Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Chesnut Elementary School 2

Posted April 16, 2016
This used to be a wonderful school under Dr Reid. Sadly, the loss of the charter is one indication of the direction this school is taking under the new administration. Parents are slowly being shut out. It's easy to like a school when your child thrives, but if your child has an additional need for learning or emotional support, the Administration sadly cannot be relied upon to deliver those services. I'm surprised by the lack of communication that comes home from the classroom unless it's for a fundraiser, and whilst I am a willing financial supporter of the school, I'd like to be included in more than that (e.g. Class helper, reader etc). That does not happen across the board in all classrooms. Lack of consistency is a problem. And yes, as with all schools, bullying can and will happen, unless the administration does something to intervene and curb it. This doesn't happen effectively at this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 16, 2016
LOVE the teachers! My child has shown great progress this year. Our teachers have always been accessible (even after hours when they don't need to be) and responsive to any concerns we have had. The classes are not as large as most of the elementary schools in Dunwoody. Even though they are not the size of private school classes, my student's teacher is on top of my child's individual academic strengths and where he needs more help.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted April 16, 2016
Yes, the school develops persistence, grit, and determination. It has a strong STEM focus and the students are taught that trial and error are components of success.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted April 16, 2016
The school fosters respect. My child respects his teachers and the administration. I only wish some of the parents were better role models.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted April 16, 2016
We always hear there is a zero tolerance policy on bullying. It is taken seriously.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 16, 2016
Thank you Chesnut teachers for instilling a love of learning in my son. We appreciate you.

Chesnut Elementary School 5

Posted April 16, 2016
My neighbor just told me about this web site last night. I didn't know it existed. Wow! My child is is so happy. True, there is a good amount of homework but not any more than other kids I know in other local schools. In my experience, students are given a few days to complete larger homework packets. We are in our third year at Chesnut and speaking for us, we have never seen 4 math pages in one night. Of course the teachers teach, and ours finds creative ways for the kids to learn. I love that. As the child of 2 educators, I sometimes feel bad for the teachers because they have so much that they are required to cover in a constricted amount of time. That's not Chesnut's "fault." DeKalb County has had its challenges but I think it is will be better with the new leadership. Walk the halls, visit during lunch if you can and you will see happy students. Last month there was a Friday night school dance and an auction and there was a big turnout of Chesnut supporters and content parents. A friend told me that at the auction she wanted to win her child an activity with the teacher but the competition was very strong and parents were practically stepping on each other for that. The kids were even having their parents bid on lunch with the vice principal. When my neighbor told me about this site I just had to come on to review and share my positive experience at this school.

Chesnut Elementary School 5

Posted April 16, 2016
We are so happy at Chesnut! The teachers are wonderful and my family has found the administrative only to be supportive. Neither my son nor anyone he knows has experience bullying. It is so unfortunate that happy people seldom take the time to post reviews of schools, products, etcetera, while an unhappy person will post several. Take it from me and everyone I know that Chesnut is great and we love it.

Chesnut Elementary School 1

Posted March 21, 2016
This schools facilitates bullying and harassment. Beware if your child is afraid to tell the teacher because the teachers call their children tattle tales and even read them books to reinforce this. They are also punished for bringing a grievance to a teacher at the end of the day where their clips are moved down. Class configuration takes precedent over classroom safety Additionally if you report the bullying you need to specifically say bullying and fill out a form even if bullying is physically demonstrated. Also be ready to deal with the County as teachers and staff are slow to document and quick to defend their practices.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted March 21, 2016
Thanks for showing Parents who care about their children's learning that Charter Schools are no exception to the rules that the public trust continues to be violated under the guise of education

4576 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA  30338
Last modified Chesnut Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.