PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted May 14, 2016
My daughter Hi'ilei is 4 years old and attends Le Jardin Academy junior school in Kailua, Hawaii and we would like to say thank you to Madame Akina, Rochelle Fairbairn and all the teachers and staff! I am so grateful to find a school where the children, the teachers, the staff and the Principal are happy and seek to truly enjoy their work and each other! Hi'ilei loves her teachers so very much and is learning much more than how to write her name- she is learning how to like, love, share and be apart of a community. Madame Akina has helped create and foster this environment by her love and fierce support of her staff to make Le Jardin Academy a place of learning and happiness! I applaud her for this everyday. I can see her relationship with her teachers and staff and how she participates in everything going on at her school and supports her teachers! To Madame Akina, Mrs Fairbairn and the teachers and staff my daughter and I thank you we are so grateful to have found this wonderful community of love and learning! Thank you thank you thank you! Aloha Kristi and Hi'ilei Lucas

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 14, 2016
Love and respect off one another is taught in a daily basis. Learning through play and practice.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 14, 2016
The school staff practice polite greetings encourage friendships built on trust and teach the children to take responsibility for themselves and respect for all!

Posted May 14, 2016
It is the happiest place on earth! The children learn through play, love each other and their teachers! I can't say enough about LJA junior school my daughter is happy and learning more than she knows!

Posted January 20, 2015
This is a wonderful school. The teachers are into the program and invested in thed kids being the best they can be. The IB program is fantastic and prepares the kids for a real college environment. They don;t need to knock the schools on the other side of the Pali as they are equal if not much better. There are so many sports and after school opportunities for the kids to choose from. Their campus is spectacular. My son attended 4/5th Grade and only left due to a move. If we every go back to Oahu, we'd look to come back to LJA.

Posted March 11, 2014
Our family moved to Kailua 2 years ago. I toured a number of schools and was very impressed with Le Jardin. I have been a pediatric occupational therapist for many years and have a very strong belief that you learn through "doing''. Memorization of material and worksheets are not the best learning strategy. I am very impressed with Le Jardin'sn method of teaching through active participation. They are asked to create and work with others on a daily basis. This is actually one of the most important life skills for success. If an individual can create on their own and utilize social tools to work with others; they are being taught at a very young age how to be successful in life. I am also very pleased with the parent participation at this school. It is a wonderfully friendly and truly welcoming environment. The staff does a wonderful job of challenging the children and providing a warm and loving atmosphere. I have felt a very strong sense of community at this school as well. Finally, the school offers a wide variety of clubs and activities for any child's interest. From hiking to science olympiad to soccer to 4H; any child can find a place where they belong.

Le Jardin Academy 1

Posted March 02, 2014
I am a former student of LJA. It's strange to read reviews that give glowing marks to LJA, but feel the need to bash the other schools "over the Pali". Maybe they are so insecure with their little, isolated private school, that it makes them feel better to "know" that they are not wasting over $17,000. I attended LJA from K thru 5th grade and I was lucky enough to be accepted into Punahou and Mid Pac for 6th grade. I chose Punahou and I couldn't be happier. I always received glowing report cards at LJA and assumed that I would be just as strong at other schools, but this is not the case. It has now been almost a full school year and it has taken almost that long to adjust to a different school and a completely different form of teaching. At LJA, they care more about making the parents happy by giving away easy grades. School was a breeze and I never had to do anything. I never learned writing skills or study skills. I actually have to work for my good grades. At LJA, the teachers were never interested in helping me & just gave away grades so we wouldn't bother them. Yes I have to wake up earlier, but it is completely worth it. My friends say that I got out just in time!

Posted February 28, 2014
I am truly impressed with Le Jardin Academy and the PYP. My daughter began at the school four years ago, then we transferred internationally for two years and were SAVED by the high level of IB readiness into another PYP school, and returned for 3rd grade. As a fourth generation product of Punahou, I had considered it for my daughter, but was actively discouraged by multiple friends with children there now and who teach there. Back to LJA - the content has been spectacular, the whole-child interactive learning is stunning to watch and the communication from the classroom teacher through principal, up to the interim headmaster is clear, constant and encouraging. Watching how carefully the school is looking for a new headmaster, and involving the entire school community, makes me certain they are destined for success similar to the processes that found the three stellar principals. I will not take my daughter from this school "over the Pali" for any reason, what this school offers is a strong, international and challenging curricula and the teachers/administration to support extraordinary learning! So glad to be a parent here.

Posted February 09, 2014
I attended Le Jardin from 7th grade through 12th and graduated with an IB diploma. Reading some of these reviews is truly disheartening to me, as I loved my experience at LJA. While going through the IB program we all had our struggles with adjusting to a new curriculum, but ultimately it was for the better. Upon entering college, I walked in with 15 credits (a full semester) which was far more than the average AP student I talked to. For me, a good school experience is not just academics, and LJA is a community of students and faculty who love life and support each other through extra curricular activities, sports, and generally is a close knit community. This is something I wouldn't trade for a seemingly "better" academic education at a public or private school that doesn't have the same warm community as LJA. In HS years, school is what you make it - and if you chose to work hard the students and teachers will support you, especially Mr. Webb, Ms. Burvall, Dr. P and Ms. Yoshida! If it is within your budget, LJA is a great small learning community for any kind of learner and IB does nothing but help.

Le Jardin Academy 1

Posted January 25, 2014
I attended LJA from JK all the way until 8th grade, just before the IB program was instituted. I'm glad to say that I got out at the right time. JK through 5th grade was actually very good. However, in middle school things started to change. LJA was transitioning from a conventional school to an IB school. The transition was anything but smooth. The entire format was flawed. The teachers were not well trained on how to teach at an IB school and the students suffered because of this. By the time my 8th grade year rolled around, I knew I had to get out. I spent my 4 years of high school at Punahou. I know I haven't made very many big decisions in my life, but this was without a doubt the best. My friends that are still at LJA say it's the worst thing that's happened to them. The school is now filled with druggies and alcoholics. I'm very lucky to have escaped from this harmful environment. Le Jardin is not worth the $17,000 a year. Parents, tuition can be very expensive. Why spend it on a school that doesn't know what they are?

917 Kalanianaole Hwy, Kailua, HI  96734