PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Le Jardin Academy is a beautiful school led by an incompetent administration. The early years are a child’s best learning time, but children at this school are given almost no homework nor taught the need for homework (and good work habits). My conversations with other parents show that this policy of not giving homework is moving up the grade levels. As an example, just look at the early years of foreign language learning. These years are the best years for a child to form a solid foundation. Right now the school teaches French and Chinese. When kids hit middle school, I implore you to speak with them in their chosen foreign languages. It’s not a stretch to say that ALL of them will have a deer in the headlight look and won’t understand a word you are saying. Teacher turnover is unbelievable at this school. On change.org, there is now a petition to save a teacher. I am dying to know why. I can only imagine that admin and teachers don't get along. Don't get me wrong, the teachers are great. My child has loved all of her teachers. We inquired why my child doesn't get much homework and it seems to be admin policy. Wonder if it’s also admin policy to prevent students from learning how to spell English words properly. This is the final year of the head of school’s contract. Hopefully, there are board members with children in the school who have them scratching their heads on what their children are learning in the school and begin their search for a new head. The previous head (AA) had the school heading in the right direction and grew the school to where it is. The current head appears to be making decisions to hurt students in the coming years. There are no transitions, just brute changes that have students and parents very worried. Don't look for too many IB grads in the near future. The students are being set up to fail and look for the schools the future graduates select to continue their education at as follows: WCC, HPU, KCC, and NOT USC, UCLA, or even UH. Under the current admin, this school will never be competitive against Iolani, Punahou, even Maryknoll, HBA. They are even worse than the best Hawaii public schools.

It is very expensive for what you receive especially at the high school level. There is a lack of diversity, choice in electives and terrible communication. There are some excellent teachers and the campus is beautiful but for the amount of tuition parents and students should demand much more.

This is a truly exceptional school. The K-12 IB curriculum is rigorous, well balanced and worldly. The faculty and staff, from the top down, are highly qualified professionals that truly care about the students and go out of their way to ensure they succeed. The campus is modern and absolutely beautiful. The lower school also has a fantastic soccer program. Could not recommend this school enough.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The school staff practice polite greetings encourage friendships built on trust and teach the children to take responsibility for themselves and respect for all!

It is the happiest place on earth! The children learn through play, love each other and their teachers! I can't say enough about LJA junior school my daughter is happy and learning more than she knows!

This is a wonderful school. The teachers are into the program and invested in thed kids being the best they can be. The IB program is fantastic and prepares the kids for a real college environment. They don;t need to knock the schools on the other side of the Pali as they are equal if not much better. There are so many sports and after school opportunities for the kids to choose from. Their campus is spectacular. My son attended 4/5th Grade and only left due to a move. If we every go back to Oahu, we'd look to come back to LJA.

Our family moved to Kailua 2 years ago. I toured a number of schools and was very impressed with Le Jardin. I have been a pediatric occupational therapist for many years and have a very strong belief that you learn through "doing''. Memorization of material and worksheets are not the best learning strategy. I am very impressed with Le Jardin'sn method of teaching through active participation. They are asked to create and work with others on a daily basis. This is actually one of the most important life skills for success. If an individual can create on their own and utilize social tools to work with others; they are being taught at a very young age how to be successful in life. I am also very pleased with the parent participation at this school. It is a wonderfully friendly and truly welcoming environment. The staff does a wonderful job of challenging the children and providing a warm and loving atmosphere. I have felt a very strong sense of community at this school as well. Finally, the school offers a wide variety of clubs and activities for any child's interest. From hiking to science olympiad to soccer to 4H; any child can find a place where they belong.

I am a former student of LJA. It's strange to read reviews that give glowing marks to LJA, but feel the need to bash the other schools "over the Pali". Maybe they are so insecure with their little, isolated private school, that it makes them feel better to "know" that they are not wasting over $17,000. I attended LJA from K thru 5th grade and I was lucky enough to be accepted into Punahou and Mid Pac for 6th grade. I chose Punahou and I couldn't be happier. I always received glowing report cards at LJA and assumed that I would be just as strong at other schools, but this is not the case. It has now been almost a full school year and it has taken almost that long to adjust to a different school and a completely different form of teaching. At LJA, they care more about making the parents happy by giving away easy grades. School was a breeze and I never had to do anything. I never learned writing skills or study skills. I actually have to work for my good grades. At LJA, the teachers were never interested in helping me & just gave away grades so we wouldn't bother them. Yes I have to wake up earlier, but it is completely worth it. My friends say that I got out just in time!

I am truly impressed with Le Jardin Academy and the PYP. My daughter began at the school four years ago, then we transferred internationally for two years and were SAVED by the high level of IB readiness into another PYP school, and returned for 3rd grade. As a fourth generation product of Punahou, I had considered it for my daughter, but was actively discouraged by multiple friends with children there now and who teach there. Back to LJA - the content has been spectacular, the whole-child interactive learning is stunning to watch and the communication from the classroom teacher through principal, up to the interim headmaster is clear, constant and encouraging. Watching how carefully the school is looking for a new headmaster, and involving the entire school community, makes me certain they are destined for success similar to the processes that found the three stellar principals. I will not take my daughter from this school "over the Pali" for any reason, what this school offers is a strong, international and challenging curricula and the teachers/administration to support extraordinary learning! So glad to be a parent here.

I attended Le Jardin from 7th grade through 12th and graduated with an IB diploma. Reading some of these reviews is truly disheartening to me, as I loved my experience at LJA. While going through the IB program we all had our struggles with adjusting to a new curriculum, but ultimately it was for the better. Upon entering college, I walked in with 15 credits (a full semester) which was far more than the average AP student I talked to. For me, a good school experience is not just academics, and LJA is a community of students and faculty who love life and support each other through extra curricular activities, sports, and generally is a close knit community. This is something I wouldn't trade for a seemingly "better" academic education at a public or private school that doesn't have the same warm community as LJA. In HS years, school is what you make it - and if you chose to work hard the students and teachers will support you, especially Mr. Webb, Ms. Burvall, Dr. P and Ms. Yoshida! If it is within your budget, LJA is a great small learning community for any kind of learner and IB does nothing but help.

Last modified Le Jardin Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12