Nickajack Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 960 students

Posted March 16, 2012

Nickajack has come full circle since many of the less desirable reviews from 2005. The Principal, Mrs. Parks, the staff and faculty are a wonderful family in education. In 2008 we pulled our oldest child from Private school and started her at Nickajack in 4th grade. She has excelled and moved on to Middle School. Our younger daughter was a candidate for special education and would never have gotten the kind of one on one support in the private school system (outside hiring a private tutor). She has been there 3 years and is thriving after having amazing teachers each year. When the economy reduced county budgets, a group of dedicated parents formed a Foundation to raise funds to hire additional staff and other educational support. There is a reading club for Dads and participation levels are inspiring. Parent involvement is critical in a childs education. Nickajack provides more than their share.

Posted November 28, 2011

When we relocated to the Smyrna area 2 years ago we were very conflicted on which route to take regarding school choices and decided to just give Nickajack a try and we are so glad that we did!! We have three children that attend and each one LOVES school!! Most teachers have continued their education and are over-qualified which is to our benefit!! The gifted program is phenomenal and expects the students to go above and beyond! Our principal, Mrs. Parks, is always available. She loves our children and extinquishes any issues before they become problems. Nickajack had a score of 8 here on GreatSchools website when we first started our journey. I am not sure why the score has dropped because as a parent on the inside, I cannot see where anything has changed for my children or the level of education in which they receive. I can truthfully tell you that this score does not reflect the joy that we receive by being a part of Nickajack's family!

Posted October 20, 2011

Wow what a great second year we are having at Nickajack. The teachers are exceptional, the homework is spot on where my daughter needs to be, and my daughter comes home everyday happy. What more could you ask for in your school. We are looking forward to sending our other child to Nickajack next year to start Kindegarten. Thank you to Mrs. Parks for taking care of her school and making sure they are teaching our children above and beyond what is asked of every teacher.

Posted October 19, 2011

My daughter started kindergarten this fall at Nickajack and we have been thrilled. She has caring, smart teachers that individualize her work and the school has constant activities going on. Very happy with Nickajack.

Posted September 13, 2011

The principal and teachers at Nickajack have surpassed my expectations! After several years at private school, we decided to take a chance on the public school. I was worried that my children would "backtrack" in public school but they are actually being more challenged because the school is required to take each child at their current level, and then push them to go farther. The teachers quickly started finding supplemental services for my children to keep them progressing at a "private school" pace. Mrs. Parks, the principal, is really a class act and the PTA and foundation are very strong. The foundation (only in its 2nd year) has already paid for 2 years of a computer lab instructor. I can only imagine that more "extras" will be in the future.

Posted June 2, 2011

Our autistic son has been with Ms. Bryant for the last 2 years in the special needs pre k and I can't express in words how amazing that class has been for him. Ms Bryant and all the staff in the SNPK rooms are the best. They get five stars from me, My oldest son had a wonderful experience in the multiage class as well. if you plan to use the after school program be warned, some of the staff they use is just horrible. We have had several problems with the rude staff ( not all of them are terrible just a few rotten apples, the mother / daughter team that does asp are so sweet). So if you can afford better after school care for you kids I would highly recommend steering clear of nicknack asp

Posted May 18, 2011

As a parent of a child that will attend next August, I'm so frustrated as this seems like a great school. Wonderful, caring, very responsive stafft, Parent involved, great PTA. Why can't they get these scores up! I want to be a part of a school people WANT to get in. I am going help with the PTA as I want to be involved and don't want to stand idlly on the sidelines complaining. If you are a parent (and can) lets help get these scores up!

Posted April 27, 2010

WOW, this is a hidden gem in the West Cobb school district. I am really impressed with what this school has to offer students!

Posted April 16, 2010

They take the time to make sure the children are learning and the teachers are great communicators

Posted January 20, 2010

Nickajack is a terrific environment for our child. The teachers are extremely dedicated to making sure each child has what they need to be successful. Principal Parks is always available. The PTA is involved in so many aspects of the school's success. It is like one big family.

Posted January 19, 2010

This school has been great for our child. The teachers are caring and take great pride in what they do. Mrs. Parks in incredible! She takes pride in Nickajack and is dedicated to making Nickajack a great school.

Posted September 15, 2009

We recently relocated to California where my son is now in 1st Grade ... all I can say is ... I miss Nickajack! I miss the school and how well organized everything is (even lunchtime), the principal, the teachers, the standard of education and the parents (who are so involved). The staff are caring and compassionate. My son was taught at his advanced level and was challenged. I have truely left a gem behind. I too, had considered private schooling, but could not have been happier with my son at Nickajack. Nickajack is an awesome school.

Posted June 25, 2009

This past school year was my daughters first year at Nickajack, I must say that I was not that impresssed. Principal was awesome. Fundraisers it seemed like every other week. Her previous school was in urban Atlanta, and was much more nurturing, staffand parents just really seemed to care, I felt that the vibe at Nickajack was sorta phony..........meantime, my child had a great experience at Nickajack.

Posted May 27, 2009

We were extremely pleased with the Kindergarten program at Nickajack this year.

Posted May 23, 2009

We transferred from Gwinnett County schools this year and I can honestly say that Nickajack has restored my faith in Georgia Public Schools. Everyone from the principals to the lunchroom staff to the teachers to the ASP workers are truly committed to not only the education of their students but also the development of strong character. I love this school!!!

Posted May 5, 2009

This is a great school that works hard to get parents involved and is very much interested in the community. My son will be returning next year for first grade!

Posted November 7, 2008

I have been very impressed so far - my son is in kindergarten at NES and just loves it. He is actually very advanced in his reading and math skills so I was curious as to how NES would respond to his abilities. Within the first few weeks they had placed him in advanced programs and an accelerated reading program. I visited several private schools prior to sending him to NES and am very happy about my decision. He is thriving.

Posted October 23, 2008

we recently transferred to this school this year from another school in the area. and words cannot describe how AWESOME Nick A Jack is... I bought a Townhouse in the area because the school is do great..

Posted September 25, 2008

Mys son has been going to Nick-a-jack since kindergarden and he is now in the 4th grade. He loves this school as well as I do. The teachers and principal Mrs. Parks truly care about and only want the best for all of the students. His teachers has always gone over and beyond and truly challenges their brains. I could've been blessed for a better way to start his education!!

Posted September 22, 2008

Our daughter started at Nickajack Elementary this year and we absolutely love it. We considered private school and a charter school, but after visiting several times, knew that Nickajack was the place for us. The teachers are excellent and the principal is very impressive. It is so organized and cheerful. As a kindergartener, she is receiving the right amount of challenge and her reading is at a whole new level within the first month of school. She has a little bit of homework Monday through Thursday nights and she really enjoys it; she gets recognized for reading books, so she now asks to read every night, when before school started she lacked confidence and it was a fight to get her to read. Our daughter really looks forward to going to school every day. The PTA is extremely active, and there are countless waysto get involved. We highly recommend it.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

144 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

144 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

145 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

106 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4555 Mavell Rd SE