Posted November 13, 2013
We loved this school! Our son had two of the best teachers any of our children have ever had. This is a school with high parent involvement and high standards.

Posted February 26, 2012
My childs class consists of 19 students this year. Last year, 2011, there were, at the most, 23 students in his class (with a teacher, and an aide). There are two parents helping out in the classroom each day, and throughout the day certain students report to other teachers for help (ESL, G/T, SPED, etc.). I guess some reviewers consider this a problematic class size. I don't. There are high expectations at this school. If you don't want your child to be challenged and pushed to their highest potential, you may need to find a more lax school. They build future competitors and leaders, and believe each child is one.

Posted February 26, 2012
I wish my child had 19 students and a aid at Aina Haina. She has 27 with no aid. The teacher though nice simply cannot handle all of the students. After reading your review I am going to have to talk to other parents in my class to see about getting an aide and less students. Maybe the aid in the other parents class could come and help our teacher. She is drowning!!!

Posted November 22, 2011
I was hoping to leave a good review here but sadly, as the years pass, this school gets progressively worse and worse. My son has gone here since Jr. Kindergarten. Though the teachers for the most part are nice, they lack effectiveness. Large class size and perhaps laziness are not a good combination for a child who needs a teacher to actually TEACH! Fourth grade has been the worst year of them all. My son's current teacher treats them like they're in college as far as placing responsibilities on them. They're in 4th grade, they still need to be taught & need guidance. It's like this school would rather pin any non-genius kid as "special" even if they're not so they can fill the school with only exceptionally smart kids & get a higher rating. Sorry, you're only as good as your worse student and in my son's class at least 1/3 of the kids are barely passing to failing many assignments. That speaks volumes. Giving a week full of tests and then a week of no tests is not conducive to learning or growing or retaining knowledge. This school leaves a LOT to be desired. The principal is rather lazy. The school doesn't do enough to combat & stop bullying either. Sad but true.

Posted May 04, 2011
Class size is over sized, teachers seem stressed, campus is dry and dusty. Not at all what I expected especially passive was the principle. He walked with his head down and didn't seem like a true leader. I would have preferred to leave an encouraging review but I was forced to pull my child out and place her in Lihiloho elem which is an exceptional public school.

Posted September 22, 2010
Well beyond anything I expected from a public school. My child has gotten superior attention from the teachers and faculty. Yes, the class sizes are relatively larger... with so many famiilies trying to get their kids into such a great school. But, the teachers are energized and enthusiastic about their job! Similarly, the couselors and resource/support staff are amazing! The curriculum is rigorous, but inspiring. My child's knowledge of the world is expanding while learning Japanese, Chinese, and Hawaiian! And to top it all off... the PTA is hands-down the most innovative and unified network of parents and community leaders I've ever heard of.

Posted April 15, 2008

Posted March 26, 2008
Aina Haina is a great school for my child! The high ratings are a direct result of amazing leadership and love for children! The principal and her staff working closely with my son are setting him up for success! I went to a private school,and I have to say Aina Haina is right up there with the best of them . This principal has heart and clearly loves what she does! She is a keeper!

Aina Haina Elementary School 0

Posted February 22, 2008
The school is great but the afterschool program is lacking. The kids are allowed to roam around freely. Not very structured at all. I have seen little kids walking around by themselves all over campus even near the public restrooms. I think something needs to be done about that for the kids' safety. Most of the time, the leaders are sitting around while the kids are all over the place. I guess they don't really care about the safety of the kids. I have approached them with these concerns. Their response is 'oh, they are going to the bathroom' - unsupervised thank you. I have worked at YMCAs before and never does any children go to the restrooms (or anywhere) unsupervised. That is just asking for trouble.

Aina Haina Elementary School 0

Posted January 29, 2008
I agree with other parents, the class sizes are too large. However, I disagree with the reasoning for retesting. As explained to me, the students retest to improve their grade NOT because everyone is 'flunking' the core subjects. My child retested even though he got an 89% and improved by 4 points. The electrical wiring needs to be updated as well as the teacher's equipment such as computers, overheads, maps, etc.

Aina Haina Elementary School
801 West Hind Dr, Honolulu, HI  96821
Last modified Aina Haina Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aina Haina Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top