PK-6 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

The teachers at Pearl City Elementary really care about their students. They strive to foster the whole child. The school provides free tutoring during all breaks and many extra curricular activities.

My kids have been here since kindergarten and they love it! We have had great teachers every year and they are above grade level. We are sad to move this year.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

There are notes around campus that share the teacher's background and schooling. Very proud of their background to share with parents and their students.

Develops character: Agree

Again, staff members made my husband and I fee at ease. I honestly felt my worries were quelled after having a meeting with their support staff member. He was very professional and seemed to know his stuff relating to children with special needs.

Excellent staff to assist me all of my questions and concerns. Made my husband and I relax after hearing stories about their principal.

This school is soooo slow at doing anything. Their website is NOT updated on time, they do not have help for student (i.e. tutoring) for K-1, I had to hire a tutor because my child was not getting the attention needed and there is very little or delayed communication from the teacher to the parents (i.e. in class performance & grades on their tests, we don't see that until the following week). I do not know about you but my child gets rewarded for having a good week and getting 100% on his tests, but what kind of reward is it when it is not until the following week? There are simple ways to solve the schools short comings but it is if they truly want to; 1. Update and continuously update your website (i.e. calendar, teacher lists, events). 2. Have an online classroom for parents to look at to make sure their child is doing the homework and has their daily/weekly progress reports (FOR ALL GRADES!). This would alleviate sooo much miscommunication between teacher and parents. (i.e. homework online used for online access to homework assignments, study materials and lesson notes and a parent portal that provides parents access to student attendance, progress reports, and report cards).

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Full of excuses as to why they don't understand why some of their students just don't get it. I am a parent and you "should" have a degree in teaching and I know why they don't get it. They need to get out of the classroom to learn. Common core is not an excuse to take your students outside to teach them about science or collect stuff for math. I made a hop-scotch for my child's sight words to learn. Teachers are lazy and just want to get paid for nothing.

Amount of homework: Agree

So the school finally got an online classroom and it is great if it was setup for individual students. But it is defaulted to the weekly homework. My child comes home with additional work that is not on there and is suppose to do it. That just tells me that it is the lazy man's online classroom.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My child's teacher constantly questions their ability and makes them second guess themselves. Never praises their achievements but calls out their failures in front of the whole class. This kind of behavior from the teacher discourages my child from wanting to try to participate in the class in fear of being wrong.

My children have had great experiences at Pearl City Elementary! We arrived here 3 years ago and have had incredible teachers. Both of my children are performing above grade level. Those of you moving from the mainland, don't hesitate to enroll your kindergarteners! Truly amazing teachers with years of experience. The staff has been kind, professional and welcoming from the moment I arrived at their door. I actually choose to live in Pearl City over Kailua, just so my children could attend this school.

Last modified Pearl City Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.