Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My oldest goes here and it's been a great school! The only thing I'd advise of about this school is there needs to be more communication between the parents and teachers and more updates on school events.

I have two students attending this school and have volunteered with several of the teachers. First, this is NOT a DoD School. It is a Department of Education school. I like the teachers, but with all schools, there are different approaches to teaching. The office staff are awesome and the teachers are very helpful. I do think the security of the campus is lax as I do not think there are video cameras being used. Theft was a big problem for my youngest this year. She quite frequently had snacks, money and her homework stolen out of her book bag.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The office staff is dishonest and unfamiliar with running a front office. they are rude and very lazy...would rather turn a military student away because they don't want to do paperwork then think about the well being of the child after a move. This is our child's home school and we have opted to have them transferred to a local off post school where the locals show much Aloha spirt to everyone!!!

Absolutely would not send my kids to this school if it were the only one on earth left standing! The office staff is very unprofessional. The nurse is clueless and no one know anything about anything in the office.

Wheeler Middle School My daughter started 6th grade at WMS this year. I was worried at first because I have heard about how bullying is bad and things of that nature. I have to say so far I am quite impressed with the school. Her teachers are great at getting back to me quickly when I have questions or concerns. The office staff has been friendly the few times I have interacted with them as well. Overall, my impressions of the school are good.

Some of the teachers have too much of an 'island' mentality and are very lax in giving instruction in the classroom. In addition, their principal has a very passive personality and doesnt require teachers to fully monitor their classrooms during class time. Students are left to teach themselves or depend on one another for project completion. Definitely not the typical teaching styles that are normally found in DoD schools; very disappointing and confirms why their overall test scores remain low for students. Wheeler is the lesser of the evils when it comes to Hawaii schools as their scores remain higher than others schools in the area but still well below the national average.

Overall the school staff and administration is top notch. Very visible on the campus and at school activities and events. If you are a parent that is involved in your child's education then your child will do wonderfully well at this school. WMS offers a variety of sports, specialty groups and activities for students to get involved. Beautfiful campus which is amazing since the school is bursting at the seems with students.

I was very worried about this middle school because I hadn't heard great things. This was the most wonderful middle school any of my children have been to. We have seven children and two of them attended this school while we were stationed in Hawaii. I felt like we were all part of the family or Ohana while we were there. The teachers really care about their students. They want them to succeed. They tailor their programs to appeal to the students and help them learn while they are having fun. The teachers were easy to get in touch with and they always kept me informed of what my children were doing. My son had teachers with Master's degrees in math. The teachers also took time out of their private after school schedules to come and support our children in their other activities. We are so sad that we had to leave and would not hesitate to recommend this school to others.

Very poor parent/teacher communication. Teachers did not seem to care about the well being of my child. The teacher/student ratio was exceptionally high for middle schoolers. If your child didn't understand a lesson, then they just moved right along to the next lesson without caring if he received it or not. So basically if your child didn't get it, they had the" too bad" attitude. We decided to remove our child, and homeschool. His attitude is so much better. Very Poor school!!!

My daughter was behind in school when we moved to Hawaii. The staff at Wheeler Middle school helped her to catch up with her peers. The local children were her best friends while she attended there 2006 and 2007. The hardest thing about leaving was she misses all her local friends. We are a military family and we loved Hawaii.

Last modified Major Sheldon Wheeler Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.