Mokapu Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted June 24, 2014

Last year was somewhat more productive than this year. Some of the changes in admin and newer hiring perhaps contributed to the decline of parent satisfaction. While we appreciate the honest hard work of many ( kids kindergarten teacher was good), there are some that are terrible additions contributing to the progress of our children well being. Some stories shared by parents concerning faculty are unfathomable (however perhaps due to lack of funds and the ongoing poor ed system in HI, the employee motivation at work is difficult to obtain and improve better hires). Better to homeschool.

Posted May 1, 2014

The only reason I give this school 2 stars is for my daughters teachers this year.They have been great. Other then that I would choose another school. My son a 5th grader has had nothing but projects this year.Seriously begining to think they just hand out projects so they dont have to do anything else. I have repeatedly asked for help for him and been given the run around. Coming onto a military base I was highly disappointed in what I saw would be my childrens school. I still dont understand why this is not a DOD school. We came from a DOD school in Japan and it was amazing. The fact the the Govt., or the military for that matter subject our children to such low educational standards is appalling. As of now when we get back to mainland even my daughter who is getting straight A's will be well behind the other children her age. So disappointed and saddened with the outcome of sending my children to this school.

Posted January 23, 2014

- Teacher Quality: first year can't really judge - Principal Leadership: don't know who he is. Never seen him. Maybe participate in a school pledge of Allegiance in the so called field they have. Maybe go around the classes and see that the teachers are teaching and how they are teaching. Maybe stop by lunch for each time periods to see how the kids are doing. What they are being fed. Maybe walk around the school and recess during the day to give a high five or play basketball with the kids. Maybe interact yourself with knowing who the kids parents are. Maybe get out of your office and socialize yourself with EVERYBODY. Maybe help out during drop off and pick up. Maybe SHOW that you care about our students. Test scores for math and reading are just over 50%. - Parent Involvement: I think it would be a LOT better if the school would actually care what parents thought and took action. There's no activities for the kids to participate in. Like a school fair with games and cheap prizes. A bake sale is a great idea. Way to get the school and families TOGETHER. There's none of that here. If you do take a chance here GOID LUCK!

Posted January 23, 2014

I have never seen a school that has such poor organization.. 6 year olds are allowed to walk home alone without parent permission... which i personally thing is wrong, good luck if you want to get in touch with someone by email to discuss the issue of not being able to find your child during pick up because they had walked home because the bell rings and everyone just goes. as far as drop off and pick up, the adults stand outside and wave for you to move further down.. that is all they do i have seen many parents having to get out of the car to open the childs door (which i would assumed was probably child locked) with an adult standing right there.. this is the reason the line doesnt move in the morning.. the teachers are okay though communication with the parents is not the best.

Posted January 23, 2014

My daughter has been at Mokapu for 3 years. We have had amazing teachers, and overall good experience with the administration. Never really had an issue school level. But parents don't get involved and it is difficult to hear everyone always complaining but never doing anything to change it. 800+ kids maybe 20 people regularly volunteer. The balance is off - making it harder for admin. to handle everything when parents don't seem to care. My daughter has done after school enrichment programs, track, math club, mad science and more - lots of opportunities. School wide Literacy night in the fall (free event) was a blast and The PTA Family craft night in December is an amazing event - event had Santa. Bingo night, craft nights, and so much more. Not to mention NFL Play 60 was yesterday and the kids had a blast. Hopeful that Science and Math night both upcoming will be great fun too! I wish there were more but I understand why without support it is hard for the school and PTA. I love our teachers and staff they know every child and go above and beyond whenever they can.

Posted November 6, 2013

If you have a special needs child RUN as far and as fast as you can from this school. We have been in Hawaii 9 months and have racked up 14 violations of IDEA. My son is 6 and attended part of his kindergarten year and is currently enrolled in 1st grade. They failed to provide services to him that were listed on his out of state ID, was found in a parking lot by a parent volunteering, started current school year a week late because they didn't have his supports in place, was told by his teacher she didn't have time to listen to safety concerns, freely admitted he is given no direct instruction, I could go on and on. The whole SPED program, from Administration down is the WORST I have ever come across. Please, seriously consider other options.

Posted September 24, 2013

As a former teacher and military spouse, I was so blessed to have had my children attend this school. There are all kinds of rumors out there about Hawaii schools ( that you hear from the military). Mokapu is very much like a family and know the needs of military children. My son attended first thru fourth at Mokapu. My daughter attended kindergarten. We move to Virginia last year. We moved to one of the highly recommended public school districts. My son and daughter took tests to see where they would be placed. Both are in excelled classes and have maintained on honor roll. Mokapu prepared them for future success. As a military family, we feel blessed to have been a part of Mokapu. The teachers are amazing!

Posted May 30, 2013

Wonderful school. My child was here for junior kindergarten, 5th, and 6th grade and my daughter for junior kindergarten. Both recommended to skip kindergarten and go straight to 1st grade because of the attention they got during Jr. K. All the teachers our children had were attentive, organized and truly cared about what the education our children (and other students) received during their time there. Like all schools, the parents have play just as important a role as the staff and the student and all of our concerns were addressed in a proper and timely manner. The principal and vice principal run a tight watch and hold the students and teachers accountable and has definitely improved since the last time were were here a decade ago.

Posted April 30, 2013

I have had 3 kids at Mokapu for the past 3 years ranging from Jr. K to 6th grade. For the most part the school has been god. My special needs child gets attention and his teacher this year has been amazing! All my kids have had a good experience at Mokapu and I have enjoyed the Teachers. Like most schools it has its downfalls, my kids complain about the food, its terrible! But other than that I am glad my kids went here!

Posted January 18, 2013

This is our third year at this school. While it started off rocky the first year, there has been a new administration put into place and now we LOVE it! The teachers are wonderful, the administration is caring, and the campus is beautiful! The new administration has really turned things around at this school.

Posted July 3, 2012

I have been with Mokapu for about a month and so far I have really enjoyed being a part of the team. I would really love to learn more about procedures, and policies and the day to day functions. Overall, tho, I think the school is very beautiful compared to some of the other local schools.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 22, 2012

My daughters have attended Mokapu for the past three years, ranging from grades K-3. While I was very disappointed in the administration and office staff at the onset of their education in 2009, this year has seen a DRASTIC change. At the beginning of this school year Mrs. Kane (former VP) has taken over the principal position, and the office staff, teachers, students and community has flourished under her guidance. Overall the school has done a 180 and that is evident in the overall feel of the school. While the teachers have always been amazing, I feel they have more confidence and support from their leadership. It should be noted: many of the grievances of earlier reviewers such as early Wednesdays, furloughs and cultural nuances are indicative of the educational system in Hawaii overall and do not occur only at Mokapu. Other great features of the school include their enrichment programs, AGT for academically gifted and talented students and the strong abilities of the teachers to teach to each child! The teachers my daughters had in the past did not teach to a baseline, but instead encouraged every child to reach their own potential.

Posted December 6, 2011

This has been my worst school experience. This is definitely a different culture and the word "proactive" does not exist. No matter where you are coming from it takes 24 hours to place a child in a class, that's even if you show up at 7:30 am. I'm used to teachers and staff that value education. Why you keep a child out of the class room. It is not a distraction to start a child in the middle of the day. That child could use that time to get aclimated and the mainland gets that. The staff at Mokapu is much too relaxed and has a nonchalant atitude when it comes to helping families.There is more than one occasion where I was given bad information about enrollment, luckily I was able to correct the administrator on the spot. If you don't know, don't make up information. That is just frustrating!

Posted October 21, 2011

This school is currently going through transition as many schools in HI are experiencing. However, the support community to include the administration, the transition office, the Parent Community Networking Committee (PCNC), and the outstanding PTA has provided commendable services to ensure the success of Mokpo Elementary Students. The current rating does not accurately reflect the positive learning environment occurring at this school.

Posted August 23, 2011

We just moved here and while the Hawaii school system overall is a year behind the mainland, the Mokapu teachers are trying very hard to push the kids to be the best they can be. My daughter is in 5th grade and special needs and so far, all of her accomadations have been honored and the teachers are great with her. They are taking the time to help her with her school work and socially to make friends. It takes the parents and teachers working together. It seems the upper level of the Hawaiian school system are the ones who are messed up and don't know what the schools really need. One change that needs to be made is getting out of school at 12:30 every Wednesday! And, the number of days the kids are out of school is just crazy! The kids and teachers need more time in the classrooms!!!!!!

Posted May 5, 2011

I have found that Mokapu has many good teachers (along with some bad), and some fun after school programs that the kids enjoy. There is a great new assistant principal. He is so friendly and welcoming to parents and kids, be sure to meet him! The major downfall to this school is with the head principal. I have found her to be at times very blunt and rude. Many teachers and base employees that I have gotten to know also complain of this and many other issues regarding the principal's decisions. I am amazed she still has a job there, someone should step in and change the leadership. Ending on a positive note...bottom line, if they were to get a new principal I would change my review to 4.5 stars because there are so many other positive points to this school!

Posted January 16, 2011

this is my childs first year at Mokapu. She will NOT go back next year. I will home school her. The teachers and the front office need to learn people skills. I talked to my friends on the mainland that is in the same grade as my daughter and we are so much behind the mainland. Hawaii schools are really bad. I think the Military should step in and take over. I cant be involved at all because i have two other little kids but I try to talk to the teacher before or after school and she is so rude!

Posted December 20, 2010

My child has been attending Mokapu for 2 years now and am VERY greatful to be apart of Mokapu School. As I was browsing through the reviews I came across some that were very untrue and negative!!!!! The office staff has been wonderful to my family. Everytime I walk in there they always greet me with a smile and a hello. I have been volunteering ever since my child started. I've witnessed a LOT of rude parents that complain about EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to get what they want. I've also seen parents be very pissy to the office staff/admin. They are the first who greet us and last and I give them a lot of credit dealing with unruley parents. Send your child to Mokapu, a GREAT school!!!

Posted December 10, 2010

After 3 1/2 years with my children at Mokapu, I can recommend it, particularly if you have a gifted child. Mrs. Tsuzaki is wonderful with the AGT kids (grades 3-6.) The after school enrichment activities range from Arts & Craft, to Drama, Choir, Lego Robotics, and Astronomy Clubs. Most of the teachers are great, although every school has it's share of burn-out. If the front office staff would develop better people skills and some manners, it would leave me with nothing negative to say! (Except that parents need to get more involved, but the school cannot counteract the deployment depression that some parents are suffering from, nor can it make people with island fever happy to be here.)

Posted October 8, 2010

Based off of reviews from this site I decided to get a GE form and try to get my daughter in a very good school out in town. Unfortuantely the class she needed to be in was full. After much thought we decided we would go ahead and give Mokapu a try. We went to go enroll her and met the rudest staff by FAR! They were very unprofessional, wouldn't even bother to get up from their desks to help me - there was one helpful person in the office, but even she wasn't enough to make up for the rudeness of everyone else. I decided there was no way my child could go to a school like this. The teachers may be great - I don't know - and never will because I cannot imagine dealing with that staff on a year round basis.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A49%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

Kmcas Bldg