7-8 & Ungraded
Honolulu, HI

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted July 10, 2015
The students are in groups and the teachers are supposed to be collaborating with each other regarding the students, work, etc. There were way too many times where my daughter came home with homework from one class due tomorrow; a test only announced that day for tomorrow; a poster board project only announced that day for tomorrow; and a huge project that was announced a week ago, but again due tomorrow -- and of course she has after school activities. Other parents would say their children would wake up at 4am to finish homework, study, or get projects completed. Mine would be up past midnight finishing it.

Posted July 10, 2015
I totally recommend Moanalua Middle School. I know several families who lie to get their children into this district (make up address, use someone else’s address, etc.). It has a strong reputation in academics and music. Math: The elementary school is on the Singapore math system (totally horrible), but MMS is regular math and my daughter’s math grades improved. But her math teacher still required his way to solve the problem or it was wrong even if there are other ways for the student to solve. Classes: Students are put in groups and will stay in the same groups and same teachers in 7th grade and 8th grade, unless requested to be moved. Dress Code/Uniform: MMS has a strict dress code with the tops having to be approved school shirts and the bottoms on a few choices. But shoes, socks, hair color, makeup, jewelry is up to the student’s personality. My very fashionable daughter was not happy with a uniform at first, but now its time to move schools, she wants to keep her uniform as it is so much easier she says and no stress on what to wear. Activities: MMS is well known for their orchestra and band program. They also are very good in sports too. The middle schools in Hawaii have competitive basketball, volleyball, track, and cheerleading. They also have clubs like drama, choir, art, ukulele, too. Bullying: There will always be bullying wherever you go. They have mean girls. The disrespectful things that come out of these uneducated girls are horrible. Sadly, I think the administration could have done more to control these mouthy twits; especially those who were attending MMS on a geographic exception. Bringing weapons to school is no joke here. Just this summer school of 2015, a kitchen knife was brought and the student who expelled and two students who knew about it but did not report it were suspended for the summer. Make sure you check our children’s backpacks. I continue to recommend this school and system (elementary and high school). My daughter was very happy; she was academically challenged; and flourished at MMS.

Posted February 27, 2014
This school is AMAZING.The teachers are amazing and they promote a tribes. It's beautiful and I love the Aloha everywhere. I was a former student but had to leave, I must say Moanalua Middle School is the place to be :> - Former student, Tatiana Salimeda

Moanalua Middle School 2

Posted January 23, 2014
My kids did not feel comfortable there. I had a chance to talk to counselor on the phone and when I told her the issue of my kid class, she got upset ( Idk why ) and hang up on me. After that I tried to talk to principal and left messages but I never got reply from her, Teachers acts nice in front of parents but hard to believe them.

Posted October 13, 2013
moanalua middle school is amazing! i am an 8th grader here at mms. the teachers are so nice and they try to help you when you need it, no matter how many times they need to explain it. they care about you, and some of them are like your friends, like you can tell them anything. some of them are so funny. because of their nurturing care, i have become an all F elementary school student to an all A middle school student (my elementary school was Salt Lake Elementary, I'll write a review on that later). I have kept my perfect 4.0 GPA all because of the staff and students here at MMS. The students here are great. We're like family and we look out for each other. We are at an awkward time right now full of drama and backstabbing, and i have to say we do have that at MMS, but we also do look out for one another and protect each other .We also keep our musical arts program, unlike most of the schools. Moanalua Middle School is a second home to me. Because of this I have hated the weekends and breaks and always look forward to coming to school. I will always miss it when I leave for Moanalua High School.

Posted January 30, 2013
I am a seventh grader at the moment and this school is awesome. i just moved from California and usually public schools are bad and the teachers don't care, but over here they worry about you and make sure everythings alright. i definetly would reccomend this school:)

Posted January 01, 2013
I am an eighth grader at this school. i have gone to this school for two years and all i can say is WOW i have never gone to such a school that has such great and easy to talk to teachers!!!! i have to say this is the best school i have EVER gone to. i have gone to SIX different elementary schools with my dad being in the millitary and all. I LOVE this school and i will deffinetely miss it when i move!!!!!!

Posted September 29, 2009
I am a 7th grader, and all I have to say is wow this school is amazing. Go Mustangz

Posted February 12, 2009
im a seventh grader in this school and so far of the year, MMS is AWESOME! the teachers are very easy to talk to and they are like friends in certain ways and the staff is pretty nice too! i love how teams and the grade level gets to go against each other in the spirit competition!! so far seventh graders are winning by a big difference!! anyway dis is a great school and students are very friendly here too!! GO MUSTANGS!!

Posted January 06, 2009
this school dose a really fine job in educating my twins i think more schools need to be disciplined like this school. there fun and also informative .my twins is in team 7c and well there doing a great job one of my twins use to be a c and d student but know she is a and b student with a grade point ad. of 3.833 there school is awesome.hopefully they will still continue to be good because ms.Wong (the principle)is retiring.

1289 Mahiole St, Honolulu, HI  96819
Last modified Moanalua Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Moanalua Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top