No rating

Riverside Military Academy

Private | 7-12 | 450 students

We've been helping young men in grades 7-12 excel for over 100 years.

Living in Gainesville

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $106,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted October 22, 2013

RMA is a school with exceptional facilities and staff who are committed to the success of students. Young men, whether looking for a better school or simply underperforming elsewhere, or needing a different peer group, can benefit from RMA's structure. As parents, our family likes the emphasis on character, personal responsibility and academics. The sports and music programs are also wonderful.

Posted October 21, 2013

We cannot say enough wonderful things about Riverside. Our son is extremely gifted and lost all motivation in the public school setting. He was bored. In the short amount of time that he has been at Riverside, we have seen a huge turn around. He enjoys learning again. He LOVES his teachers, his grades are amazing. He stays incredibly busy with sports and activities. He is gaining amazing leadership skills that are setting him far and above his peers in the public school. We highly recommend Riverside. He is motivated, excited, and his self confidence is through the roof. It has been the toughest yet best decision our family has ever made. Riverside truly knows what boys need to succeed. They push them to be the best they can be. They encourage them to step out of their comfort zone and try new things. Failure in not an option.

Posted October 21, 2013

Our son is currently a boarding cadet at Riverside Military Academy. We just entered our third year with this academy and cannot even begin to describe the changes we have observed in our son. Every year we see significant growth in character development, academic achievement, and leadership qualities. We could not have asked for a better environment for our son.

Posted October 21, 2013

Riverside offers a holistic approach to educating boys to men which in turn prepares them for college and life. Not too many school left that offer qualities RMA provides. You can always witness the level of dedication and commitment on campus and while speaking to staff members, teachers, etc...

Posted October 21, 2013

This is my son's fourth year at RMA. This is his Sophmore year. He is a very bright young man and was previously at a school for gifted students. Even though I was very happy with his current school, my child lacked the drive to thrive in the self starter environment. RMA gave him the added structure and discipline to get him on the right track. I would highly recommend RMA to anyone who feels their child needs just a little extra push to be all that he can be. I also wanted to mention that RMA has around 95% college placement for each graduating class. And, the graduating class of 2013 received over $3 million in scholarships. I am a parent who is very involved in my son's life, both at home and at school and am glad to say that parental involvement is very much welcomed at RMA.

Posted October 21, 2013

Our son spent 4 years at RMA and graduated 2004. He is getting married and one of his teachers is attending even 9 years after graduation!

Posted October 21, 2013

I had knowledge of Riverside Military Academy for some years, and I was at a point in which I had to choose a direction for my son, to decide over separating from him for the purpose of a successful future or to let him fall by the wayside. I decided to take a chance and call the Academy to talk with an admissions counselor. I must say that I had a pleasant experience with Mr. Tom Martin and Mrs. Kayla Cox. Both counselors assisted and advised me on each aspect and I was able to enroll my son in such a prestigious school as Riverside. I have seen so many changes in my son already, and a complete turnaround in a very positive way. My son is talking about attending college every day. I am so glad I made the decision to enroll my son at Riverside and Riverside is an excellent choice for boys. The regiment, structure and discipline along with academics all contribute to making the cadets and the school a success. Thank you once again, Riverside...Im glad to know of such an impressive school such as this one.

Posted October 21, 2013

Best decision ever. Now I now that my son is in good hands. He has a guiding light that will take him to great places. He is showing good judgment, leadership and great academic accomplishments. I strongly recommend the school.

Posted September 30, 2013

Would not recommend this school to anyone. I attended this school my junior and senior year and I regret every minute of it. I'm not a bad troubled kid and in a way that'd the problem. If your a good kid then this school just depresses you and you'll hate it. If your troubled then this school makes you more troubled with all the fights, hazing, drugs, and a TON of tobacco. This school is literally like a prison and I would not recommend going here. To end on a good note the teachers are nice but everything else is as bad as it can be.

Posted June 12, 2013

We placed my son at RMA after he had a failing year in 8th grade. He has never been in any trouble but was totally unmotivated in every sense, and especially when it came to grades. We toured several schools and were most impressed with RMA. After his first year, my son is on a new path, enjoying academic success for the first time, as well as a significantly higher self esteem. The qualities RMA instills translates into real positive growth in young men and it has been apparent to both my husband and I. The structure has been excellent for my son, as has the required study time and the small classes. Our son now knows he is capable of doing the academic work. He came home for the summer proud of his work, proud of his school and eager to return in the Fall. He is enthusiastic about school for the first time. Next year he hopes to be a squad leader, and then continue to advance up the leadership track. Additionally, he is looking to college because the expectation comes from his peers, not just his parents. By far, this is one of the best decisions my husband and I have ever made. RMA is an excellent choice for our son.

Posted March 14, 2013

RMA has been a wonderful for our son. In public school, his grades were terrible. He would not do and/or turn in work (even work he had completed!). Doing fine on tests but getting lousy grades. He even failed a class. Nothing (organization coach, educational psychologist, teacher meetings, yelling, restrictions, no access to electronics) had a discernable effect on him. His options for the future were slipping away. By the end of 9th grade, we thought he might not graduate on time. There are many military boarding schools in our state (coed, all-boy, large, small, with post-graduate programs) but none impressed us as RMA did. The staff was welcoming, the campus beautiful. RMA is big enough to have a wide range of academics and extracurriculars.. Cost is on par with schools closer to home. We hate that RMA is 10 hours away but are glad that he can row there (we found only two military boading schools in the US that offer crew). The change in our son is remarkable. He has an A avg and is excited about his future. He is looking forward to his junior and senior years. He feels good about himself and is becoming the student we knew he could be. A hard but good decision.

Posted March 19, 2012

I have been attending Riverside since my Freshman year and for the time I've been here it's helped me change my whole outlook on life. The only way you could ever get a negative experience from here is going into the school with a bad attitude and not wanting to achieve anything. I had my outlook on it like that before I came, but when I got here, I instantly felt a sense of responsibility and integrity. Yes, the 30 day ROC cycle was difficult, but it proves the point that you are new and have to learn everything and get accustomed to new things and surroundings. It annoys me when people call Riverside a prison because its only going to be as good as the work and effort you put into it. It can work for you and your sons, just have the positive outlook and I'm sure you'll love it and see the change like my parents did! Come here!

Posted February 14, 2012

Riverside has been great for my boys! My oldest son, now a Junior, arrived on campus as a complacent student who barely passed 8th grade. RMA has transformed him into a motivated student with a 3.5 GPA, leadership responsibilities, Nat'l Honor Society, Varsity Football, etc. Now he's receiving recruitment letters from Major southern universities. My other son who is a Sophomore at RMA arrived as an already-motivated student. He's taking AP classes, ranked in the Top 5 of his class, Asst. Drum Major, Varsity Tennis, Raiders Team, etc. He is already receiving letters from colleges like Emory and Vanderbilt. My youngest son also attends RMA and has consistently ranked in the Top 5 of his class since the beginning of the year. The boys complain about the food, which hasn't impressed me at all since changing food service companies last year. In all, RMA is a great school for students who are willing to adapt and change themselves. The school has a slogan that reads, "An Opportunity For Success". RMA is a prep school, not a reform school. Parents need not expect remarkable changes in their sons unless their sons are willing to do the work.

Posted November 6, 2011

The school is a joke! Most of the teachers are only there for a check. Please only place your child here as a last resort! The President Col. Benson is clueless as is the Commandant LTC Jerrard, only if your family is wealthy will you matter. The campus is great, however education is secondary. This is the place where parents put there children because they don't have time for them and it shows. BUYER BEWARE! The turnover of teachers and students is very high. Most of the key personnel here have no idea what they are doing. The inter school communication is almost non-exsistent. If you love your son do not place him here, get him a therapist instead. Again Do Not Leave your son here, unless you have No Other Options!

Posted September 23, 2011

I was looking for a boys' oriented education for my son as he was becoming more disconnected from school and his fellow students. He had gone from being the "Top Boy" to a C average. I also wanted a school that went beyond academics and focused on the whole child - mind, body, and guidance in what it is to be good and what it is to strive toward a common good. The strict expectations and discipline are tough and expectations are high. But once over the initial hurtle, the environment has worked wonders to get my son back on track and headed into adulthood prepared to be both a leader and a good citizen. The math program is excellent, small size that moves the advanced kids along at a rapid pace covering a year and a half of material in the year. The literature classes are designed for boys and my son who had previously refused to read the assigned books is now in honors lit. All departments contained highly dedicated professionals who care deeply and do what they can to insure success. The school is not perfect, but when issues arise they are handled in an open and respectful manner. RMA encourages parent -teacher-staff interaction, the dean blogs, and a RMA Facebook groups.

Posted November 6, 2010

The school on my tour recently by far exceeded my expectations of a school for boys. The staff - super friendly and the curriculum is what I was interested in hearing more about for my son. I thought it was the best choice for my son and was happy to enroll upon acceptance.

Posted December 30, 2009

Riverside Military Academy is a spectacular school for young men. It is first class in every way. Three of our sons attend Riverside - one graduated last year. We couldn't be happier with the school. Our boys love it there and are truly part of something very special - that only a first rate military academy with caring leadership, faculty and alumni can offer. Riverside has 103 years of history and success to build on. 100% of it's graduates are accepted at colleges throughout the countryand the world. The campus is awe inspiring and is nicer than any prep school and most colleges. The athletics in so many sports adds to the cadets' incredible experiences at Riverside. Riverside is first class! It turns boys into men who are honorable and respectful. It is not training ground for the military (although many cadets attend service academies); it is training for life.

Posted November 19, 2009

I attended RMA for six years and it has done wonders for me! It helped teach me and guided me to being able to reach my full potential. RMA showed me that everyone has potential to do well and exceed extremely well, but they take it a step further. They help show you how and spend quite a bit of time doing it! Students who clam that they are unfair or that it was too difficult are the students that chose to fight authority instead of respecting it and learning how it works.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 7, 2008

I attended RMA at the end of my sophmore year and into my Junior year. When taking a tour I was impressed with the excelent facilities and the amazing athletic department. when I ended up attending there the place felt more like prison. It seemed that they were punishing everyone for no legitimate reason. there were some positives but dorm life left much to be desired.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 14, 2008

I am a parent of a cadet who started a few weeks into 2nd semester and he is thriving. Th eopportunities for physical fitness, JROTC and leadership give the boys the oportunity to grow in so many ways.Especially boys who love the outdoors, but may not have a passion for varsity sports.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation GA Institute of Technology
Texas A & M
U.S. Military Acad.-West Point
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
German
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Merit Scholarship Recipient (2014)
  • JROTC Academic Bowl Challenge - 1st Place in Georgia (2013)
  • Governor's Honors Program Finalist - Social Studies (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Presidential Volunteer Service Award - Silver Level (2012)
  • Presidential Volunteer Service Award - Silver Level (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Dr. James H. Benson Col USMC (Ret)
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • All boys
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Independent Study
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Boy scouts
  • Community service
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Drill team
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Flight Training

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights