No rating

St. James Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Savannah

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $129,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted June 7, 2012

We left a great Catholic School in the Atlanta area that we loved a few years ago and were not sure what school to choose here in Savannah. I spoke with several parents and toured the schools. They seemed fine, but not quite like where we came from. I decided to ask my 3 kids which one they liked best. They responded"St James!". They could not exactly say why they liked it best, they just did. It took me longer to figure it out, but now I know. It is walking into the school only the second time and getting welcomed by your name, it is the support and love you receive when something unforeseen happens to your family or a classmates, it is the open hearts and doors to listen if you have a problem or a concern, it is the challenge to always do and be your best, it is the love to learn and do better that you see in the children and staff.The faculty is always looking for new ways to enhance the curriculum. The sense of community you have is amazing. I can't say how happy we are to be at St. James, we feel very blessed. I am so glad I listened to my children this time, they knew!

Posted February 21, 2011

St James has been a true blessing. My kids went to public school in Chatham County and absolutely hated school. Since being at St James they are are happy successfull school loving children. My children feel safe, loved and encouraged everyday. Environment and Academically we love it. This truely school has changed our lives. God Bless.

Posted November 8, 2010

You could not ask for a better school with teachers that CARE. The teachers at St. James School have a passion not only to teach but to graduate a well rounded student who will continue to do well in high school. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to particiapte in the many activities at St. James. My son gradusted last year and I miss my many friends that helped me raise my son.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 1, 2010

I have had children at St. James for 10 years and have been thrilled with the academic program, moral environment, and religious atmosphere. My oldest is now in high school, but he was so well prepared at SJS that the transition has been smooth and he is making excellent grades. I cannot say enough about how much St. James has meant to my children and our whole family. We feel blessed to have found such a warm and nurturing environment.

Posted November 1, 2010

We have been a St. James family for nearly 40 years!! My husband and his 8 siblings all graduated from SJS. When it was time for our children to start school, we looked at other schools, but we were drawn to the high academic standards and excellent teaching staff at SJS. Today, we have 3 children who attend SJS. St. James still has high academic standards and an excellent teaching staff, but we also found a school that is an extension of our family and a reinforcement for our faith.

Posted October 29, 2010

I want to send a review to this web site in hopes someone will read this and choose to send their kids to this wonderfull school. I have two boys, one who graduated from St. James and the other in 7th grade. Both have benefitted greatly from the entire school experience at St. James. The education and Catholic values St. James promotes is unsurpassed. I believe based on what I have seen and heard that St. James kids tend to be at the top of their High School classes and that is a testament to the type of education you can count on at St. James.

Posted October 27, 2010

St. James is the leader in grade school education in Savannah. It's teachers are phenomenal and always go out of their way to help students in the ways which each students needs. The sisters being there gives such perspective to the students to put others before themselves and remember to remain in God's image. The facility has a new state-of-the art science lab with materials for students of all grades from Pre-K through 8th grade and along with the also state-of-the-art computer lab, library and SmartBoards in each classroom, the facility offers so many opportunities for students to reach their highest potential. They go above and beyond what is asked in education and do it in a loving and structured environment. There is a school counselor, speech therapist and nurse. Spanish, art, music, P.E. and computer are part of the curriculum for all! We are so excited to be here!

Posted September 30, 2010

St James school gives my child a good education overall. The teachers do their best considering all the aids are now obsolete. I would prefer my child did not have so much homework. Our family life at home is compensated on a regular basis due to the amount of homework given. I like Advanced Math starting at 5th grade. I like the new hands on Lab program. I wish all students were required to play an instrument during music class. I realize the extra cost involved but feel the benefit is worth the price. Bad behavior or low grades usually results in students prohibition from playing sports which is some children's only outlet. I would prefer focusing on the children's strong and weak points to correct behavior or suffering grades. God gave us unique talents, let them shine, don't squash them. Finally, change rainy day pick up!

Posted July 17, 2010

St. James School has been a wonderful choice for us. This is a school where academic excellence is of utmost importance and also where children are taught in a loving and structured environment. My children are challenged on a daily basis and I have watched them flourish. The leadership and teachers are top-notch. We are thrilled to be a part of St. James.

Posted April 29, 2010

St. James is an excellent school and wonderful community in which kids may learn and grow. The academic programs rival or exceed any school in the area. Special programs, athletics, extracurricular activities - all top notch. The IHM sisters bring a wonderful faith to all aspects of the school.

Posted May 23, 2007

This is a wonderful school and I highly recommend it. We moved into the parish two years ago and I am so happy I found it. The school is run by the Immaculate Heart of Mary sisters (yes, actual sisters!). Sr. Cecelia is an amazing administrator; not only does she know the name of every child, but she takes time out of her busy schedule to chat with everyone. All of the teachers are strong academic based classroom leaders. It's a small school with big school ammenities; a large computer lab with over 30 computers, classroom smartboards, Advanced Math, SAINT program, drama club, football, basketball, baseball, softball, golf, track, Rosary group, Scouts and a host of other activities. Most important, though, is that the focus is on the whole child. My children are inspired to achieve academically as well as morally/spiritually. I highly recommend St. James Catholic School.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Savannah

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8412 Whitefield Avenue