Cooper Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 950 students

Orchestra and band programs

Posted May 7, 2014

This school has the potential to be a GREAT school. There are many things standing in the way. Many of the teachers are devoted to the students, but a large number are there simply to collect a check. I've witnessed the students being yelled at, I agree with a previous post. The principal talks the talk but fails at walking the walk. Hopefully they can get their act together before my son has graduated from here.

Posted January 23, 2014

We have had an EXCELLENT experience at Cooper! My son's educational foundation started at a Public Charter school and Cooper has been able to challenge him over the past 3 years (6-8 grades). He has participated in Advanced Content courses in Math, Science and English all three years. They have added a STEM course to the curriculum and my son Loves it! He has been all A or AB Honor Roll all three years and is a member of the Beta Club. Cooper is working to become a STEM certified school, but it also emphasis Arts; therefore they are naming the program STEAM!! Cooper exceeded our expectation and Vanessa Watkins has rose to the occasion as principal for the last three years by encouraging more staff members to become Advanced Content certified and being transparent with parents (i.e.- monthly Chat and Chew meetings with the Principal). Johnson Family

Posted January 8, 2014

I attended Cooper Middle School for my 6th-8th grade year. The children there are wannabe ghetto and that prevented good learning. Some of the teachers could care less about teaching. I really wish I hadn't wasted three years there. It has its good points but the bad out weigh the good.

Posted December 11, 2013

Initially I was apprehensive about my child attending Cooper Middle School. Nevertheless I couldn't afford private education. My child attended the mini summer camp,an overview of the upcoming school year. I was very impressed and Dr. Anderson took the time to notice my sons potential! I still remained guarded, after all that was only summer camp! Of course luck fell in my lap-not good luck. MY son was bullied by one of his peers and I saw red! Prior to speaking with administration-I had my mind made up to withdraw my son from the school! To my surprise ,administration handled it before God had the news! They were very professional and diffused the situation before it turned into a fire. My son continues to excel academically and receive great support from his AC. teachers. They empowered him and his challenges grew into positive motivation by building on his strengths! DR. Porter, Mr. Caldwell , Mrs Sumlin, Mrs. Mickus ad well as the literacy teachers are phenomenal! Many thanks lolthey continue to be supportive even though I flood their emails!oh did I mention that my son is in Beta Club Science Olympiad the STEM program! #sohappyhesatcooper

Posted May 22, 2013

My daughter came late in the school year and initially we did have some hiccups. I must say the Principle and the 6th grade Administrator does really care about the students at Cooper Middle. I am very impressed with the various programs available at this school. My daughter loved her Math teacher Mrs. Moore who goes of her way to make sure kids understand math. Don't believe all the bad reviews regarding this school. Their is negative issues in every school. I attended the awards ceremony yesterday and watched kids from 6th and 7th grade receive numerous awards in their academics which goes to show you that kids are thriving at Cooper Middle.

Posted March 12, 2013

The principal herself must have sent the last three reviews. I had my child at the school last year and I found he principal to be a micro managing bully. As a parent I saw her unprofessionally treat members of her staff badly( talking down at them). My child and many of his friends did not like the principal and the way she treated them. As the school year went on, the school behavior problems got worse and worse. There were some good people at the school but they were over shadowed by the over all group of staff members that did not have the patience, nor care genuinely for the concerns of the students. It was one of the worst situations I ever saw as a parent. The principal seemed concerned with her own self image and tried to be a tough talker to the students. Like tough love. Just without the the love part. What was said and what was done around the school were 2 different things. What you saw on the surface was not the true about the school. Kids now days can tell a fake when they see one. If you want to really know about the school, ask the kids in the neighborhood who attend there. When my child was there, they had an excellent PTA president. The Principal got rid of her.

Posted April 23, 2012

Cooper Middle School is devoted to students. The teachers are very passionate about what they do and most volunteer their time to help students expand their knowledge and interests. The Fine Arts department which comprises of Band, Chorus, Orchestra, and Visual Art is one of the best and students regularly place in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd positions when in competition. The school also offers FREE busing for students interested in one of the 30 clubs that are volunteered by faculty members. Over 12% of the school population is involved in clubs. The number of faculty members at CMS with at least a Master s degree surpasses that of both the district and the state of Georgia. Cooper Middle School has met AYP for the past three years and is on track to meet AYP for this school year. The school recognizes student achievement by hosting quarterly academic assemblies, and monthly student breakfasts. Overall, this is a phenomenal place to learn and the faculty is happy and excited to be here. The school leadership of new principal Dr. Watkins is amazing and she widely respected and admired by the faculty, students, and the community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 30, 2012

At Cooper Middle School the word "change" is evident. The new principal - Dr. Watkins exemplifies transformational leadership. There are excellent teachers throughout the school - from academics to orchestra. Let me say also the band and orchestra programs are one of the best in the county! Parent involvement is directly related to student success - Cooper's PTSA, Student Council and Cooper Foundation are some of the vehicles driving parent engagement. Great things are happening at Cooper. Dr. Watkins is passionate about students having equal access to a quality education. She has raised the expectation bar for all.

Posted February 29, 2012

Even though Cooper is looked upon as a bad school to those who havn't even step foot in the school i think now that uniforms have been placed and the excellent new principle Dr. Watkins and the very surprising turn over of the PTSA, Cooper is on its way to a school of excellence. I think all Cooper needs is a chance and mor parent invovle ment i look forward to my daughters last 2 years here .

Posted April 22, 2009

Cooper Middle suffers from weak leadership, many teachers who aren't passionate about their jobs and poor quality teaching. If you have other school options, consider those options before going to Cooper. I wish I would have. Thank goodness my child has a few more weeks before we're done with Cooper Middle.

Posted March 25, 2009

I feel that it takes everyone being involved in order to make any school truly successful, but there are teachers who don't care not doing their jobs and not being held accountable. If there are discipline problems there need to policies set in place and enforced to handle it so that it doesn't continue. I do my job as a parent and the teachers needs to do their job and as long as we act like it don't exist and there is nothing being done about it they are sitting there in these classes basically collecting a paycheck. There are kids who want to learn and teachers who are not controlling the classes and the kids that are causing problems needs to be disciplined they do it in other schools and it works.

Posted March 14, 2009

I think that Cooper is a good school because I understand all the material given to me and always get A's and B's. Even though there are some kids who act dumb, it doesn't mean it's a bad school. I also feel safe there, sure there are some fights but I feel that it is a safe environment where I can state my opinion.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 24, 2008

I have had 2 children attend Cooper. I have found that the administration is lacking and this has been the same with both principals. Most of the teachers tend to be uninvolved and when certain occasions have arisen, meeting with the principal or other administration have been very difficult. No one is available when you need them. Voicemails go unanswered. Only a small handfull of teachers use the blogs and keeping up with IParent is inconsistent. Communication with teachers is mostly parent-initiated. I feel this school could improve on many fronts. We have been very unhappy. One good thing I can comment on is the music program is very good.

Posted July 20, 2008

My son has attended Copper for two yrs (6-8), the teachers in his sections for the past two yrs have been helpful toward his education and communicate whenever there is a concern or problem. There are monthly meetings at the school to keep parents educated about the curriculum and tools they can use to help their son/daughter. There are fights at Copper just like with any school but my son doesn't get involved. In the future I wish to see more extracurricular activities. Remember, with any school it takes parent involvement to make it the best it can be.

Posted June 30, 2008

BTW, The school hadn't passed AYP a few times. I know at least two in the last three/four years were due to low testing results in Special Education. The school passed in flying colors in all other areas. In fact reading and math scores have been on the rise since the new leadership. The Lesson: look at the whole, not the parts before you assume!

Posted May 28, 2008

The fresh, new principal that the Feb. 16, 2008 refers to knows little about what goes on in Cooper. The principal before her held a docorate and must have kept up with teachers such as Feb. 16th post who was not doing her job. The disipline there is not applied evenly. The administration and staff are either catering to or are afraid of some of the students and their parents. The teachrs who were there 6 years ago were good, but the newer ones are pathetic. This school has not passed AYP since the fresh, new principal has been in charge. I could say a lot more, but will not. I recommend that you send your child somewhere else. I am happy that mine will no longer have to attend Cooper.

Posted May 28, 2008

I am a parent of a rising 7th grader at Cooper Middle School. I am very pleased with the school and with the staff. I also volunteer weekly in the front office. I think that the school would be a better place if there was more parent involement. We tend to have a lot of parents who think that the teachers are there to raise their kids along with teach them. My son is doing better in his classes thanks to the communication that I have with the teachers. My son is in a program call project hope which is a looping program where he will have the same teachers throughout middle school, which is something that I am loving.

Posted February 16, 2008

I am in my fifth year of employment at CMS. While it is true the first two years were under a rigid and often times unforgiving administration, a fresh, new principal brought a much needed sense of community to both students and staff in 2005. I am in a position to observe students daily and the amount of progress I have seen in areas such as scholarship, morale, and determination to succeed from students, teachers and parents has increased two fold. Administrators, teachers and support staff constantly collaberate to improve instruction with a sincere desire to offer each student an opportunity to be his/her best regardless of circumstance. I have witnessed a complete shift in focus from one boarding on superficial imagery to a sincere and dedicated loyalty to educate our children - our future.

Posted January 24, 2008

We are now moving, I have to take my child out of Cooper Middle, But while my child attended the school, she was very happy and I have never had any problems from any one there, everyone has always been very helpful

Posted August 8, 2007

I think that Cooper is a great school. The teachers and administration work very hard but their efforts seem to go unnoticed.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

332 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

316 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

338 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

297 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

296 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

305 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

309 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

278 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Title I Distinguished School (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

• 9:15 am
School end time
  • 4:15 pm
  • Dr. Vanessa C. Watkins
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Chick Fil A
  • Colonial Pipeline
  • Publix
  • Ewing Road Baptist Church

Sports

Boys sports
  • Jr. league at high school
Girls sports
  • Jr. leagues at high school

Arts & music

• None
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Beta Club
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Cooking club
  • Dance club
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Foundation
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Middle school

Finding the right school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
McEachern High School