Dickerson Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted August 26, 2014

I have a 7th grader at Dickerson and we are very happy with the school and the educational opportunity offered here. We moved to the area for the schools and he started at Dickerson last year as a 6th grader. Knowing almost no one in school along with all the other distractions of being a 6th grader, my son got off to a slow and slightly rocky start. All of his teachers responded with a great show of support for him and our family and very soon my son was back on track. He carries a full load of Advanced Curriculum coursework and is off to a great start to 7th grade. I only hope the school and staff is as wonderful when my younger son who is on level arrives at Dickerson next year.

Posted July 24, 2014

The most pathetic school of them all. My younger brother went this school, and he was actually abused by the teachers, and the principle did not move an inch to stop this. Rather she wanted to protect the school, and so she let the bullying continue. This school does not care about children it only cares about the rating it is given. I hope there is a leadership change, and this school truly lives up its responsibility within the community.

Posted May 23, 2014

My son just finished up his 6th grade year at Dickerson and overall it has been a positive experience. He took all AC classes and although the work was challenging at times, it was not overwhelming. It does take discipline on both the parent and student to make sure work is completed, but it doesn't interfere with sports or other activities. All of his teachers kept updated blogs which made it easy to check on assignments and tests. The administration is very approachable and easy to talk to about concerns. A small incident with another student was taken care of immediately. Dickerson is slightly militant, but I would rather that than chaos. There's very little hand holding and my son got a rude awakening when he forgot to turn in an assignment and received a zero. Welcome to real life. I imagine the majority of kids who go through Dickerson do not find high school that difficult.

Posted October 24, 2013

My son attends Dickerson. I am glad that we chose this school for his 8th grade year, however it is EXTREMELY challenging and at times I find it to be a "living like the Jones" type environment. For us parents who consider themselves to be average, this school beams with money, popularity, and having the finer things. There is nothing wrong with this but if you're a family whose not financially able to keep up with the demands, this is NOT the school for you. Luckily we are very "able" but I think it takes away from teaching the students to be humble and focus on succeeding. The band (which my son participates in) is very good and there a alot of talented students. The teachers and admins are all very polite and care for the students. Not a whole lot of negative things to say, but I would've have liked to have seen more diversity among the students and staff...

Posted August 9, 2013

To say the least, I did not enjoy my years at Dickerson. However, I'm glad I went through the Dickerson experience. I did not regret doing so. I found that there were only a selected few teachers I felt I could trust as a child. Because of this, I became friends with those who I had previously disliked in elementary school, and those who I had already befriended formed even stronger connections with me. I learned a lot at Dickerson, but I still feel like they pushed us too hard. I couldn't enjoy my subjects, and the teachers droned on and on - just looking at a textbook made me want to run away. I never felt supported by anyone but friends and family. In my experience, a student should feel like they can feel connected to their school. To Dickerson, I didn't. Once I got to 8th, my hair had begun to turn white. My doctor said it was from stress, so my mother transferred me to a different school. I don't think Dickerson deserves it's current "Best School in Atlanta". It will get you far, but the stress is ridiculous, and no student should have to go through that without so much as a choice of their own.

Posted July 6, 2013

I'm a student at this school, and have been since 6th grade. All I can say is that they need to really, REALLY, work on discipline, talking, pushing people in the halls, the teachers and their attitudes, heavy homework and studying, gossiping, connections, acceptance, and the school overall. Their "good" reputation is kept by parents that are doctors and lawyers. They need to have more clubs too, for people that aren't so physically involved. You know, it needs to be a school to everyone, not to cheerleaders and football players. I feel bad for the people that go to this school, at least the average kids. If you don't have straight A's and a group, it's hard. They need to be bringing out the talents in students, not just those popular few, but the kids who aren't looked at everyday. I'm currently going to 8th grade, and it's been a hard run for me so far. I hope that they let off the academics a little bit. I'm not stupid, but I also don't want to be working on homework all day. I enjoy other things rather than school sometimes, no, all of the time, since this school is so stressing and pressuring. I don't have 5435 characters to sum it all up, but I'll try to leave you with that.

Posted April 11, 2013

This is indeed a great school. I think that what some individuals here are complaining about is that in this school, academics is not dumbed down to appease the underachievers. If your child is struggling, get them help or help them yourselves. How about taking them off electronics until that D is a B??? Or is that too much work...

Posted January 17, 2013

This school is great if you are quick with your work and independent. Teachers do not have time to help everyone in their class, and in subjects like math, I received 2-3 homework sheets with a back and front that are expected to be done by the next morning. Teachers are very kind, but to be honest, if you are not getting A's and B's, they can be a little unfriendly. But, if you are very independent and are fast with your work and earn good grades, this is the perfect school for you. Teachers do not take the necessary precautions to quiet the students down during class, and at least a quarter of the class is bound to be the group that constantly misbehaves. The girls are very gossipy, and once one of them said to my face, "Why are you so cool and why is your sister so weird?". This upset me very much - there are some nasty bullying / gossiping issues that the school needs to fix. The music program is very nice,and the library is a very nice place to work and has lots of reading and learning material. The school has a nice gym and field to play on. I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are an advanced student. If you are a average student like me, you won't survive.

Posted November 6, 2012

Love this school! I am thankful we moved to this district for our child. The standards are very high. The overall atmosphere is about academic achievement. If you are looking for an excellent education in a very organized school.....this is the place! Our child is so much happier here than he was at his previous middle school.

Posted October 5, 2012

We just moved here from California. The school is much harder than what we were used to. so my sons grades have suffered the first quarter but have improved greatly .i have found the teachers to be very caring and attentive. There are help sessions before school if needed. And I can't believe you can see your child's grades on line and even look at his books . Amazing to us from So Cal!! We specifically moved here for this school and have not been disappointed!!

Posted July 23, 2012

I have a grandson that goes to this school and I am very dissapointed. He, as a child, did not elect to go here,.his father moved to Cobb Cty and there was no choice. I called the school last year as well as the School Board with the problems that to me are severe, and was told they moved to the wrong countyThey are too busy to deal with his issues and either he wanted to pass or he should just quit and go to a trade school..so if you are not a dr or lawyer or perfect then I would'nt advise anyone to move to this distric He is no longer active and his attire and attitude is so sad and bad now. I know that this is not all the school as he does not have a parent that cares what he does or where he is, but schools use to be full of mentors and people you could look up too. I was as a mentor at his elementary school for 5 years in another district and met the most wonderful teachers/counselors/etc... not here..so beware, they will flat out tell you that if your child is not capable of making A's then they will be disregarded at this school... No kidding...there exact words . they only teach the best!!! Kids can't help where parents move to. So sad

Posted March 1, 2012

Something to be aware of: There's a somewhat newer principal here that is apparently not sitting well with the seasoned teachers. This used to be the school that teachers dreamed to be a part of, but there are 8+ leaving at the end of this year. That doesn't bode well.

Posted November 15, 2011

This school is great if your child is Ivy League bound. Make sure you fight tooth and nail to get them into advanced classes because if they stay on level they will never succeed. The average child here does not survive. The teachers do not all update their blogs nor so they work with you. There is a high standard for advanced students but it seems that the on level classes just simply don't care. The teachers methods are outdated and sometimes inappropriate. I had a child come home and ask why Obama is a tea partier that wants to make us Socialist. The S.S. teacher had apparently gotten on a soap box that day and ranted about our current president. Thanks for molding their young minds Dickerson.

Posted March 23, 2010

I have two children that attended/currently attend Dickerson and I have been very pleased with the school. From my older son's experience, I can say the courses at Dickerson are rigorous and the teachers do not tolerate a mediocre effort. This environment of high expectations allows graduating middle schoolers to easily adjust to the pace of high school. I actually have had new neighbors that moved here for the schools tell me that they wished they had moved here before their children started middle school because they felt Dickerson would have prepared their children far better for Walton.

Posted November 18, 2009

This school is great. I came in the 7th grade and everyone was welcoming. Socially I am average everyone finds their group.Acandemically it is wonderful. Sometimes teachers are just a little to hard or stirct, but if you are looking into coming to this school; well, you should. It will change your life.

Posted April 30, 2009

This is a really great school! I am in the the Gifted Program, and it's amazing. The work is challenging, and they have really capable teachers. There's a lot of homework though.

Posted March 15, 2009

I'm a Student at Dickerson, Best Middle School In Georgia, I'm in 6th Grade, teachers are definatly not strict, amazing lunch, not really, and they have awesome acvtities, parents i would reccomend this school for you, you will be suprised how much your kid will improve

Posted March 13, 2009

As parent I can honestly say that it Dickerson Middle School is horrible. It is more like being in a military installation. The kids have no time for anything but studying. It's more like an an Ivy league Middle School. Don't send your kids unless they are absolutly prepared because they will flunk them out without blinking an eye. Some will even suggest that you take you child to a less challenging school. It's hard to believe that its a public school.

Posted December 23, 2008

I'm a student at Dickerson Middle School, and this is probably the best middle school in Georgia, love it, teachers are kind of strict, if you don't turn in your homework, they won't except late work and give you a zero(they give you about 1-2 pages of homework for every class),

Posted April 19, 2008

I'm a student at Dickerson, and I think it's a good school. I'm in the Gifted program, and if you want your kid to be in it, prepare them for loads of homework. I suspect it's only to prepare us for high school, and that's a good thing. The only things that students wouldn't like are propably the constant dress cuts, 23 minute lunches, and pretty much no break time except for class changes. Unlike the other posts about 'trashy teen-lit', I think that it's good they let us read what we want. They can't expect us to force us to read something we dislike, and banning books is just discriminating against good writers who want to share their work in a different opinion than strict parents. And anyway, Constitution says we can READ and WRITE whatever we want. So I think it may be strict, but it definitely prepares you.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

404 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

394 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

388 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 14% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• French
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

• Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Carole Brink
Fax number
  • (770) 578-2712

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Vocal lessons / coaching
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

855 Woodlawn Dr NE