Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

After attending shafter elementary school for 2 years. Moanalua elementary school offers way more academically. It all comes down to the teacher your child ends up getting. There (1) 2nd grade teacher thats excellent and is new to the school. In kindergarten i had friend child attend Moanalua Elementary School and the teacher her daughter got 2 years ago yelled at kids in the classroom a lot. She saw first hand volunteering in the classroom.

This school is a bit overrated. It appears they are identifying themselves based on an old reputation of excellence. Besides having a child attending there, and volunteering in many facets of the schools operations, I've come to learn some very eye opening facts that are unfortunately contrary to the hype most will hear. The principal is extremely progressive with a very "everyone's a winner" mentality, and falls extremely shy in actual leadership and successful ideas. She's a micro manager in the most over-bearing, unqualified, and condescending manner imaginable. Just last year the VP, music director with 27 years at Moanalua, and a handful of teachers along with the DOE administrator at the school have left. The food is just HORRIBLE. The children are thrown a great deal of information but the school does very little in actually training them to be efficient and avid students, thus making the ability to retain and use the knowledge extremely difficult and very disappointing when put to the test. The children are denied skills training like speaking in front of the class as individuals or anything for that matter that may embarrass, upset, or potentially make them feel unintellegent for their age, all for the sake of political correctness; not an assumption, it was actually admitted to me by admin. employees. The teaching staff that remains is great, but the curriculum, principal, and overall functionality of the school has much to be desired, and quite frankly, I wish I sent my child elsewhere. In almost all rankings they don't even make it into the top 100; that's right, one-hundred! In some they even bomb into the 300s. Over $80,000 was spent on A/C units while the students lack essential supplies and technology that most schools see as standard. For example they had at one point 2 ipads per 26 kids on average, and it hasn't improved much. Seems like the leadership at this school is more concerned with how the students "feel," rather than looking after their actual educational needs. Personally I'd rather have a heat burdened educated child than a cooled down dumb one. The communication between the school and the parents SUCKS! Maybe admin. wants to leave parents in the dark in regards to how under developed and ill equipt their children will be in their very near future due to the horrid display of educational leadership these kids get...so sad.

Since moving to Hawaii almost a year ago my children have been embraced by Moanalua. They have made many friends and have been truly blessed with amazing teachers. They are thriving at Moanalua and while I'd like to make some claim to their success I have to offer up thanks to their teachers and the caring administration that sets high, yet achievable standards.

My son attended this school for the first half of kindergarden and we ended up moving west to buy a new home. I strongly believe it's the teacher that makes the difference. We loved his old teacher because she went beyond what was expected and cared for her students. We weren't able to have him return because they do a lottery for students with a GE and he didn't get chosen. Hopefully next year.

This school may have been good at one time but ever since my child has been here, I have been disgusted and frustrated with a lot of the administration and staff, especially the VP. My child's 2nd grade teacher was lazy and a scatterbrain, losing homework and our payment for the yearbook. I heard a lot of complaints about the VP but never had a run in with her until this year, she talks nice but is very condescending and seems to have a power trip. Thank goodness they finally found a good principal after all the turn overs. Maybe he can help the people get better character and educate them on people skills.

Teachers at Moanalua learn everyones names even the parents, great curriculum, and dedication of teachers. This school goes on many fun field trips too! This school was awesome- I am so sad we had to go to Fort Shafter Elementry- which is no where near the great experience of Moanalua

Awesome school for my two daughters. The Hawaii public school system isn't the greatest, but there are great school such as Moanalua Elementary that raises the bar. The staff, teachers, and administrators are great. Like anything else, if you get involved as a parent then the school will become better. I highly recommend getting involved in the PTA. My kindergarten and 2nd grader really love the school. With respect to academic achievement, we work with our children on their homework which is very appropriate and challenging for the respective grade levels. We have nothing but praise for the school.

Not too impressed with this school. This school gets great ratings because the children retake the state and Aims tests 3 times and the highest score is counted. Many teachers are too old to keep up with their class and the demands of this generation. Which creates a boring learning enviroment, bullies, and lots of lost library books even when you turn them in. Lunch staff is horribly mean and will allow bullying because children aren't allowed to speak up. The A+ (before and after school care) program is great but terribly expensive. There is only band/choir for the A+ students.

My son attended kindergarden and elementary here. The staff is the best. They are very involved and work hard to get parents involved as well. I was always informed of my sons progress. He needed speech therapy and by the end of 1st grade, I could hardly tell he ever needed it. I miss the speech therapist and special ed teachers! They were extremely wonderful and do not even compare with the school he is in now (in Alabama). Thanks!!!

My son has been going to this school for two years now. It is one of the best in the district. We are pleased with the academics and the nurturing environment. The PTA is the best I have ever encountered. We are a military family, so I want to encourage other military families to get involved in the school. The cultural diversity is a gift , with an added opportunity to meet some terrific people. I have seen too many parents unsure of where there place is at the school. Get involved and definitely go the school functions. They are worth it.

Last modified Moanalua Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.