Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

If my expectations hadn't been set by the information we received at orientation, we might have had a less miserable experience at MBTA. Unfortunately, we were told the elementary grades are fully homeschool, the middle schoolers are hybrid, and high schoolers are fully online and taught by teachers. The middle schoolers are NOT hybrid. They are fully online, and though the teachers make a valiant effort to educate the kids, the format, bugs in the tech, and fast pace from the get go make this a challenge. Our 7th grader was supposed to be in 6th grade this year (he started Kindergarten at age 6), but they forced him to skip 6th because they assign grade levels by age. Take note of that--if a child is above grade level or below grade level, it doesn't matter. They go into the age-appropriate grade. I'd complain, too, about the laudable but weirdly overemphasized Hawaiian history and culture aspects of what turned out to be a somewhat social studies/English class, but I get the sense that all Hawaii schools emphasize Hawaiian knowledge to the detriment of world and American histories. Perhaps the hardest part of being an MBTA parent is the communication. Even with the elementary teachers--who are mostly awesome and definitely try their best--it can be difficult to find out what's going on, what some expectations are, and what the processes are for taking care of administrative needs. Also, registering for the twice-monthly required classes is a nightmare. If you're not online right when classes open, you can forget getting into class. You have to email the teacher and try to get into some overflow seats. It's ridiculous and speaks to understaffing if they can't make room for all children in a grade to have *two* days per month (and that's the minimum--apparently, in years past, it was totally possible to get into more) in the classroom. Other issues: Pickup and drop off are crazier than usual. There is no longer a science teacher offering a science lab. The principal and elementary principal were charged with theft and records tampering and got a plea bargain to avoid serving--they're still working at MBTA. In all, it seems like a great deal and a fantastic opportunity from the outside, but I question if this has been worth the curriculum fund. We won't return next year.

My son has gone to MBTA for 3rd and now fourth grade. Great School for Parent freedom. He likes the Jr. FLL class and how we only have to go down to the school 2 x per month. You get to pick the curriculum you teach your child. They do provide funds for curriculum and/or extracurricular activities. They have a passion for teaching and it is nice to have teachers to talk to help out our homeschool portion. Very unique agreement compared to regular brick and mortar schools. I highly suggest the school.

My child's school is Myron B. Thompson Academy Public Charter School. She was enrolled midyear and the staff and teachers did a fabulous job of integrating her into their community. The teachers were extremely professional and quite skilled in producing the best from each individual student. A fabulous school.

MBTA is an excellent school. I am very impressed by the Principal. She took the time to meet my child and welcome her into the school. The school is striving to be exceptional and grow. The teachers are so supportive and involved with my daughters progress and as a result she is excelling and excited about academics. With the online format my child has the option of taking extra courses rather than be stuck in only having time for core coursework. This school simply emanates a positive learning environment and my child is very happy to attend.

MBTA is a great school for any parent who wants to see their child excel in academics as well as in their personal well-being. From the principal to the teachers, they look out for your child's best interest and will make the time to meet with parents. If you are not looking for a traditional public school, unable to afford private school or currently homeschooling your child but looking for a smaller setting (online), MBTA may be the school for your child. -Tiffany, Parent

MBT is fabulous. The teachers provide a strong support system for a homeschool parent, and they are always providing me with positive feedback on my children, but they also let me know ways they can improve and methods to help them. I can honestly say that without their support I probably would not have homeschooled my kids again this year. My children love going to class or activities there whenever they have the opportunity.

This is a wonderful school for self motivated students who want to pursue their interests in depth.

Its the perfect school for me, because I can pursue my career in acting and travel without having to drop out or having to homeschool.

Last modified Myron B. Thompson Academy - A New Century Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.