Posted January 17, 2016
- a parent
Our daughter has attended Counterpane for 13 years and will graduate this spring. We are so grateful it has been her learning environment for all those years. The teachers and staff are talented and caring adults dedicated to helping children learn not only academics, but also a true sense of themselves. We believe our daughter will head out for college as a discerning young woman with a love for learning and a well-formed sense of things that matter, like integrity, respect for others, love of the arts, and a sense of her passions. She owes that in large part to her time at Counterpane and we are so grateful for it.
Posted December 21, 2015
- a community member
Counterpane provides an environment that encourages "Big Thinkers" and leaders!!!. I have watched my 11 year old develop academically as well as become extremely confident in herself and her capabilities -- anything is achievable. Counterpane encourages academic risk taking, freedom and creativity which stimulates her love of learning and growth.
Posted December 15, 2015
- a parent
Counterpane is a "Hidden Gem" among the many choices of schools in this area. The teachers and staff are in a class of their own. Students are treated with great respect and are celebrated for their uniqueness. The curriculum is tailored to the individual student allowing them to go at their own pace. Our child couldn't be happier.
Message to families
Counterpane is an island as school environments go...a utopia for learning. Over four decades of experience have paved a powerful understanding of how to frame each child in his or her path as an individual. The curriculum is strictly college preparatory...but designed in collaboration with student needs and talents. We celebrate 100% college acceptance since our first graduating class in 1991. Rigor, responsibility, independence, creativity, and love of learning go hand in hand in this amazing school. Our footprint is small, but our reach is enormous in building scholars.
Effective teachers demonstrate effective results. We have exceptional results with our students. At Counterpane, developing and supporting teachers occurs daily, weekly, and quarterly through impromptu discussions, scheduled staff meetings, and workshops. We are a community of teachers and students - very much like a family. We support one another as a team. Our ten uniquely talented staff members combined equal well over 130 years of experience. An effective school contributes to the growth of teachers and students. We are all learners first.
Amount of homework:
Homework is relative to the individual learner and does not look the same for any two students. We do not assign busy work. The responsibility for managing and completing relatively rigorous projects must be trusted to the student. Time management is critical in preparing for college and life. There are natural and logical consequences that result during that learning process as work is or is not successfully completed. As coaches to a student, we see homework as work a student needs to do outside of the classroom to satisfy responsiiblities and/or personal academic pursuits. It will be and should be uniquely individual.
Honesty, integrity, and fairness in students begins with the adults in their world. In essence, we are all students at Counterpane. Counterpane believes if we, as a community, focus on the environment 70% of the time, the other 30% will be successful academic learning. So far, it is a formula that has led us well. Kindness, responsibility, accountability, and self-worth open the doors to learning.
Posted December 04, 2015
- a parent
We were searching for a learning environment where our children could learn based on their individual needs and innate interests because we want our children to develop a passion for life-long learning. We don't believe in standardized curriculum & testing because we believe that everyone is unique as individuals. After an exhaustive search for the right learning environment we stumbled upon Counterpane and we feel extremely fortunate to have done so. Counterpane "follows the child" by giving them the freedom and space to explore in a nurturing and stimulating environment. We are really happy here!
Posted October 20, 2015
- a parent
We cherish Counterpane, it's creative environment and its awesome community of families. Our daughter looks forward to each new day.
Posted October 19, 2015
- a parent
We truly miss Ms. Denise, she was the experienced lower school teacher. The office staff they give you a great sales pitch. If you do decide to place your child at this school make sure you check them for ticks daily !!