PK-6 & Ungraded
Honolulu, HI

Posted June 19, 2015
The school's focus is on Education and Students first! The teachers and staff at the school make learning fun and challenging all at once.

Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School 2

Posted May 27, 2015
Our Children attended this school for a few years and everything has gone downhill since Principal Lee left. We have transferred now because of what is allowed to go on at that school now.

Posted March 12, 2015
Our family transferred here from MD in the middle of the school year. My kids missed about three weeks of school. My children's teachers are patient and strict. I like that. My children do too. At recess, the teachers would take to time to teach them what they had missed and sent me notes home letting me know how I can help and what they were doing to get caught up. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The military liaison is fantastic. I can't say enough good about him. The school is full Common Core. I don't like that, but Common Core is everywhere.

Posted March 08, 2015
i had to have my 4 year old tested for services. He has adhd, SPD, born deaf, has had surgery on both eye, and his ears. Has a speech delay, and is very hard to understand. He sees a behavioralist, and an occupational therapist. When the school did testing, nothing was found.He had no need for an IEP or for services. Because he was refused his health insurance will cover the services that he needs. When i received the paperwork for schools refusal of services i was quite surprised to see a page that appears that they forgot to correct. All of the results say he did not qualify for services, but one and it was a half written sentence stating that he was recommended for special services. It looked like they didn't finish deleting it. I called the school and explained what i had read hoping to get some clarification. Instead i got principal on speaker phone claiming she did not see what i was talking about in the paperwork, when i read it to her and told her the exact part of the page and which page. When i told her i was going to contact the DOE i heard whispering between her and a man, and she they suddenly saw it and explained it was there just incase he had needed services.

Posted February 24, 2014
We have found it difficult to get the same services Our Child needs in the special education classrooms at this school versus the ease in receiving the same needed services at others.

Posted February 06, 2014
My oldest son is in Kindergarten, so this is the first time we have dealt with the public school system. He also has many needs, warranting an IEP that we had to do before the school year started. The staff made it simple (as it could be), and was very helpful along the way. His teacher is also amazing, being patient and sensitive to his needs without babying him on any level (he still gets in trouble just like anyone else). He loves his teacher, and his school. I also love that its a military school and does NOT teach foreign cultures as a major part of the curriculum (as other schools in Hawaii do). Would HIGHLY recommend this school to anyone moving to PCS'ing to Hawaii.

Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School 4

Posted April 18, 2013
I really like this school a lot! It is a bit on the stricter side, but we've had such wonderful experiences with the teachers! My oldest has been there for 3 years and my middle has been there for 2 and they've been nothing but helpful and giving. I make sure that there is ongoing, open communication and they've always been great about it. Not a huge fan of the lunch room policies, (quiet time at the end of lunch, instead of going out and playing) but they really put a lot of effort into the students learning! And they take safety very seriously! Bulling is strictly dealt with!! As for the parent who's mad about the base gate being locked, that's the base securities fault, not the school's; they have no control over that! Btw, one of my kids has a learning issue and his teacher has been a saint about helping him succeed!!! To be fair, I have heard some negative things about a few teachers, but by far and away, most of the teachers there are awesome and willing to work with you!

Posted February 14, 2013
I was very disappointed with the staff at this school. My student normally excels and thrives in school. This year he was very unhappy with his teacher, saying the teacher yelled at the students, etc. We had problems with the teacher not letting my student use the bathroom on two occasions. The first occasion he was crying to me when I picked him up because he was in pain. I went to the principal twice about this. I felt like I was brushed off. Then my student told me the teacher scolded him in front of the class, telling him to stop telling his mom that she wouldn't let him use the bathroom, because it wasn't true. Since when are teachers telling students to keep secrets from their parents? Since when is ridculing a student acceptable? After another visit with the principal, I had no option but to pull him out and homeschool. The staff seemed to protect each other and dismiss my issues, saying that kids exaggerate, etc. I asked to have him moved to another class and was denied. So I pulled him out that day. The only person who apologized very sympathetically was the front office ladies. Homeschooling has already restored my son's love for learning, and he is thriving again.

Posted January 23, 2013
This school was horrible to me and my family. We had a situation arise and I felt like the principle and his staff do not have the interest of my child as well as other children as their priority. We were at this school temporarily and I could not wait to remove my daughter. Her teacher made her feel unwelcomed and singled her out. She always made her feel different from everyone else because she was only there temporarily. I wish that I never put my daughter in this school. She barely taught my daughter and just ignored her. This is not a school that conducive for learning. I was not impressed. I'm happy that my daughter goes to a different school.

Posted January 03, 2013
Rating this school with a star will undermine the rating system itself. The principle has received an award for several years in a row, which lets you know that the other schools are far worse when it comes to education. There aren't any gifted & talented programs offered by the school, although they make the claim to offer the language arts side of the program. Your child is guarenteed to spend time wandering the school grounds as "office aids" at some random time in the year, without a true explanation of why the children are subjected to missing instructional time while there is an office full of paid employees. If you are a parent that is accustomed to playing an active role in your child's education and are expecting teacher's to do their job and teach vice facilitate, you will quickly understand that this is not the school for you, unless you don't mind being frustrated and constantly being in the principle's face, to which nothing will really be rectified. So with that said, Nimitz just happens to be the best school on this side of the island. I'm sure that there are some good teachers there, we just haven't met them yet. I could but on, but I am out of space & 6 months in.

Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School
520 Main St, Honolulu, HI  96818
Last modified Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Admiral Chester W Nimitz Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top