Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

The potential is for this school to be amazing. They don't seem to want to live up to that. There is a core of very burnt out teachers (hey I get it, I'm a teacher) who are just bitter and uncaring. Communication Is poor and there is no real leadership from administration. Total lack of innovative problem solving on any level. Will be leaving at semester, my kids loved school prior to this experience, we hope to find that again and put this in our past. Bright side, there are a couple first year teachers who are phenomenal, motivated, caring, compassionate and willing to think outside the box. I can tell they are really rooting for kids to both learn and find success. Rumble is they are looking at other schools for next year. I can't blame them. Teachers talk and emails parents about how much more they could do if it were a private school, problem is, that would not change their lack of caring, energy, or support of students. And frankly, comparatively this school has a wealthy core, access to technology, decent facilities, it could be wonderful. No school spirit, no encouragement of free thinking, we are still awaiting our first positive feedback ever for either of my kids from any teacher.

If you want your child to have a friendly evironment, this is not the school. My daughter had been subbed and pushed by a group of bullies, and the best part? The yachts didn't care. I am dissapinter with this school.

My daughter was slammed into a door by another kid then kicked/tripped by the same student. She was also verbally abused along with my wife from this child. The schools response for the students to sign a contract to stay away from each other....What is that? This boy is 14 and he's beating up a 12 year old girl and that's the response from the Vice Principal. Ridiculous. if I could afford private school I would send my child.

The teachers pay no mind to a child if their falling behind, the only teacher who really cared was my social studies teacher, and the whole school overall has that sorta Hostile feel to it, I wish I could go to a different school, but its the only relatively close school. Also, they may been one of the best schools, but the work is usually way ahead of us. -Student

From the 2 years we've been at this school, it appears the only thing of value is how many certifications and honors the teachers or principal receive, and the accolades of their Band Program. Everything else is shot down the drain: no sports program, improvement in SPED, or professionalism when responding to parent inquiries. My 6th grader said there are days when the teachers don't teach - only giving speeches about their personal problems because they had a bad day.

We had our daughter in this school for one year. It was the worst school year she has ever had. There was a group of mean girls who made her life miserable. We tried to help her work through it, but by the end of the year realized we just needed to get her into a safer environment and enrolled her in private school. The teachers were fine and we liked the IB curriculum, but the school did not take bullying seriously.

Some teachers are okay, however most are teaching their opinions. The 6th graders are reading a book about gay lovers because we have to "accept" everyone. I am against this only because we need to "accept" everyone at this school except the religious students. Any type of christianity is not acceptable to talk about at this school. Takes away freedom from the good kids.

So far communication at the school has been pretty good. The only thing is I wished we had heard about our child's progress from all the teachers before the progress reports came home. Some teachers had emailed earlier, but I didn't realize there was another class to be concerned about. The counselor has been working with our child and took the time to talk with me briefly just as the school day started. Luckily we were on the same page and she was already working with our child. While every class, subject, or unit studied will be interesting, our child has to understand the work needed to get done no matter what. Still waiting for all the back work to get caught up, especially before the end of the quarter. Appreciate the teachers and counselor's interest in helping our child succeed. Also like the fact the school provides opportunities for parent learning and encourages communication with our child's teachers.

My daughter is in 6th grade and loves going to NVMS. She feels the teachers are approachable and the expectations are clearly stated. There's more homework than 5th grade; however she finds time to complete her homework and participate in other activities outside of school. The principal had the vision and support to make NVMS an International Baccalaureate school. Hurrary for public schools!

My son is attending this school this 2012-13 year. He has special education (SPED) classes but is too excelled for them. We moved him into general ed classes but the teachers are too busy to help him and would rather help their more independent "smarter" students. So, he was forced back into SPED just to get the attention and time he needs to pass his class even if the content was far too easy. At one point, he was teaching one of his SPED classes because he already knew the content so well! He just needed more time. There is no transitional classes and no protection for students wanting to get out of SPED to more challenging classes. The tenured teachers ganged up on him last year and forced him back into SPED again because they felt he was too distracted. He wanted preferential seating in those classes and was not allowed. This same thing has happened this year and I am ready to pull him out of this school. These tenured teachers tend to be bullies and are not reprimanded by administration for their despicable and truly sad behavior. If you care about your developmentally delayed child, don't put them in this school!

Last modified Niu Valley Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.