention we have had with the school is that bullying and violence go uncorrected.

Posted November 9, 2005

I have a child who isn't leaps and bounds above what I know but apparently he is way ahead of the students around (who are still learning colors in Pre-K). I agree - the teachers are great but this administration rations out the kids that are from affluent neighborhoods so that there is an equal distribution of race. The language barrier is so bad I feel like I am in a foreign country. Even if my child makes friends (which is the case) I can't have them over because I cannot communicate to the parents. There aren't any friends to make in the same boat as we are in (not race - language and culture!) I am all about diversity (why we wanted our child to go here) but this is ridiculous! Not sure the quality of education yet but the politically correct policies here really have me put off.

Posted August 9, 2005

We have been at High Point Elementary for seven years. I have three children who have been educated there. My husband and I have graduate degrees and yet we decided that this was the best place for our children. Over the years, although the administration has changed, the children have received an amazing education. The teachers do a great job, care about the kids and set the bar high for them. Since Ms. Silverstein came, the teachers are happier. She is almost always on-site, and manages the school by walking around. She makes sure that the teachers do their jobs and rewards them well for a job well done. The music program is TOPS, with gifted instructors really helping the children learn, the group of parents is great! High Point School is a treasure! We are very pleased with our decision to educate our children there -- we strongly recommend it!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

106 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

• Lisa Nash
Fax number
  • (404) 847-3294

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now