Public charter
Dunwoody, GA

Posted June 03, 2014
What I have seen of my grandson's work and homework is just wonderful. He always has things to say about his day. His parents are excited about the school. They do a lot with his class. I have been to the school and feel that it is a safe and warm environment. They all are happy, which makes me happy!

Posted April 28, 2014
Chesnut is a class act charter school! One of the best Dekalb Co has to offer. The teachers and other professionals there know my son by name and make me feel so at ease when we are on campus. My 10 year old is a 4th grader who loves his school. He is bummed that he will only be able to attend one more year there before going to middle school.

Posted June 26, 2013
Here are the things to know about Chesnut. It's diverse and, yes, that's the real world. That's scary for many families in Dunwoody and some seek to send their kids to Austin in Vanderlyn where there is very little diversity. As is sometimes the case, academic performance can correlate with socio-economic demographics and because Chesnut has a disproportionate number of apartment families with sometimes lower incomes-- overall test scores are sometimes below the other schools in the zone. If you are an involved parent, your child will learn as much and score as high as any other school in the zone. If you are not, your child will not...as they would not anywhere. Aside from that datapoint, Chesnut is a real family, a very small community (only 475 seats compared to nearly double at DES, and NO TRAILERS!) with a loving and committed staff. You could do FAR worse in Dunwoody, even if you end up at the platinum-labeled Austin or Vanderlyn. Schools are more than testing, they're more than reputations. At Chesnut, the administration focuses on that and that helps many kids flourish.

Posted October 28, 2012
We are new to Dunwoody and we love Chesnut! The parent and community involvement is great and we love the environmental stewardship of the ecology club and the Wellness Committee. We hope that the school garden and outdoor classroom will be utilized by more teachers because it is such a great idea. The educational offerings are good and the Discovery program is great. Chesnut is a secret gem in Dunwoody. Do not pay attention to the test scores--this is a great school!

Posted August 17, 2012
Based on Dekalb county s school ratings and School Digger s rating, I am very apprehensive about sending my son to Chestnut for Kindergarten. In fact, we are looking to relocate so that we can be in Dunwoody s #1 rated elementary school. School started this past week and I had expectation of having to deal with unhappy staff and misbehaved children. Well, it s been a week since school started and I am overwhelmed with the great impressions I got from everyone from his teacher (Mr.C), the principal, all the way down to the lunch lady. The PTA members and Charter Council members seem to be very knowledgeable with a sincere interest in their child s and the school s life. Due to the school being a charter, parent involvement is required and it is apparent that the parents actually want to participate and not doing it because it s mandatory. In my opinion, parent involvement is what makes a school a great one. Chestnut Charter is a secret gem in Dunwoody! Don t be discouraged by the school s ratings.

Posted June 30, 2012
Wonderful experience, Mrs. Landis was a great 1st grade teacher. I am so happy my 4 year old will be attending this fall in the Pre-K class.

Posted October 16, 2011
We love Chestnut. Excellent and caring staff, and high parental involvement. Simply a wonderful environment and community. We moved from a neighboring school that scored a 10 on this website. I mention this only because it weighed heavily on our choice of school, and later we found it to be only a small factor, and one that actually backfired. Pay little attention to the 7 Chestnut is given. I have noticed no academic differences at Chestnut. There are always extras coming home in addition to homework as a challenge. I am grateful for a staff and PTA that focus more on the needs of the child than whether or not a child scores perfectly on a standardized test. Every member of Chestnut's staff we have interacted with have gone out of their way to show our child that they care.

Posted January 20, 2011
I absolutely love this school! I have encountered a few elementary schools and I had finally found the one when I found Chestnut. Dr. Reid is very approachable and kind. He speaks to everybody and makes you feel right at home. I have been very fortunate in that my kids have and had teachers that they loved. When your children enjoy school there is something great about it! Parents are involved and everyone who works at the school are great! Excellent job Chestnut!

Chesnut Elementary School 0

Posted November 06, 2010
The teachers really do care about the children and my kids are learning so much at the school. My children love the atmosphere and the teachers.

Posted November 05, 2010
The school is an extension of our family. The teachers and staff truly love and care for the children. They repeatedly go that extra mile to make sure each child receives the instruction needed to succeed and exceed acedemically and socially.

Chesnut Elementary School
4576 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA  30338
Last modified Chesnut Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chesnut Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top