James Campbell High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2768 students

Posted June 11, 2014

Principle is NEVER on campus. Don t bother to try to get her to address an issue, she s only good at delegation, and her underlings are good at it too. If you want a problem solved, escalate it to the superintendant. Teachers scream for parental involvement, until they get it. Good in theory, poor in reality? Not all the teacher s are lazy, but dealing with 8-16 teachers a year between the two kids, maybe I just have bad luck probably not. Right now I know of one fantastic teacher, she had both my kids, I wish we could clone her! She s in the English department. Drugs are everywhere. It wasn t the DARE class they got that makes them know what drugs are all about you can smell it in the air. I ve seen drug deals happen at the park across the street if I can see them, why can t the cop that is sitting in the car next to me? T-shirts with a Campbell logo as dress code the girls made so thin you can see their bras through them, only required to be worn in the classroom. They need to be required to be worn in/out of the classroom so anyone without one on is easily identifiable. Speaking of security, four guys riding around in golf carts does not a security team make.

Posted August 19, 2013

The criteria used (i.e. age of school and overpopulation) to rate a school is ridiculous. Harvard was established in 1636. UCLA has undergrad English classes at under 500 per class. A more useful criteria is how many students received scholarships to major universities or average SAT score etc. I'd prefer if parents posted more useful rating criteria as the prior comment about age of school and overpopulation was a complete waste of time.

Posted August 4, 2013

My child will attend the school August 5 2013, school is old, overpopulated. Just waiting on inputs from my child once she starts.

Posted July 29, 2011

This School, is great in the education field. Athletics need more funding but all public schools in hawaii need that. I have gone throughout the whole Ewa Beach School System and it has done wonders for me! I would tell anyone that is in the ewa beach area to go to campbell. GREAT Sports Culture, i Bleed Orange and Black!! Sabers!!

Posted April 6, 2011

James Campbell High School Should Be One Of The Great Schools In Hawaii. I was recently enrolled in Campbell as a Junior and i only had like seven credits. Campbell have such great programs such as Novanet That Helped me Boost My Credits Up and Now I Can Graduate With The Rest Of My Classmates. Although Sometimes I Said It Sucks But Coming Here For Me Was Such Miracle. The Best Schools Ever. It Just That The Students That Love To Interrupt and Dont Come To Class At All Makes The School Bad.

Posted August 5, 2010

I am an alumnus from JCHS. I was so motivated to graduate and enroll in college. JCHS had a secret process to encourage each student to go to college. I won't tell you what it was and still is, though. No wonder the graduation rates have been up like 96% for a while. I'm glad to see my friends in such prestigious universities. JCHS is he first HI public school to offer the IB diploma and also is the first AVID demonstration school. Sports and JROTC are godly here. With a second middle school being built, the music and arts program will grow. The principal, however retired in 2010 but I'm sure the school will still live on to be one of the best in the state. Parents! Don't waste money at a private school! JCHS is as close as it gets to being a stepping stool for a better future.

Posted April 29, 2009

I use to teach at Campbell. It has it's plusses and minuses like all places. The biggest problem at the school is a lack of leadership. I was always butting heads with the administration when it came to student discipline; and I don't know what the principal does all day but I barely ever saw her. There are a lot of good kids at Campbell, it's a shame they are disadvantaged because of the administration.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 22, 2008

If your that mainland kind of person who is used to cold weather and air conditioning, do not come here. But if you're a laid back local, then this school is the place for you. One can say that Campbell is the very center of the world. In that I mean there races of all types. There are many oppurtunities presented here and I am taking great advantage of it. Friends are easy to make, and that includes teachers. The standards of this school are low though; I easily got some A's without putting much effort even if im in an honor's class (is it just me?) Otherwise I would say you could learn alot here if you put your back into it. Just be prepared to see some kids ditching class and providing a distraction for you. All-in-all its a disappointment for some, but a way of life for others.

Posted November 20, 2008

I taught social studies at Campbell for four years until called back on active duty as a Marine colonel following 9/11. The teachers were very professional and supportive dealing with all the challenges facing JCHS, Leeward School district, and DOE. For what its worth, I would consider returning to teach at JCHS next year after my tour in Okinawa Japan.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 5, 2008

I'm now a third year at Campbell and I am definitely content with what I see that's improving with my school. The thing about JCHS that I am happy about most is the motivation and determination the teachers have here to teach their students and giving them the knowledge they need to help the students when they enter college. My teachers are really willing to help answer their students' questions so much that I can't exaggerate it enough! Not only are the teachers great, but the students are as well. Everyone is friendly towards each other no matter what grade level he or she is in. I'm glad that now, students at JCHS can now be exposed to the International Baccalaureate program this school offers. I would recommend your child to enroll here. It's even an AVID certified school! I'm proud to have gone here.

Posted February 28, 2008

I came from a private catholic school in aiea and i decided to go to campbell. This school is really great. The teachers are amazing and i'm motivated to learn. Campbell is the only public high school on the island that has the international baccalaureate program. Even though it does have its faults, it's still better than most high schools on the island

Posted February 20, 2008

I transferred to Campbell after attending four other different schools. Once I got there, I instantly made friends and got to fit in. This school has offered so many great opportunities for me including sports, clubs and great classes! I have to admit, however, that the school is a bit run down and old, but like the saying 'You can't judge a book by it's cover!' Campbell may have the old, bad reputation from years past, but that shouldn't be count toward us today. The students, staff, and principal has improved greatly and I am proud to call Campbell my school!

Posted January 24, 2008

My kids are doing much better and are happier than they were when attending our district school. The academics are great! Their NJROTC program is tops. I'm pleased with most teachert.

Posted March 24, 2007

Wow! what can I say.my child recieved an IEP(spec. help) at her mainland school and after being here a month or so several teachers suggested skipping her to the next grade. I can only hope they were joking but, from what I have seen they weren't. No discipline, many fights and constant 'ditching' of classes. I have been to the school on no less than 3 occasions specifically to visit the principle and she is always 'off campus'. Good luck getting her to call you back. I have left 3 handwritten notes with details and 2 diff. ways to contact me but, no response. The teachers all appear to be well-meaning but, they are clearly not the cream of the crop.The school itself is rundown, hot, and dirty. I pray for the day we can afford to move to a better school district.

Posted March 11, 2006

Great school to enroll in. The educational program, Smaller Learning Communities (SLC) is great for the students to be closer to their classmates since they will be in almost all of the same classes together. Although, the Principal needs to show leadership towards the students. It seems that the students and school secretaries are doing all of the work for making this school a better place than it is. The school spirit is low. I don't know if it's because of our generally unpleasant reputation, the education, the students, the campus, or the principal. Other than that, Campbell seems to be getting better gradually each year!

Posted February 15, 2006

Here's the truth about the Principal: She's not really active in communicating with the students. She does about absolutely nothing to help out the school morale.

Posted February 11, 2006

There are only two types of classes in each grade: A normal class and an Honors Class. Why can't there be a transitional class in between an average and above average class? Our school is almost behind schedule. Most of the time, there are no people grading the teachers on their academic teaching skills. As a student, I know how the teachers teach. Some have 0% discipline on the students. Some don't teach us very well and when state tests come up, no student will know how to solve their problems. People should make this school a place for students to be proud of attending!

Posted January 7, 2005

I entered into campbell in the year of 1995 to 1999. during my stay there I became acustomed to the constant racial grouping that was going on. The monitary supervision of the students was poor and unsatisfactory. basically the students there ran a muck with no care in the world I should know I was one of them. But as the years went by it seemed to progress very well. After my leave from campbell I noticed the changes since the new principal arrived. The campus life seemed to be more fitting for a high school. The teachers there have a way of connecting with the children on a level that they can understand. So in a way the children are learning in a way that they can understand. Keep up the good work.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Biology I

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

746 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

747 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Source: Hawaii Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 50% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A49%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now