Savannah, GA
Students enrolled: 1,066

Southwest Middle School 3

Posted July 03, 2015
This used to be a very good school in 2006 when we bought our home here (8 or 9 out 10 on greatschools.org). Around 2008 a new, ineffective principal replaced Ms. Ball-Oliver, and superintendent Lackamy redrew school district lines in Savannah. Since then, there have been mass fights in the halls, and the school has dramatically declined. I wouldn't send my child here or any public school in the Savannah district if I could afford it. The cycle of poverty model and lack of emphasis on education by some families in this area is evident. The school needs to make this a safe place for children to learn again. I truly feel bad for the teachers, students and parents who have to put up with the few out of control students and their parents that are not held accountable. Teachers are constantly spending more time trying to maintain order in their classrooms than teaching, and they receive little help from the administration or the parents of those students. The students who are negatively impacting the learning environment need harsher consequences from the school administration (such as more out of school suspension) that places a heavier burden on their parents to encourage them to do something about the problem. Remove the students causing problems and get this school back on track. Sadly, as bad as it is, this is an average school for the Savannah District.

Posted February 06, 2014
This school is the worst school I have ever experienced in my entire life. The teachers don't care about the students and after two weeks we had to take him back out because his grade in all subjects dropped to almost failing. He now lives with us ,so he could go back to his old school. He was in band , the never played an instrument , they just did theory, as were in his old school he already had a christmas concert. The teacher had told him to bring his instrument to show the other students that he can play. I am asking myself what kind of teaching curriculum they have over there, I thought all the public schools in georgia have the same curriculum . II thought being a teacher is something to be proud of , but I guess at southwest Middle school all they care about is having a paycheck.

Southwest Middle School 2

Posted January 20, 2014
This school is absolutely atrocious. I just moved here and I'm a student in seventh grade, and I dislike this school so much. I've joined the student council expecting to do great things for the school but nothing ever happens in the meetings. I also met all the requirements for the honor roll, but was never invited to the awards ceremony. That's the other thing; all the assemblies or awards ceremonies are always disorganized. Always my teacher favors this one girl, who never does that great of a job when it comes to projects, because she brings her markers and tissues and food! The connections classes are horrible. In technology the teacher never taught anything and expected the class to just read from the book. My grade in that class ruined my average on my report card. I just can't wait to move again or switch schools, because I feel like this school is lowering my intelligence and making me feel more pressured. The worst school I have EVER attended. Try not to move into this area or if you do apply to another school. (Chatham County is chose school meaning you can choose which school you want to go to)

Posted October 30, 2013
Can't get anyone to call me back and my daughter was a b student last year at her old school now she is failing two classes and never has homework. They don't keep you in the loop as far as what your children are doing in class.

Posted August 24, 2013
THIS SCHOOL STINKS TEACHER S ARE RUDE AND GOT THE NERD TO SAY HAVEN STINKS I WOULD HAVE NEVER WENT TO THIS SCHOOL IF MY MOM DIDNT MAKE ME

Southwest Middle School 3

Posted April 05, 2013
let me tell you.......the counceler sucks she sits there all day long and don't return phone calls.my child wanted to get out of pe because she already did and it took forever guess where she is now. pe still after 3 weeks she said something. i am uncofterble that someones stares at her when she is in the locker room the teachers are the ones that does it. also that school is unsanitary they were termights in the hummanities classroom and eww not rigt flying all around them.hair always in the food.not a good school stem academy here we come

Posted February 20, 2013
DO NOT send your child to this school... I had recently moved to this area, my son (7th) grade came from A honor roll. After 2 months in this school his grades went to 30's. The teacher would not issue his book during class for homework, so he couldn't complete it, this went on for over a week. He was the only white kid in his class, which is a lot of pressure for any ethnic background coming to a new school. I have had to have a conference with the principal to get the book and his student id issued. The counselor is a major joke, would never return any calls, had to call dept. of Education to actually get her to do what she was supposed to do. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT moving into this school disctric, middle OR elementary. I don't know what kind of circus they are running at the school, but between terrible, unprofessional administration all the way around, the student bullying that is overlooked, and just the filthyness of the school in general is ridiculous and it infuriates me that our tax money is running this circus.

Posted November 20, 2012
There is no feedback from the teachers. The kids are not allowed to bring their texbooks home and no other resource was give to us. My daughter struggles every night doing her homework and searches the net to answer her questions. This is just the worst school she has ever attended.

Posted January 08, 2012
Unsure of why my previous review is not posted here so I'll make it short..take it from Me a Parent that had 2 Children attend this school in 2008, this is without a doubt the worst middle school in Savannah Georgia. I have seen Children break down in tears when they think that they will be attending this school. The teachers are horrible..

Southwest Middle School

Posted May 11, 2010
To much of D.R.A.M.A and I am just in the sixth grade.But the teachers are great teachers 4 the most part! *Silver eagles all the way*

Southwest Middle School
6030 Ogeechee Rd, Savannah, GA  31419
Last modified Southwest Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwest Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top