Posted May 03, 2013
My son attended this school for the first half of kindergarden and we ended up moving west to buy a new home. I strongly believe it's the teacher that makes the difference. We loved his old teacher because she went beyond what was expected and cared for her students. We weren't able to have him return because they do a lottery for students with a GE and he didn't get chosen. Hopefully next year.

Moanalua Elementary School 2

Posted April 26, 2012
This school may have been good at one time but ever since my child has been here, I have been disgusted and frustrated with a lot of the administration and staff, especially the VP. My child's 2nd grade teacher was lazy and a scatterbrain, losing homework and our payment for the yearbook. I heard a lot of complaints about the VP but never had a run in with her until this year, she talks nice but is very condescending and seems to have a power trip. Thank goodness they finally found a good principal after all the turn overs. Maybe he can help the people get better character and educate them on people skills.

Posted January 18, 2012
Teachers at Moanalua learn everyones names even the parents, great curriculum, and dedication of teachers. This school goes on many fun field trips too! This school was awesome- I am so sad we had to go to Fort Shafter Elementry- which is no where near the great experience of Moanalua

Moanalua Elementary School 4

Posted July 16, 2011
Awesome school for my two daughters. The Hawaii public school system isn't the greatest, but there are great school such as Moanalua Elementary that raises the bar. The staff, teachers, and administrators are great. Like anything else, if you get involved as a parent then the school will become better. I highly recommend getting involved in the PTA. My kindergarten and 2nd grader really love the school. With respect to academic achievement, we work with our children on their homework which is very appropriate and challenging for the respective grade levels. We have nothing but praise for the school.

Moanalua Elementary School 2

Posted June 23, 2011
Not too impressed with this school. This school gets great ratings because the children retake the state and Aims tests 3 times and the highest score is counted. Many teachers are too old to keep up with their class and the demands of this generation. Which creates a boring learning enviroment, bullies, and lots of lost library books even when you turn them in. Lunch staff is horribly mean and will allow bullying because children aren't allowed to speak up. The A+ (before and after school care) program is great but terribly expensive. There is only band/choir for the A+ students.

Posted January 14, 2009
My son attended kindergarden and elementary here. The staff is the best. They are very involved and work hard to get parents involved as well. I was always informed of my sons progress. He needed speech therapy and by the end of 1st grade, I could hardly tell he ever needed it. I miss the speech therapist and special ed teachers! They were extremely wonderful and do not even compare with the school he is in now (in Alabama). Thanks!!!

Posted May 07, 2008
My son has been going to this school for two years now. It is one of the best in the district. We are pleased with the academics and the nurturing environment. The PTA is the best I have ever encountered. We are a military family, so I want to encourage other military families to get involved in the school. The cultural diversity is a gift , with an added opportunity to meet some terrific people. I have seen too many parents unsure of where there place is at the school. Get involved and definitely go the school functions. They are worth it.

Posted April 30, 2008
My daughter is currently in Kindergarten. There are only 22 students in her class. She has an excellent, caring, and nurturing teacher. My daughter is in a K-1 Enrichment Language Arts class (like GT). We appreciate the EXTRA that MES provides for their students. The school menu is better than a lot of restaurants! Kudos to the A+ Program. The A+ staff devotes themselves to the kids. Their creative crafts and high energy dance class makes it a place where kids WANT to be! MES is the BEST!

Moanalua Elementary School 3

Posted June 08, 2007

Moanalua Elementary School 0

Posted June 07, 2007
Our children attended kindergarden and 1st grade at Moanalua elementary. Fair teachers and a good school. But the teacher to ratio was too high, there was 26 - 28 kids in kindergarden, and 27-29 kids in 1st grade. Very difficult for a child to learn with a teacher to student that high. We are currently looking at private schools with a lower teacher to student ratio.

Moanalua Elementary School
1337 Mahiole St, Honolulu, HI  96819
Last modified Moanalua Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Moanalua Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top