PK-6 & Ungraded
Honolulu, HI

Posted February 24, 2014
We have found it difficult to get the same services Our Child needs in the special education classrooms at this school versus the ease in receiving the same needed services at others.

Posted February 06, 2014
My oldest son is in Kindergarten, so this is the first time we have dealt with the public school system. He also has many needs, warranting an IEP that we had to do before the school year started. The staff made it simple (as it could be), and was very helpful along the way. His teacher is also amazing, being patient and sensitive to his needs without babying him on any level (he still gets in trouble just like anyone else). He loves his teacher, and his school. I also love that its a military school and does NOT teach foreign cultures as a major part of the curriculum (as other schools in Hawaii do). Would HIGHLY recommend this school to anyone moving to PCS'ing to Hawaii.

Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School 4

Posted April 18, 2013
I really like this school a lot! It is a bit on the stricter side, but we've had such wonderful experiences with the teachers! My oldest has been there for 3 years and my middle has been there for 2 and they've been nothing but helpful and giving. I make sure that there is ongoing, open communication and they've always been great about it. Not a huge fan of the lunch room policies, (quiet time at the end of lunch, instead of going out and playing) but they really put a lot of effort into the students learning! And they take safety very seriously! Bulling is strictly dealt with!! As for the parent who's mad about the base gate being locked, that's the base securities fault, not the school's; they have no control over that! Btw, one of my kids has a learning issue and his teacher has been a saint about helping him succeed!!! To be fair, I have heard some negative things about a few teachers, but by far and away, most of the teachers there are awesome and willing to work with you!

Posted February 14, 2013
I was very disappointed with the staff at this school. My student normally excels and thrives in school. This year he was very unhappy with his teacher, saying the teacher yelled at the students, etc. We had problems with the teacher not letting my student use the bathroom on two occasions. The first occasion he was crying to me when I picked him up because he was in pain. I went to the principal twice about this. I felt like I was brushed off. Then my student told me the teacher scolded him in front of the class, telling him to stop telling his mom that she wouldn't let him use the bathroom, because it wasn't true. Since when are teachers telling students to keep secrets from their parents? Since when is ridculing a student acceptable? After another visit with the principal, I had no option but to pull him out and homeschool. The staff seemed to protect each other and dismiss my issues, saying that kids exaggerate, etc. I asked to have him moved to another class and was denied. So I pulled him out that day. The only person who apologized very sympathetically was the front office ladies. Homeschooling has already restored my son's love for learning, and he is thriving again.

Posted January 03, 2013
Rating this school with a star will undermine the rating system itself. The principle has received an award for several years in a row, which lets you know that the other schools are far worse when it comes to education. There aren't any gifted & talented programs offered by the school, although they make the claim to offer the language arts side of the program. Your child is guarenteed to spend time wandering the school grounds as "office aids" at some random time in the year, without a true explanation of why the children are subjected to missing instructional time while there is an office full of paid employees. If you are a parent that is accustomed to playing an active role in your child's education and are expecting teacher's to do their job and teach vice facilitate, you will quickly understand that this is not the school for you, unless you don't mind being frustrated and constantly being in the principle's face, to which nothing will really be rectified. So with that said, Nimitz just happens to be the best school on this side of the island. I'm sure that there are some good teachers there, we just haven't met them yet. I could but on, but I am out of space & 6 months in.

Posted November 09, 2012
I had high hopes for this school because of the reviews, but between the problems getting a guard to actually open the gate on time (creating a situation where children are locked off base), getting the school to actually provide a nurse for my diabetic child, & all kinds of other communication problems (ex. letting the kids handle military guns on career day & not hiring my kid's teacher until the first day of kindergarten), after less than four months we put in a housing request to move & are looking into private school & homeschooling options.

Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School 3

Posted July 16, 2012
The school also welcomed my children wih open hearts and arms. The biggest problem with this school is faculty guidance. I am disappointed in the way some of the teachers do not speak to the student when a problem arises. Tend to be very quick to go by hear-say and when a child does try to defend him/her self it is considered back talk. Be sure to never be late on the lunch payment or your child will get to sit at a table alone with bread and water. A form of degration and humiliation in my book. Another favorite form of discipline is to stand the child against the back wall of the cafeteria for speaking during lunch time. Though this is chosen on a "how do I feel today"mood by the attending teacher that has cafeteria watch. On the good side there are some exceptional teachers there! I wish I could name a few but when you get one you will know it pretty quickly as they all show their true colors pretty quickly. My only advice is don't let them push you around if you have to complain about a teacher or other faculty member as they seem to stick together whether that person was around or not. Aloha!

Posted July 06, 2011
my son has learning disabilities that this school absolutely refused to recognize and wanted to force my son to be retested to prove he needed extra help. The teacher even went so far as to insult his kindergarten teacher who had helped get him tested the previous year! the first grade teacher refused to listen to me, and then when she had issues with my son spent two months making him cry on a a regular basis. She then would yell at the parents of her students as if we were children, based on my experience with the school at the beginning of the year when i tried to get my sons disabilities recognized and helped i decided to just pull him and home school him. He is doing much better now and we hope to get a pass to get him to Mokulele Elementary, which i have heard is much better. my son was not the only one with this issue. if you have a special needs child avoid this school like the plaque!

Posted May 25, 2010
We are new military family and my kids (7 & 11) were accepted with open hearts. I love the staff, the principal, the A+ after care program, the nurse, the PTO, lunchroom staff...EVERYONE was always available, supportive & caring. My "haole" kids got more than they gave.

Posted February 10, 2009
This is an outstanding school, the best overall school in the Hickam community. Mr. Lee (Principal) is very down to earth and always looks out for his students best interest. The teachers do a superb job and always kept us abreast on our childrens progress. This school is more in tune with the local traditions and island history. Our kids miss this school.

Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School
520 Main St, Honolulu, HI  96818
Last modified Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top