No rating

American Renaissance Academy

Private | K-12 | 120 students

Student diversity

Living in Kapolei

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $400,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,230.

Posted Wednesday, July 23, 2014

This school has many things going for it, but one staff member and has got to go. Their vindictive, manipulative, aggressive (both forthright and passive) tactics, along with using their spouse's Honolulu Police Department title to intimidate and show power, have created a toxic environment for the school. ARA is young, still learning, na ve, fragile, and I believe along with other issues that were somewhat inevitable in ARA's beginning, the impact of that staff member has really taken the place down, putting the former CEO in in-fair positions that should have resulted in the teachers dismissal, but ended up creating a you know what storm. The school had potential, but I think if they would have embraced and marketed the right things, what made it an ohana, it would have, and still could, be a great place to call your school.

Posted March 28, 2014

Best School On The West Side of Oahu! My son just love ARA. He has just changed so much for the better going to school at ARA. This school has taught my son the love of learning! Thank you teachers staff and administration.

Posted March 16, 2014

We love the school! We have children in both the upper and lower school. Our lower school teacher is IB certified and speaks three languages! My child just loves to go to school. As for my upper child is challenged and has been excelling above her grade level. She always talking about how much fun her class had at camp and how close and friendly the students are. I can say how happy we are with the administration and staff! Keep up the good work ARA.

Posted February 28, 2014

My child who attended ARA is doing very well in college and just received an internship to an Ivy league school for the summer. If it weren't for this school he would have never had such great opportunities. His 4.0 from High School, still stands today in college. Thank you ARA!!

Posted February 14, 2014

All I can say is our son is college bond! He is going to graduate this year and has received an academic scholarship from his first choice of colleges he applied to. The America Renaissance Academy has saved our family $48,000!!!! All our family can say is thank you for giving our son the opportunity to succeed. Mahalo

Posted February 14, 2014

As parents of a child that attends ARA we are so pleased with the staff and administration. Our child has improved above her grade level on both mathematics and english in the four and a half years we have been the the school. The long school days are what we are use to in the school we came from overseas. We are so happy to find such a school in our back yard. Well worth the money!

Posted October 30, 2013

Teaches the same as a public school just with uniforms. Overpriced. Cliquish teachers and students because majority of the students are the children of the teachers. Pretty much paying for their free education if you're an outsider. Always volunteering to help with their assistance. No cafe for the students. No PE or optional playground. Some teachers are great but the local teachers and staff are lazy as heck! Lack of communication except for when they want something. A great place to send your kid that probably wouldn't last in a regular private school. Other schools are worth the money, this one just happens to be in Kapolei.

Posted May 2, 2013

Ok, so Im staff i want that to be clear. I have worked at other independent school so I have some insight. ARA is 6 yrs old now and has worked off the growing pains associated with a new school. If you want to compaire us with schools that have been around 100 -200 years you going to see some differences. Take a look at what those schools had to offer in their 6th year! I think we are doing a very good job and continue to grow every year. Have we made mistakes along the way? Probably, but like we teach to our kids learn from the mistakes and dont make the same mistake twice. Most of what i read on this site is positive and the few negitives i read are not an issue now, maybe they were before I got here, but i assure you they have all been addressed. Make up your own mind, come see us, Ask the important questions, see for yourself. I think its unfair that the negitive coments are on this site for ever!! Even after they may no longer be valid.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 15, 2012

I wish I could give this school a "5" star. They have the potential but lack in many areas. Many teachers there lack the skills educators should possess, including elementary or early childhood education degree's that focus on foundations of education and educational psychology. The administration is ran by 2-3 employee's the rest is parent volunteer's. Teacher turnover is extremely high, Student turnover the same. Your child will have homework no matter what they advertise. All school year long you will be required to pay more fee's so don't account for just the base 12K tuition. It really adds up. It seems your child's education is not the #1 priority there. The school does not have a base curriculum individual teachers do. I have noticed with the males in the school not many of them stay more than two years. There is no Principal they have a CEO who is a parent to 4 children there 3 students and 1 teacher. Until the school can operate more professionally I would have to recommend you do not enroll your child there. It seems convenient with the long hours but your child s education,well-being, and your money should be highly taken into consideration.

Posted September 5, 2011

From a students standpoint, I have to say it's the best school I've been to. Unlike the other schools I've been to, where there are so many students that you are 1 out of 300/400 students, the school is small enough that every teacher knows your name, and every student knows each other. Not only do the student know each others names, but the school prides itself on being like a family. I like being able to walk into any classroom and be able to hang out with a group of friends, regardless of grade. I've been there for 2 years and am starting my third tomorrow, I can't wait to go back.

Posted August 15, 2011

I would think twice about sending your child to this school. The made promises to my family about the education my child was recieving and the opportunities they would have going here and there was no follow up. The only teachers that I did enjoy decided to leave because of the overall school atmosphere. I ended up paying for the computer teaching my child instead of a teacher and that was only if the teacher was even in the room. I would've been better off keeping my child in a public school.

Posted June 21, 2011

I am a parent of two children that attend ARA. We love the school! I agree that there were issues with few of the staffs, but there were also issues with few parents who were never satisfied. From my understanding, the staff members with issues will not be returning. I admit, I am looking forward to a new school year without the same parents whining about this or that. Good luck to the new school that have them. I feel that my children will grow at ARA with the new staff and new attitude the school has. As parents, we feel our children are learning and have positive attitudes about the school and curriculum. I understand sports is an issue, but ARA is still a new school and we are hopeful the sports program will be fully developed in time. ARA is a good fit for our kids. It is unfortunate that it wasn't for some. We love the teachers that are staying and look forward to the new changes.

Posted May 19, 2011

To the best of my knowledge I have never heard anything bad about the Performing Arts side of ARA, but until the school gets its ducks in a line they will not receive my approval. The school does have some very strong teachers, but with the few good apples there is a few very nasty snakes. I have never heard of so many disgruntle teachers, parents and even students. Some parents have even removed their students from class mid year. The school is attempting to run like a business and it is struggling. Learning is not number one students are allowed to walk over teachers and when trouble hits watch out because fingers will be pointed to advert blame from ARA. The sports programs are limited. Many teachers have chosen to leave, along with many students. Directly from a parents mouth " If I'd known I would have saved my money." This school has potential, but needs a new approach at management to be beneficial for its students. Something must change or this school will fall apart, thats saying that it already hasn't? Good luck and tread lightly.

Posted May 6, 2011

Sadly, have found more unprofessional, un-concerned teachers than true professional educators here. There are a select few of wonderful ones, but they are far and few between. When you attempt to discuss this with Administration, you will quickly identify that they are the root of the problem. Avoid this school. Your child's education is more important.

Posted April 20, 2011

The class sizes are small therefore giving each student more one-on-one educational assistance. School day starts at 8:30 a.m. giving my child more time to rest and enjoy breakfast at home. They also do all their homework during school hours. Their day ends at 4:30 p.m. I really wish they would offer more athletic programs like softball or volleyball and not only focus on swimming and Performing arts !

Posted March 6, 2011

We feel the Stanford EPGY at this school should only be supplemental for grades k-6. Seems the school is slowly going making this program a requirement - like it or not. Today, for grades 3 and higher, it's required and not supplemental and may be spreading to k-2 for the 2011/2012 school year. We hope the schools admin dept. begins to take into consideration what the parents desire in addition to their own agenda. Overall the school is ok - teachers are very good - children should learn from them.

Posted March 3, 2011

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate this school a solid "7" For some odd reason the leadership team feels that children will learn more from a PC than a teacher...........the teachers are great - but the PC will slowly replace them- ---very sad. Children need more human interaction - not less. Since this is a private school, certainly parents will have the option to enroll their children elsewhere, but i think most would prefer to stay. We sure hope they reconsider the direction they are heading or at a minimum ask the parents (they do pay for the school) if they are fully on board with the direction they are dictating. They may find most parents are not fully supportive............. Warmest aloha

Posted December 16, 2010

Love the small classes and family atmosphere. It's great to see the older students helping the younger ones. The school also has a real commitment to the arts, with 2 arts classes required in Pre-K through 12th grade. An added bonus is university level dual credit courses available to upper school students from such prestigious schools as Stanford and the Univ. of Missouri.

Posted March 31, 2010

This is our first year at ARA and my children are extremely happy. I love the extended school day where homework gets completed at school with the help of the teacher. Small classes, 16 children or less ensure that every child gets the attention he or she deserves. Children learn at their own pace and are placed in different classes according to their ability. ARA has a well rounded curriculum which includes a foreign language, physical ed, music and art, my children's favorite subject. The teachers and staff are dedicated, experienced and innovative individuals who challenge the students to become extraordinary. The after school programme is wonderful, but can become pricey for extended families. The school is still in it's infancy and with that comes teething problems, but they are minor. If you are looking for a school where your child will flourish, then ARA is for you.

One Lexington Avenue